Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Reloading 45-70 with powder coated bullets (Read 1766 times)
Retreever

Reloading 45-70 with powder coated bullets
Mar 22nd, 2020 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
I purchased my first single shot rifle a few weeks back, H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic - .45-70, and fired it for the first time last weekend - I love it!!! 

Currently I am reloading 405g powder coated bullets over 13g of Trail Boss powder but I want to get into black powder cartridge shooting. I have been looking at videos and forum posts , a lot of the info says to place a wad between the black powder and the bullet  - do I need to use the wad for powder coated bullets?

Thanks, Roger

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Re: Reloading 45-70 with powder coated bullets
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
The powder coated bullets would not be the best choice for black powder. You need to have some lube deposited in the barrel to keep the fowling soft. The wad between the powder and bullet is to protect the bullet base and help prevent gas cutting. 
There are sources out there that will sell bullets lubed with SPG or some other lube suitable for use with black powder, you would be ahead of the game to get some of them and save the coated bullets for the smokeless loads. 
You will want your black powder loads to have no air space in the case. Figure how deep your bullet will set in the case and then fill the case a little above that level, place a wad and seat your bullet so that it compresses the powder just a little. That would be your starting point.
Shooting black is a bit more work but it can produce some very accurate loads. It will take a little work on your part and may take a bit of trial and error but it will be worth it in the long run. Keep records of your powder charge and how much compression. As your compression needs increase you will need to have a separate compression die so that you don't distort your bullet. Buffalo Arms is a good source for everything you might need.
Sam

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Store bought , powder coated bullets are not going to work well with black powder. Black powder needs lube to keep the fouling soft. Also under that powder coating those bullets are harder than the hinges of hell. You need something softer so the bullets will bump up, somewhere between 30:1 to 20:1 Lead to tin.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Thanks 40_Rod and 'cricket - so a plain 405g lead bullet (right hardness) lube grooves filled with appropriate blackpowder friendly lube over black powder. 

Couple of more questions - can I use Goex fffG or do I have to use ffG? I currently have some fffG because I also shoot percussion revolvers. What's a good starting load for .45-70 cartridge - 55g? I use homemade lubed felt wads for my revolvers - could I use those in my .45-70 cartridges between the powder and the bullet?

Thanks
Retreever

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint