Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Casting with an old Ideal .32-40 tong tool (Read 6070 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Casting with an old Ideal .32-40 tong tool
Reply #15 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 6th, 2020 at 4:17am:
marlinguy wrote on Apr 5th, 2020 at 12:16pm:
  some clever guy carefully covered the handles in leather with a nicely stitched seam up the inside of the handles. They work excellent, and I'd put them on my others if I didn't want to keep the original finish on them. I've always wondered what the handles look like under that leather after all the decades the leather has been on them?

Probably depends if there was any salt in the tanning process. 

I'd say any tanning done back then always used salt in the process. Hard to say today.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #16 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Actually, much if not most best-quality leather has either never seen salt or had the salts thoroughly washed out of it, which is why so much of it is still in fine shape, even after long-time benign neglect.  In the US, period Indian-tanned leather is a well-known example.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Apr 10th, 2020 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Salt was a commonly used method to cure hides, and reduce the smell that was part of the process. It also was used to reduce the bacteria that was in freshly skinned hides, and help release the hair form the hide.
It may be true that the salts were mostly extracted later, but they were most certainly used during the curing.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #18 - Apr 10th, 2020 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Mar 28th, 2020 at 7:15pm:
I was casting today and just for fun tried out the integral mold on a 100+ year old Ideal hand tool. It took a while to get up to good casting temp due to the steel mass. But once it warmed up to it dropped beautiful bullets. With 96/3/1 alloy, they came out at .322"-.3225" diameter and 163gr.  Got some loaded up and ready for the range. Ol Mr. Barlow knew what he was doing when he designed this tool Smiley

No vent lines in your old mold. Interesting.

Nice bullets.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 10th, 2020 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
The hides Tandy sells now are salt free.  I don't recall the process name off the top of my head. They have been using that for a long time.  The holsters I made as a teenager in the 60s are salt free.   

My dad had a cartridge belt from the 40s or before that definitely was corrosive.  I assume it was salt process.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint