Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wads under paper-patch bullets (Read 1638 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Wads under paper-patch bullets
Mar 18th, 2020 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
IN loading black powder paper-patch loads in a .40-70     2 1/2" straight case, If I wanted to reduce powder charge for reduced recoil, would the use of a softer wad material such as a felt wad, or grease cookie, or using Puff-Lon ballistic filler to fill excess space still allow the kick of the black powder charge to obturate bullet into rifling grooves?  I am using a .06" veg. fiber wad under the patched bullet.  Bullets are patched to bore dia. plus .001" weigh 330 & 350grs. cast of 30-1 lead-tin.  Thanks!

IP Logged

kenysd
Participating Member

Re: Wads under paper-patch bullets
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I  have used veggie wads in my 40 70 Shiloh, but with mixed results,  sometimes great groups, sometimes not. at 100.

I switched to GG, 400 grain , mold from BA, and the groups are now 1 to 1/2 inches at 100.   I really liked the PP, but found the GG are much more accurate.   Sharps offered GG for the 40's as early as 73, so it's correct for those of us that are historically anal.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Re: Wads under paper-patch bullets
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
40-70's can get pretty picky about what loads they'll shoot well.So reducing the powder charge much may prove to be a problem when it comes to any sort of accuracy.
Ive not found the recoil to be objectionable.
I would not try to use any filler between the bullet and powder charge.
Going to 1f powder may be your best bet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint