Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rare .40-75 Bullard Single Shot (Read 4703 times)
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Rare .40-75 Bullard Single Shot
Mar 22nd, 2020 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Many of the Bullards were Large Frame or Small Frame Repeaters.

Bullard made a few Large Frame Single Shot rifles but mostly with a fixed barrel.

However they also made a few Bullard Large Frame Single Shot rifles with a detachable barrel.

There are very few images on the internet of the Bullard Single Shot Rifle with a detachable barrel.

Here is a picture of one with a rare Bullard .40-75 detachable barrel.

Wood has been replaced on this rifle.

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Re: Rare .40-75 Bullard Single Shot
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
t's a shame there wern't more single shots made. Once upon a time I had one rebarreled to 22/3000.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Was this detachable barrel made so that the rifle would be a takedown?

Or was it to enable barrels to be removed, something like a "switch-barrel" outfit?

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
A switch barrel setup.

Two screws on top of receiver released the barrel which would slide out.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Dumb Question # 807:  Especially since in this case nothing apparently prevents the forearm from remaining on the barrel. isn't the "switch-barrel" setup also a "take-down" one?  In other words, what's the difference?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
This particular Bullard is a hunting rifle, so maybe the difference isn't great.  Perhaps there was a second barrel, in a smaller caliber that might allow easier practice or small game hunting.  Today's CPA rifles can be set up as switch-barrel rifles.  A friend has 5 different barrels for his.

A takedown was a rifle or shotgun that came apart readily, to be put into a case for easy transport or storage.  Many of the cases were fitted (more expensive), but mostly the gun would fit into ordinary luggage.   

My idea is that takedown guns appeared at the same time as vacations.  A man who worked in a city wanted to go back to the home farm or on a hunting trip and wanted to take his gun along.  There were as many thieves per capita then as now.  Travel was by rail.  If your rifle was in a suitcase that looked like every other suitcase, maybe with a "Mary Smith" name tag, the thieves might overlook it.

Winchester offered the takedown option for the Single Shot after they switched from leaf springs to coil springs (1907?).  I've had an 1894 Winchester short rifle in takedown.  Currently have an 1893 Marlin (pre-WW1) and an 1899 Savage dated 1928 that are takedowns.  Stevens Favorites could be considered takedowns.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 12:13am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Mar 22nd, 2020 at 5:20pm:
Was this detachable barrel made so that the rifle would be a takedown?

Or was it to enable barrels to be removed, something like a "switch-barrel" outfit?

Only guessing for fun waterman, possibly neither?

Of course, there could be a switch or takedown justification, but it seemed that all Bullard single shots moved away from the fixed barrel to the slide out configuration. I think these rifles were quite a bit more expensive that average. I think Bullard wanted an advertising point that they thought was desirable, and I think it allowed them to streamline manufacturing.

While others offered the feature, switch barrel capability was rare. It seems relatively few Bullards were sold with the second barrel, though I think they liked to highlight it in ads. I don't have my Jamieson book near by, but I was under the general impression that most of the dual barrel setups were mid sized cartridges paired with a rimfire barrel. I doubt that was for any particular reason other than how the order was placed.

Thanks for the pictures Sdave. It's too bad the original stock didn't make it, and it looks like some metal refinishing was done, but interesting none the less.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 7:41am
Print Post  
So if I'm understanding the above, one calls a rifle a "switch-barrel" or a "take-down" based on usage or intent, not mechanics?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Well, the Marlin 39a takes down but it isn't a switch barrel.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Maybe, the Bullard setup could be described as switch barrel barrel capable. Apparently, any caliber combination up to thirty-eight could be ordered on the small frame, and the large frame, such as this sample, seemed reserved for forty caliber cartridges and above. The Bullard book author describes the feature as detachable, but seems to feel his research points towards the selling point of being able to switch calibers on the same frame. 

The use of the takedown description seems(?) to be related to how it is or can be cased. High end stuff comes to mind, but there are tons of inexpensive backpack .22s that come with soft pouches.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 11:59am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Mar 23rd, 2020 at 9:39am:
Well, the Marlin 39a takes down but it isn't a switch barrel.

I think you hit the nail on the head! If the barrel comes off they're all takedowns, but if another barrel isn't offered in another caliber, then it's not a switch barrel. So a gun offered like the early Marlin .22 repeaters were, can be a takedown, but not a switch barrel.
Guns like most single shot rifles were are mostly switch barrels if they came in .22 rimfire, or centerfire chamberings. But a Remington #4, or Stevens Favorite would be a takedown, but haven't seen an original factory with a second barrel. If they did it would simply be a 2nd barrel in the same caliber but maybe different length, or contour.

I think takedowns were designed primarily to fill an interest by "city dwellers" who had to travel outside the city to reach their range, or hunting areas. It allowed them to have a more compact package for traveling in a train, stagecoach, or whatever means. Imagine how inconvenient it would be to sit facing each other and you've got a 50" long case trying to share the space?

There's a very good reason for the small number of Bullard rifles, whether single shot or repeater. Price. They simply cost far more than the competition, and thus fewer orders or sales meant less demand to build more. I doubt Bullard was building up inventory if the orders weren't coming in for their guns.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
My source for what follows is the 2nd edition of the Bullard book (highly recommended) and my work on a Farrow biography:

For information, the Bullard factory was in Springfield, Mass. It is not clear if Bullard ever filled all the orders that Farrow obtained on his sales trips. Not only was Bullard not building inventory, but immediately after Farrow's sales trip to New Orleans, they laid off nearly all their employees.  That was early in 1885, maybe even in January.  They couldn't meet payroll.   

Farrow's contract expired 12/31/1884.  Farrow was not broke.  My idea is that Farrow paid the key Bullard production people, their chief machinist and the head stockmaker, to make the brass-action prototype Farrow, to make a few of what Joe Ruth has termed the first model actions and parts, and a large run of stocks.  Bullard's facilities, machinery and materials were used, but Farrow paid for everything.  In April, 1885, Farrow demonstrated his prototype at the rifle range in or near Springfield, with Bullard staff on hand.  After he had the first model design developed into a workable model, Farrow left town.

IIRC, the Bullard single shot appeared in September of 1885, made to use a lot of the repeater's parts.  But about the same time, Winchester, with their huge manufacturing and advertising capability, brought out the 1885 single shot and the 1886 repeater.  Economically, Bullard was screwed and the key inventor & investor thought his future was in steam powered automobiles.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Bullard was really pretty much lost right out of the gate. Due to their complicated, and expensive to build rifles, their prices were higher than all the other manufacturers.
Offering a rifle that was so much more expensive than the competition, whether it was repeaters or single shots severely limited who could afford the extra cost. Bullard rifles were extremely well built, and often found in very nice condition, just because they were a premium gun people cared for. But any firearm that's expensive wont sell well enough to keep a gun company afloat. Bullard needed to have a rifle priced for the common buyer, and then build higher end versions for the wealthy. Not build everything for the wealthy.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint