Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Casting Problem (Read 13658 times)
hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Re: Casting Problem
Reply #30 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Hi- I took a scribe from my Starrett square and traced out the vent lines. There was a small amount of crud but not here I would think it would block the lines.

Using a high power loupe I believe I can see what looks like copper or brass deposits in some of the areas that would cause some of the bands to not fill out properly when casted. Could maybe be an optical illusion. Not sure. Now I'm not sure if I should scrub with a brass brush along with acetone. Undecided

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I do not have a problem with the bases filling out. Nice sharp edges.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
OLD TUCK wrote on Mar 25th, 2020 at 3:22pm:
Discovered that the Thermostat was coming and going
on and off at Plus and Minus 100 Deg F. Gave the pot away. Bought a Gas System and have never had the issues I had been having. Like my Lead to be Hot and cast frosty bullets. HTH Regards FITZ OLD TUCK Smiley

What brand?   

I wore out a Coleman propane stove casting bullets.  That is when I went electric.  I checked the differential on my Lyman Mag 20.  It is about 30 degrees.  100 is definitely way too much.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
I made some casting experiments after cleaning the problem mould, Saeco 740, with Acetone and a brass wire brush. I also tried to touch up/clean out the vent lines with a scribe. Bullets were then casted with a 24/1 alloy at 825 F but were still not filling out completely at some of the outside band corners (look rounded). This is on one side of the bullet. I casted bullets from the same alloy, at the same temperature, with a Paul Jones mould casting a 429 gr bullet. The bands here filled out properly so there appears to be no issue with the alloy being contaminated.

From the pictures one can tell that the vent lines in the Saeco mould are not as wide and deep as the PJ mould. There are also fewer of these on the Saeco mould. I show the Saeco and PJ bullets side-by-side with a second Saeco bullet rotated to show how the other side is filled out properly.

To try and add more venting to the Saeco mould I will try next to deepen them. Can anyone suggest where I can obtain an engraving tool that would help do this?

Thanks much!

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Wrong cure. I have moulds without any vent lines that cast perfect bullets. Also, vent lines too deep will give you whiskered bullets.  However, as mentioned, top block venting might be an issue. Temperature too.  The fact that 1 mould casts perfectly at a given temp doesn't mean another will.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Mar 29th, 2020 at 3:34pm:
Wrong cure. I have moulds without any vent lines that cast perfect bullets. Also, vent lines too deep will give you whiskered bullets.  However, as mentioned, top block venting might be an issue. Temperature too.  The fact that 1 mould casts perfectly at a given temp doesn't mean another will.

I have heard this too, that vent lines may not be strictly necessary. The problem area interestingly, is basically where the mould halves come together at the back of the mould (towards the mould handles). Either the vent lines here are not venting sufficiently or the mould handles are drawing away heat from this area. I've compared the fit of the moulds to their handles on both the PJ mould and the Saeco mould and I do not see any significant differences that would sink more heat on one compared to the other. 

At this point I don't know what else to try, other than a new mould, possibly. Anyone know if BACO makes a #740 equivalent?  Undecided

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Or get a new thermometer or a new furnace and increase the heat until it frosts and then back off a bit.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
A bit of frosting will not hurt a bit.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I have a recently obtained mold that gave some problems
with one sided fillout. 
I found that if I tip the mold forward, rather than "sideways"
such that I can then join the spout of the dipper "over" 
the parting line at front of mold away from the handles. 
then tip slowly (try different speeds) back to fill mold.
Hold dipper on sprue hole for a few seconds. and then 
tip away the dipper and allow a decent amount of 
alloy to build a good puddle on top the sprue plate.
Works now with good fillout in the mold
Also, I just Love the PID controller  I built. It controls
any one of my three electric pots to within Plus/minus 2-3 degrees C (less than 10 F swing)
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Oh, and Indeed, any Zinc contamination is "death" on good bullets. It is more prevalent nowadays in the Clip On WW
than in the stick ons. 
I sort my bucket of COWW by trying to shave off  Every One of them with a utility razor knife. Steel wts. no cut. Zinc wts -the knife will chatter when trying to shave a bit off. Lead alloy ww the knife will shave off a sliver of alloy smoothly,easily, no chatter.   
Having had an incident a few yrs ago with melting down bank run COWW, resulted in a melt that was like slushy,
half melted ice cream. Trying that, BAD casting. I had to discard the alloy for fishing weights.
It is worth it for me to spend a bit of time making sure NO
Zinc COWW gets into my melts rather than having a 60 pound batch of melt Ruined.
beltfed/arnie
COWW

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #40 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
  Tin-lead alloy does not frost.  If you get frosting you have antimony or arsenic in the mix.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
hepburnman wrote on Mar 29th, 2020 at 4:45pm:

At this point I don't know what else to try, other than a new mould, possibly. Anyone know if BACO makes a #740 equivalent?  Undecided

Try boiling the mold in soft water (without any minerals in it) for about 15 minutes. 

Did you try smoking it with a candle or wooden match?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Mar 29th, 2020 at 6:24pm:
hepburnman wrote on Mar 29th, 2020 at 4:45pm:

Try boiling the mold in soft water (without any minerals in it) for about 15 minutes. 

Did you try smoking it with a candle or wooden match?

At one point I smoked the mould with a lighter. Maybe not the right smoke.

I have another casting pot that may reach a higher temp. This one current has 16/1 alloy in it. Not what I want to use in a chicken bullet but worth a try to see if a higher temp (higher than 825 F) will make a difference. I could switch alloys if it does.
Boiling in water may be the last resort. The potential for rusting scares me.
At one poi

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #43 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
[quote author=5E4C5A5D4C5B474C5B290 link=1584234373/45#45 dates=1585527343]I've had the same problem with every Saeco mold I have. Once properly vented as John and I pointed out, all cast excellent bullets. [/quote]
I just made an engraving tool by blunting the tip of a yellow retractable utility knife and engraved all the vent grooves in my saeco 740 mould. Some of these grooves were barely grooved. They're now all somewhat uniform. Next weekend I'll give the mould another try and see if things have improved.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I save all the cheap birthday candles.  They smoke molds quite well. A touch with one to a spruce plate screw when it starts to bind works well too. Use sparingly and tip the mold so the wax does not get in the cavity. I have a nose pour Hoch that will not fill out the base well without heavy smoking.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint