Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 220 SK (Read 5003 times)
JSB30
Senior Forum Member

220 SK
Apr 6th, 2020 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Anyone know what 220 SK is, it is on a Highwall. By Pfeifer about 1950

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 220 SK
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
There was a K-Swift. Maybe a dyslexic stamper? You know, anything done to make a Swift hotter probably means the throat is shot anyway. Unless, maybe it is a shortened Swift? Have you done a chamber cast?

IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
It is up on auction and only says a 220 Swift will not chamber.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
220 Short Krag?

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
I have a Sharps Borchardt in 220 Saunders Krag, also put together by Joe Pfeifer and crew and stocked by Monte Kennedy. The Saunders Krag is nothing more than a rimmed 22-250 based on the Krag case, and you can use 22-250 dies to load. Forming cases is a little more difficult unless you might have a set of 22-250 forming dies. It involves shortening and necking down the case. Mine is wonderfully accurate, and the workmanship exceptional. The trigger has been reworked and is as light as you can get with a Borchardt, short of a set of Zischang double sets!!
You could get forming dies from CH4D, or you might be able to use other size dies to get you there. Don't hesitate to get back to me with other questions. Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
This is also stamped Kennedy and may be one of his stocks. Doesn't sound like it would be to hard to make.
Barrel Stamped
.220 SK
C.G.S. L.A.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
It would be of intwerest to me if you could post a photograph. Thanks if you can manage it.    Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
His stamp on mine reads Pfeifer rifle co. Roscoe Calif. I always likd the roscoe part!!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I can not afford so will tell you it is on Gunbroker

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks JSB30   Typical of a Kennedy stocking job. The Pfeifer Rifle Company put out very fine rifles. The rifle barrel maker Sam May as well as Kennedy worked in the shop. Sam May went on to start Apex Barrels, and Kennedy moved to Montana and continued stockmaking. In his book on checkering, there are photographs of a couple Highwalls stocked by him in 220 Saunders Krag. Joe Pfeifer's first love was flying, and only turned to his second love gunsmithing, when he lost his pilot's license for flying an experimental aicraft in 1939 when it was forbidden. His son showed me photographs of his dad parachuting from that aircraft, surrounded by pieces of it when it came apart. He was one of very few who could fly everything from rotary engine aircraft, to the latest jets. He was able to regain his pilot's license in the early 50's and gave up gunsmithing and returned to flying, operating a small airfield in Columbia Ca. in the Sierra foothills. His son was capable of the same, having learned to fly at a very young age. He flew two tours in Viet Nam in choppers, then with 10,000 hours flying time joined united airlines to fly another 36 years before retiring. Their full story is fascinating.It was an honor to get to know the family. Joe Pfeifer's wife, Madelaine was an absolute delight, and I enjoyed meeting she and Butch for lunch at a small nearby airport when invited.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 12:10am
Print Post  
rkba2nd,

Thank you for sharing that interesting bit of history. 

JerryH
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2020 at 1:12am by JerryH »  

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 3:37am
Print Post  
    You are more than welcome Jerry. It is sometimes amazing when you meet people, who at first seem like just ordinary folk, but once you get to know them and gain their trust, so many people have lived incredible lives. My mother always taught me to live life fully and to leave no stone unturned. I tried to do that, and was rewarded in unimaginable ways.    Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Back when I first got a .22-250 I formed my cases from .300 Savage by first running them into a .250 Savage die, and then into a .22-250 die. Worked well if I didn't try to run the case in fully in one pull. I'd think the rimmed case could be done the same way with good results.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Since JSB30 is not buying the rifle, it is a rather moot point. I was fortunate to get a set of Pfeifer form dies with the my rifle. You could, as I said in my first post, one could use other die sets to form cases, and you might be able to get there using  300 and 250 Savage dies, given that you happen to have both die sets. I have found, having a large number of wildcat cartridges, that it is better to size down in smaller increments. It is at times necessary to turn necks, as you may be forming the neck from thicker brass in the body of the case. A good example is the 224 Pfeifer rimmed which is also formed from the Krag case, but is much shorter. The best route can be to obtain a full bushing neck die set from Redding and bushings for the intended case to reduce the case in progressivly smaller sizes. Depending on the end use, that die set also allows you the luxury of longer case life and potentially more accurate loads. Whew!!!  my apologies      Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 8th, 2020 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Its true forming in small increments is best. Even if it can be done in one pass less case loss going slow. Calibers other than expected work well too. I form 25 Krag with 7mm08 & 260 Remington then 25 Krag F/L die.  All based on .308 which is about the same length and taper as 30 Krag and off the shelf common dies.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint