Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) different cast bullets (Read 7785 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: different cast bullets
Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
So how do you explain my success?

My bullets cast perfect with half lino half WW. Have been using it for about twenty years with no problems. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Joe,

Here are my exact words:

"Linotype mixed with anything creates mystery metal that may be good for volume-cast pistol bullets but will drive you nuts trying to make quality rifle bullets."

To me, "mystery metal" is any alloy with an unknown chemical composition. For example, your own mix of 50% Lino and 50% wheel weights is of unknown chemical composition and thereby satisfies my personal definition of mystery metal.

Once upon a time, a fellow shooter sold Linotype "pigs" at very reasonable prices.  Even though the pigs looked a little different from others I'd seen, I bought one, cut off a chuck and added it to my Lino pot.

The results were awful.  Bullet bases would not fill out and there were large visible voids on the exterior surfaces of the bullets.  I had to empty the pot, thoroughly scrub the interior, and refill with known Lino to once again produce quality bullets.

My conclusion was that my fellow shooter was selling bogus Lino pigs made with wheel weights or range scrap.

Both prior to and following that unfortunate incident, I've used only Lino and lead/tin alloys purchased from reputable suppliers; first from Arthur Green and currently from RotoMetals.

That's my story.  Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear that your 50/50 mix of Lino and wheel weights satisfies your needs.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Half lino half wheel weights. Mystery? That's a perty simple alloy to be a mystery.

As far as bullets and results on the target, spec sheets have little to do with it.

I believe in results on the target. 

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Apr 3rd, 2020 at 2:17pm:
Half lino half wheel weights. Mystery? That's a perty simple alloy to be a mystery.

As far as bullets and results on the target, spec sheets have little to do with it.

I believe in results on the target. 

Good.  You have my sincere best wishes for future success.

Are those hard bullets more difficult to breech-seat than lead/tin alloy bullets? 

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #19 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks, yes results are hard to argue with.

Breech seat?  No, to hard. Lead/tin is for breech seating, Jack. Although, way back in the nineties did breech seat the hard alloy in a 40-65. Fabulous results with smokeless and duplex powder charges. 

Lost that breech seater to thieves in Modesto about 2002?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
dave_j wrote on Apr 1st, 2020 at 7:20pm:
i have been casting bullets for nearly 45 years and think i can cast some decent bullets. i recently tried to cast some 30 cal bullets fora 308 winchester and went to a hard linotype mix. i usually cast at about 725 degrees for my schuetzen bullets. the harder bullets dont like that temp. i raised the temp to around 800 and they were frosty. dropped to 650 and they are better but dont want to jump out of the mold. can someone explain why the harder melt is so different   thanks    dave

Sounds like the problem is with your mold cavity rather than the metal alloy. BUE? Burr on the edge of the cavity?  Cavity off center?

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Here is a group shot with my 40-65/74.5 gr Swiss 1.5
371 gr DDEPP bullet cast in my 9+1 COWW/Lino.
Bullets were not weighed....
They drop beautifully from my DT mold.
This alloy has cast and shot well for me for the last 60+ years.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Group was shot at 100yds. 
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Here's what's possible with the .40-65...

3-4 shots at 300 meters, if the Gods are smiling  Cheesy

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Great shooting, hepburnman. I wish I was that steady nowadays. 
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Hi beltfed, this was off the bench with a 20x scope. Shooting at this distance is a good test of a load  but conditions rarely comply for very long.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #26 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Westerner
I hate to disagree with you but...On the internet I can find 3 different recipes for linotype. It should be noted that Linotype is not formulated for hardness but how well it worked in linotype and monotype machines.
Wheel weights are little better than pot metal Different companys use different formulas mostly depending on the cost of materials few if any pay attention to the published formulas. 
The only way to get good consistent Linotype is to buy it from a smelting house like Rotometals that will be consistent. Buying scrap is just that its scrap its been remelted countless times augmented by "enrichment bars" when the alloy became 'tired' in short saying linotype when dealing with scrap is like saying car.

40 Rod 

IP Logged

squibshot

Reply #27 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 10:54am
Print Post  
In using lino type metal for bullets (not schutzen loading for me) try to find it in the form of words etc. as it was in the printing machines. Do not use the space or blank pieces. The only metal the linotype printers exercised quality control over was the alloy used to print words. The spaces and blanks were used over and over again.  You can use the spaces and blanks for pistol bullets.  A formula that I got from an old time shooter for gas check bullets specified 60% soft lead and 40% linotype.  This seems to test at 12-1 with a SAECO hardness tester.  I have used it in plain base .45/70 rifle bullets fixed ammunition with good success.  Obviously casts a couple of thousands larger than lead tin metal in the same mold.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 11:52am
Print Post  
The "lino" I have came from a friend whose business was next door to one that still did typesetting. When they skimmed the dross they didn't bother to drain the metal off and it all went into buckets. He got the buckets and gave them to me. I would heat the dross up and recover the metal. I only used it for 22 Hornet bullets where it worked just fine.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #29 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Squibshot
The first real job i had was working at a newspaper. My job was to take all the lines of type and the spacers (monotype) it all went in a hopper and we fill an industrial pot melt it all down and i'd mold it into 50 pound pigs with ears on each end. when I had one pot cast up and was waiting for the next pot to melt i'd take and stack pigs at each linotype machine and then over to the monotype room and stash them for the ludlow machines that made the monotype. It was all the same metal and it was all used over and over again. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint