Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wads under paper-patch bullets (Read 3480 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Wads under paper-patch bullets
Mar 18th, 2020 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I have a question of the use of wads under paper-patched bullets.  If for instance I wished to reduce a black powder charge in a .40-70 2 1/2" straight case for recoil reduction. I placed a veg. fiber wad under bullet..and used a soft felt wad or grease cookie..or even Puff-Lon filler to take up excess space,  would the kick of the black powder charge still obturate bullet to fill rifling grooves?  Bullets are bore dia. plus .001" 30-1 lead-tin.  330-350grs.  Thanks!

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Wads under paper-patch bullets
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Use a groove diameter pp bullet.  That will reduce case capacity without wads or fillers.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 5:07am
Print Post  
The boyz at TR&R used Cream of Wheat filler to reduce recoil for the offhand Trapdoor match.  Seems like we used about 55 grs of 2F, a wad and filled teh case up to th ebullet with it.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 10:19am
Print Post  
You can use wads to fill space but whether the bullet bumps up depends on the alloy and the powder charge & granulation.  In my large capacity .45 cases I can get away with wad configurations that will not work in a .45-70 for instance.  You'll just have to try and see.  I can say that a lube wad will not prevent bump up to the extent that something like a thick felt wad will.  

Chris.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 11:21am
Print Post  
I wondered about that issue myself, although I was not seeking recoil reduction but simple occupation of extra space in my .44-77 shells.

In straight shells with paper-patch to bore bullets, I normally use a 1/16” thick cork wad, but with the bottleneck shell, I found that two 1/8” cork wads filled the gap between the 80 gr of powder at shoulder height and bullet barely in the end of the shell mouth, and didn’t seem to interfere with the bullet obturation at all.

The 1/8” stuff I got at Hobby Lobby was for cork message boards and had stickum on the back.  I just put the sticky sides back-to-back and pushed the composite “wad” into the case mouth.  It gave about 1/8” space to insert the bullet.

Worked for me, but given the problems some have reported in all degrees of freedom trying to sort out paper patching, YMMV. I myself have never been able to make up an “economy” or “low-recoil” loading at will with black powder and paper patch bullets.  There may be a “sweet spot” in there (my rifle seems to like 75 grains almost as much as 80 gr) but recoil is indistinguishable, and loading 17 shells instead of 16 isn’t a huge savings.  My basic philosophy with paper patch bullets is “When in doubt, add more powder.”

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
And there is always the other filler, air... Yes, it works.  No it won't blow up the rifle.  Now ducking for cover Smiley

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Mar 19th, 2020 at 11:21am:
My basic philosophy with paper patch bullets is “When in doubt, add more powder.”

After shooting PP rifles for the last decade I've more or less come to the same conclusion.   

Of late I've been playing with Swiss Fg though and it seems to work as well or better than 1.5 in most of my rifles.

Chris.

Chris.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Not when you're shooting 577-450 in a military rifle - 100+ grains of powder hurts!  And accuracy is pretty lousy too...

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Mar 19th, 2020 at 1:57pm:
Not when you're shooting 577-450 in a military rifle - 100+ grains of powder hurts!  And accuracy is pretty lousy too...

Yeah that sounds painful.  My .45-110 weighs 15lbs and I wouldn't want it to be an ounce lighter  Grin

I do have a 12.6lb highwall in .45-90 that I shoot with 93gr of powder and it's right at the upper limit of what I want to deal with recoil-wise for match shooting.  I've actually come to prefer Swiss Fg in that one.  Interestingly the recoil feels about the same to me as my 13.5lb Shiloh shooting 80gr of powder with grease grooved bullets.   

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Bill Crane and the boyz at TRR invented a reduced case for the .577-450.  We had a Snyder match out here since half of the shooters were Canadians. 

They filled about half the case with lead.  I never did the Snyder thing so I don't have any details on exactly what they did, but the capacity was about half.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I have found that the nicest way to reduce recoil is to use a smaller cartridge  Smiley.   My .38-55 and .38-50 are very pleasant with charges in the 58-62gr range.   

Another alternative could be to try one of these dual diameter patched bullets that some are using these days. I was talking with a fellow that says the idea is not at all new.  He had, or has, an old Ideal mold that is a dual diameter PP mold!

Chris.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 11:39am
Print Post  
The thing with 40-70's, they can be awfully picky about loads. While using extra wads will work with patched bullets, going to 1f powder may prove a bit better in the accuracy dept. Have to keep in mind the velocity of the bullet to keep the accuracy. If you start the velocity to low, you'll run into the same stability problems as with normal loads at longer distances.
My 40-70 likes 69 grains of 1 1/2 with just about any bullet I put in it. I shoot either a .400 diameter 360 gr patched bullet or a dual diameter bullet that comes over the scale at about 410 grains. The innards of the case with both bullets are the same, the only variation is the amount of compression to accommodate bullet seating depths. 69 grains of OE 1 1/2, a .030 fiber wad a 1/8 inch dry lubed felt wad.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Yes you can use wads to take up space on straight cases and black powder. you might have to softer your alloy depending on how much you reduce the charge. I would stay away from fillers COW, Puflon etc as they tend to agrivate case stretching and eventually case separation.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint