Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic things i have learned loading CPA 32/40 (Read 1389 times)
argie1891
Senior Forum Member

things i have learned loading CPA 32/40
Mar 12th, 2020 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I purchased my rifle in 2014 and have put quite a few rounds down the tube. After trying every type of wad material i could find from cardboard to kapok, my rifle shoots best with no wad. for bullets i have hoch in 195 and 200 grains plus saeco 632 and 545. My shooting buddy has an orrigional pope mould that i have borrowed. The pope, hoch 195 and the saco 632 all shoot well under an inch, with 13gr. of SR4759 I have tried other powders and AA 9 shoots as well or maybe a bit better. Problem is I have 13 lbs of 4759 and only about a half a pound of 
AA 9 and dont want to have a lot more powder around the house. ( I wont admit how many pounds total I have) 
I was really surprised that no wad shot better than any other combination, however a small tuft of real kapok is almost as good. Seating depth really seems to be important and I made an adjustable plugged case so it is easy to test different seating depth. 
I must I am not as good a shot as I was years ago at age 71 a couple heart attacks cancer and a few other minor health problems it is a bit harder to be consistent in holding the rifle on the bags the same way from shot to shot. Anyway that is my results thought I might share

if you think you have it figured out  then you just dont understand

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: things i have learned loading CPA 32/40
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Thanx for the update and load info. I have a nearly identical powder situation as you. AA9 shoots fantastic in a couple rifles but I am down to crumbs in the bottom of the can......so 4759 it is.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Thanks.  What does the Saeco 545 look like?  I have used the Saeco 632 and 732 bullets in mine and have had better results with the 732 ( basically a 200gr version of the 632 ).

Chris.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 11:34am
Print Post  
argie1891
If you are having issues with consistent holding, you might consider using a barrel rest. I've included a photo to make clear the type of rest to which I'm referring.
"fallingblock" posts on this forum and has them for sale. His are nicely made and will give years and years of service. Also, with that design one-size-fits-all barrels (octagon or round).
I've used a barrel rest for some years now and find I shoot noticeably better groups and scores when using a barrel rest.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint