Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rube Goldburg .25 Remfire (Read 2586 times)
weneedtoo

Rube Goldburg .25 Remfire
Mar 28th, 2020 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I have been tinkering with .17 win super mag brass. I pulled the bullet with a pair of visegrips. Dumped the powder, trimmed to just past the shoulder, and champfered inside and out. Got some .258 65 gr cast bullets from Western Bullet Company. I ordered these before I realized I needed a healed bullet. But made them healed by trimming some of the base band with a pocket knife. They fit great and look cool. I sacrificed one of the brass, to see if it would fire. It took three attempts,  but it did fire the primer. I am going to order a new main spring to see if that helps. Now, what powder? Smokeless? Straight Black Powder? Or BP with some sort of smokeless to help with ignition? Looking for suggestions. Looks promising so far. Having fun with this and much incuriged with the results so far. Shoot as fixed ammo? Breach seat? Life is an adventure! Richard.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rube Goldburg .25 Remfire
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Ive made many heel bullets from normal bullets on a lathe. It doesnt sound like you have a lathe, but with a little ingenuity I think it could be done on a drill press too.  I could cut some down for you if you'd like. PM me.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 8:52am
Print Post  
     I've been shooting 75 gr bullets with 4.6 gr AA9, 5.5 gr 4227, and 2.5 gr Herco with good results.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

weneedtoo

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks Guys for the replies. I have some Unique, 3031, 8208 and black powder. Any thoughts on those? Thanks. Richard.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
black powder,  safe and simple   art

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
If you want to be sure to keep in the safe pressure range, but dont want to deal with the black powder fouling, get some 3F APP. It's a BP sub that burns clean, needs no special lube and is readilly available at sporting goods stores. Be sure to rinse the cases afterwards with water with a little vinegar to neutralize any residuals.

IP Logged

weneedtoo

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks to everyone that contributed. Its certainly a work in progress. Labor intensive to! I got all of the bullets puled from a box of 50 .17 win mag rimfire. I got them all trimmed to about .950. Still working on an idea to cut some of the bottom band away to make healed bullets. Another work in progress project in its self. Hope to fire a couple of them tomorrow. Probably try 1.5 to 2 gr. 3031 or Unique, since I have that on hand. Also received order of bullets and brass to try loading .32 Long Colt. Have to hold off on that a day or two. Thanks for all of the help! Richard.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Original .25rf ammo didn't use heel bullets, I'm wondering if the case mouth could be expanded a little to fit your bullets and still chamber. There are others on the forum who have made .25rf from the .17WSM, hopefully they will respond with more enlightenment. I and others have done a pretty thorough wringing out of the 32L/32ExL rimfires of which a lot carries over to your 32 Long Colt, only difference being rim vs. center fire.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Easiest way I found to pull the bullets is to run them up through the press without a die, grab the bullet with a pair of wire strippers, then lower the ram. If you want to save the bullets there is a tool called “Grip and Pull”.

Trim the case to 1.150, then expand the neck with a very slow taper sizing mandrel, or multiple mandrels. 2 calibers is a long stretch. If you do not trim first, you lose a lot to split necks. 

I over expand then full length resize the case with a .280 die blank. These are generic and have a .280 bore that is ready to chamber for any 280/7mm cartridge. Made by PTG, generally in stock at midway or PTG.

If you fire a couple of loaded .17 rounds in your rifle, you have fire formed cases to measure. That will let you know if sizing to .280 will work in your chamber. Trimming those back to 1.125, you will probably be able to seat the bullet with thumb pressure.

The 65 grain Western bullet works fine out of the box.

Depending on what action you have, powder choice could be critical. There’s a big difference between a Stevens favorite and a 44 1/2. Black powder is safest for all actions. Stronger actions you can experiment some. I have had good luck with 2.7 grains of Vihtavouri 3N37.

Lots of labor, but kind of fun to get something of the wall and out to the range.

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
It would be great to see some photos of this project.

A look at the fired case would be interesting too.  How good a fit is it in the chamber?

Do you use a shell holder?

Great innovation.

Curl

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint