Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Casting with an old Ideal .32-40 tong tool (Read 6052 times)
ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Casting with an old Ideal .32-40 tong tool
Mar 28th, 2020 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
I was casting today and just for fun tried out the integral mold on a 100+ year old Ideal hand tool. It took a while to get up to good casting temp due to the steel mass. But once it warmed up to it dropped beautiful bullets. With 96/3/1 alloy, they came out at .322"-.3225" diameter and 163gr.  Got some loaded up and ready for the range. Ol Mr. Barlow knew what he was doing when he designed this tool Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Casting with an old Ideal .32-40 tong tool
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I've got numerous old Ideal, and Marlin marked Ideal molds that I still use to cast bullets. If they're in good shape they cast great bullets. Only issue I've found is the handles can get pretty toasty over a long casting session.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
They do get hot and the bigger the bullet, the quicker they heat up. I use my tong tool molds in the winter when I want to work in my shop. I turn the shop heater on and fire up the propane burner I use to heat lead up with. When the lead melts, I cast 50 or 75 bullets (using a welding glove on my left hand). By then the shop is warm, I shut the casting down and do whatever machine work is on the plate for the day. The bullet casting helps heat up the shop about twice as fast. Only downside, I've got more bullets cast up than I'll ever shoot.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Yes, the handles do get hot. I used a really good quality Hobart welding gloves. My hand never even got warm. They are worth the money.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
I found years ago(late 60s) when Ideal tool/moulds were sometimes the only thing available for casting bullets and loading cartridges, thick rubber hose available in most well stocked hardware stores worked well insulating ones hand from the handles. I still wore gloves, and the hose kept a better grip on the tool.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
kootne wrote on Mar 28th, 2020 at 8:01pm:
They do get hot and the bigger the bullet, the quicker they heat up. I use my tong tool molds in the winter when I want to work in my shop. I turn the shop heater on and fire up the propane burner I use to heat lead up with. When the lead melts, I cast 50 or 75 bullets (using a welding glove on my left hand). By then the shop is warm, I shut the casting down and do whatever machine work is on the plate for the day. The bullet casting helps heat up the shop about twice as fast. Only downside, I've got more bullets cast up than I'll ever shoot.

Not a problem, Kootne.  Just send them all to me for disposal.  No need to thank me, I’m glad to help out!  Cheesy

just send them to 
Green Frog
P.O. Box....
  Cheesy  Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Looks like a 165 grain bullet from your mold. I have te same one and that bullet looks identical to the ones I got when I cast a few just to see what I ended up with. Started out with a set of no name welders gloves and the handles did get very uncomfortable. Swapped over to a set of Hobart welding gloves. I've seen one such mold modified to take wood handles looks like bubba done dood it. Frank

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Black & orange Hobart welding gloves- that's what I use too. I've had a couple cheap pairs from Harbor Freight, but these are MUCH better and well worth the extra cost. 

This old tool does cast a fine bullet. I can imagine a fellow back 100 years ago. Sitting next to a wood stove with a small lead pot, slowly casting enough bullets for the upcoming hunting season. Life was a lot simpler back then  Smiley

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 10:14am
Print Post  
I have an early Ideal tool in .45-90 with the most beautiful pair of period stiched-on thick leather handle covers.  I took the tool to Friendship many years ago and several "buckskinners" opined that the leather was buffalo and that the "thread" was sinew.  Thereafter, I always liked to imagine one of the last buffalo runners busily casting and reloading after a good day's hunt.  Ah, romance takes many forms!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Nice looking bullet and a design I have found to shoot extremely well. 
Thanks for sharing I believe it's the first I have seen being cast from an Ideal Tong tool.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
I tried wearing my heavy welding gloves, but it's just too restricting and awkward to wear and work in. I can't hardly stand wearing them when I weld, so they're in brand new condition still after a decade or more.
I have one old Marlin Firearms Co. marked Ideal mold from the period Marlin owned Ideal, and some clever guy carefully covered the handles in leather with a nicely stitched seam up the inside of the handles. They work excellent, and I'd put them on my others if I didn't want to keep the original finish on them. I've always wondered what the handles look like under that leather after all the decades the leather has been on them?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Try using an OveGlove it's all I have used for years. They are very comfortable and fit so well that I can pick up my bullets and place them into the order as cast. While still waiting for my sprues to freeze from one bullet to the next. 

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I have no problem with plain leather work gloves. They handle the heat fine and are flexible enough to handle small pieces.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 4:17am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 5th, 2020 at 12:16pm:
  some clever guy carefully covered the handles in leather with a nicely stitched seam up the inside of the handles. They work excellent, and I'd put them on my others if I didn't want to keep the original finish on them. I've always wondered what the handles look like under that leather after all the decades the leather has been on them?

Probably depends if there was any salt in the tanning process. 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 8:36am
Print Post  
These are the Hobart welding gloves. They have some type of high tech insulation that makes them less bulky than cheap gloves. They work very well. I got them at Northern Tool.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint