Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Casting questions (Read 4566 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Casting questions
Apr 2nd, 2020 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I am starting to expand my casting from 25 and 32 caliber bullets to 40 caliber.  I just bought a brass mold from Accuratemolds and cast up 75 or 80 this afternoon.  After the mold got up to temperature it cast pretty darned consistent for a rookie like myself with 60 falling into my keeper range of +/- 0.5 grains for a 337 grain bullet.  I am using 20:1 alloy from Rotometals and a RCBS Easy Melt furnace.  Now I have two questions.

1:  What is the best casting temperature for 20:1 or what do you look for to decide to increase or decrease the temperature?

2:  How long do you let the sprue harden before cutting it?

Thanks.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Re: Casting questions
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Bulseyetom wrote on Apr 2nd, 2020 at 7:58pm:
I am starting to expand my casting from 25 and 32 caliber bullets to 40 caliber.  I just bought a brass mold from Accuratemolds and cast up 75 or 80 this afternoon.  After the mold got up to temperature it cast pretty darned consistent for a rookie like myself with 60 falling into my keeper range of +/- 0.5 grains for a 337 grain bullet.  I am using 20:1 alloy from Rotometals and a RCBS Easy Melt furnace.  Now I have two questions.

1:  What is the best casting temperature for 20:1 or what do you look for to decide to increase or decrease the temperature?

2:  How long do you let the sprue harden before cutting it?

Thanks.  Tom

I cast both 20/1 and 30/1 at 775 degrees (according to a Lyman thermometer) and cut the sprue as soon as it solidifies.  This works for me on everything from 118 grain 25 caliber bullets up to 535 grain .45 creedmores.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
I cast with two molds, and one reason is that while I am filling one mold the other has enough time to fully harden. 
As for temperature, with me in the northern climate, I start with 800-850, which I realize is hotter than what  most people go with. However, a little cool breeze can suck a lot of heat out of a mold (especially an alum mold) and sometimes the higher temps are what I need to get good bullets. I have been casting 30/1 so your results might vary. I have also gotten good results at 775 or so, sometimes it just depends on the day. 
I hope this helps.
Joe

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Tom, I would start at about 775.  After about 20 bullets they should be consistent weight and well filled out.  If they are not, go hotter.   

I watch the sprue puddle harden, wait a few seconds, then cut it off. 

If the melt is to hot, the mold will take too long to cool and the sprue will be slow to harden.   If the mold is too hot, leave it open for a few seconds.  It will cool 10 times faster open than closed. 

If the melt or mold is too cold, you won't get good fill out.

The trick is to find the temp that make good consistent bullet at a comfortable pace. 

I run my temp a fuzz high using a thermocouple on my mold. Occasionally, I have to wait about 20 or 30 seconds for it to cool.  If the gets 10 degrees low I either poke the mold in the pot to get it back up or  pick up the pace casting as fast as I can to get it back up.   

With the thermocouple on the mold, 90% of my 215 gr bullets will be +/- .1 gr.  Without it, +/- .3 or .4 with a few .5. 

If the mold it a little too hot, it won't matter much, but will slow you down waiting for the sprue to harden.  If it is 10 degrees too cool, your weights will start to vary a little. If you see flaws, it is way too cold.

Good luck  Grin   

The one thing that improved my bullets more than anything else was drilling and taping the corner of the mold to attach the thermocouple.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
In the other cast bullet thread, RGChristensen mentioned the sprue plate needs to be the hottest part of the mold for proper fill out.  

I forgot to mention that when I open a mold for a few seconds, I keep the sprue plate in the closed position to maintain its temperature.  If you cool a mold with it in the open position, the sprue will probably harden before the base of the next few  bullets fill out.  You may just get about half a bullet if the sprue plate is too cool Embarrassed   

PS, I hate it when that happens!  Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 9:46am
Print Post  
I agree the sprue plate temperature is critical to a good cast bullet. I fill/puddle the top of the plate on every pour to the point of almost overflowing. By doing so I get full filled sharp base bands. If any of the custom mold makers are watching an option to countersink a sprue plate leaving a slight lip around the perimeter to help contain the puddle would be a selling point for me.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Tom 
The mold dictates the best temprature to cast not the metal. larger molds want slightly cooler than small molds. Nose pour wants hotter than base pour. You have to experiment the tempreture where the bullets drop out all through the casting cycle ( the time when your pot turns on till when it turns off) is best.

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 11:23am
Print Post  
I personally prefer using brass and I have found it requires a bit higher casting temp. So I cast at 800 or 800+ and cut the sprue as soon as it freezes and then continue to cast as fast as I can.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2020 at 9:46am:
I agree the sprue plate temperature is critical to a good cast bullet. I fill/puddle the top of the plate on every pour to the point of almost overflowing. By doing so I get full filled sharp base bands. If any of the custom mold makers are watching an option to countersink a sprue plate leaving a slight lip around the perimeter to help contain the puddle would be a selling point for me.

I'll go for that too.  Mine drip off the side a lot  Embarrassed

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 8:33am
Print Post  
I puddle enough lead on the sprue plate so that it runs off and forms a tail that hardens. My solidified sprue rarely drops off when I cut the sprue so I grab this tail to pull thislead off the sprue and return it to the pot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 9:15am
Print Post  
This is actually abit larger than the typical puddle I leave when casting. Sprues fall right off with a light tap and the bullets fall right out. 
If you have problems with the bullets sticking it's typically due to the  cavity not being cut dead center in both mould block halves. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 10:10am
Print Post  
I might also add I recently cut a 35 bullet mould for a 35-40 for a friend. I then cast a bunch of bullets to make sure the size turned out right, it was cut well centered, the bullets were round and they dropped right out. My bullets weighed 277 grains with 1-16 and when he cast his own with 1-20 they were not even close to being the same by allot and more than the differing shrinkage rate. We're they still round, the correct size and did they still drop right out. That I don't know with the difference being that much nor do I know how that could be. The point being we all tend to cast very differently and it,s highly likely that our results are ever quite the same. It can also complicate how much to oversize your own cherrie's to actually get the correct size that you want.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 10:25am
Print Post  
John
how you cast can have as much to do with the finished product as the material you cast with. I can by changing how much alloy is in the ladle or how I hold the nozzle to the mold i change the weight of a .32 bullet by almost a grain. Other variables like casting temp or speed at which you cast can change the finished product.

40 Rod

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
John,
I really like what you did to those mold handles. 
the setscrews to keep the blocks straight into each other
rather than wobbling on the block pins.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
40 Rod I totally agree. I was offered the opportunity to make bullet moulds for CPA. When I first started out with Barry Darr he was making a few to sell. Very quickly one was returned along with the issues the customer was experiencing. Out of round and base diameter was to big so I heated up the pot to cast and check a few. As soon as opened up the mould I noticed there was a little spot of alloy stuck close to the top alignment pin. I removed it and then cast some bullets we measured them with the micrometer and all was well bases were now round and back to size. Barry insisted on sending him a new one knowing the gentleman had lost faith in the one he had. Long story short it was a very simple and common sense fix and that experience alone quickly put an end to my wanting to make moulds for sale to anyone. So I just do my own and a few for friends that are typically for free. I dealt with enough of those individuals lacking any common sense when I was still working for a living to last me a lifetime.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint