Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Did it again (yes, again) ... Remington Hepburn (Read 6899 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Re: Did it again (yes, again) ... Remington Hepburn
Reply #15 - May 14th, 2020 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Well, I was finally feeling up to a trip to the range (with the help of a friend who was kind enough to carry my shooting gear and guns to the firing point for me) and shot the RH in .45-70.

I loaded a few rounds each with 300 grain RCBS cast, 405 cast, and a few Lyman 535 Postel cast, all with 22.0 grains of IMR4198.  Surprisingly it seemed to shoot best with the lighter 300 grain RCBS bullet so I'll have to check the twist in the barrel and see what it is?

Anyway, it made for a pleasant change of scenery to get out to our club since I've been cooped up in the house for ages first with a nasty bought of flu and then with Sciatica pain all down my right leg and foot.  It was shooting some fairly decent groups, but nothing to brag about yet.  Now I'll have to start fine tuning some loads and see if it'll shoot better than it did on this first trip to the range.

The current sight settings from the previous owner weren't even that far off for my blurry old eyes, and I only had to bump up the elevation about 2 turns on the knob to get it near to centre at 100 yards.  Still going to replace this Italian repro tang sight with something much better though.  Forgot to measure the hole spacing on the sight base of course, so I'll have to do that to see what else will fit it.

All in all it was a good first outing and this rifle is a pleasure to shoot, especially since it has a much better trigger than my RH in .40-50SS.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Re: Did it again (yes, again) ... Remington Hepburn
Reply #16 - May 14th, 2020 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
PS: I also took and shot my C. Sharps Arms 1874 Hartford Sporter in .50-70 Govt and put it on paper for the first time.  Was puzzled at first since it didn't seem to be on paper at all (100 yard on our rifle range), but then looked a bit lower through the spotting scope and "found" a beautiful cloverleaf group of about 5 rounds ... right through the wood frame of our target butts!  Ooops!  It was shooting about 3 feet low of point of aim for me and had to use the flip up ladder sight up to about 1/2 way to finally get onto the target.  This rifle will obviously need a tang sight with lots of adjustment too ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint