Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Initial 25-21SS forming (Read 4747 times)
rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Initial 25-21SS forming
Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
      Hobby stores usually have a big selection of brass thin-wall tubing.  I think NONTE mentioned 40-50 years ago the possibility of using this to extend the length of cartridge cases.

CHRIS

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Dick,
I'm running on the same version of Donnelly's book, I'd considered that once but this process is getting a little better each time I do it... soldering or threading on tube could be an option.   
Here's an update, I had plans of making it to the range today for data a little beyond the 50 or 65 feet but the wind is keeping everything at bay... I know for some -20mph is nothing- and our temp is just above freezing so it shouldn't be an issue, what's the word I keep hearing...wuss? yup that's me.  Anyway, I've loaded and shot this brass about five times now, it's getting better each time.  The trigger on this Ballard needs a little work, about 7# right now but here's a 65' target.   

And for those that get it - Happy pi day.  (3.14)

Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Greg, if you get a chance how about a shot of your set up to include the tail stock. I’m assuming the case is pinched between the mandrel and the tail stock piece with the primer pocket insert. How is that piece held in the tail stock? Thanks, as always you amaze, I don’t think your feet hit the ground, you seem to be in constant motion.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Bob,
Here's a pic of the tailstock setup.  I'm doing this in a Nardini lathe that when I got it, it was short a few pieces... like a tailstock.  Most look at some of the junk I run and say how???  I retro'd a turret off a clausing and it doesn't have a lock so I have to keep tension by hand...  but it does give me the feel for applying tension.
I spoke too soon when I was talking about case life -  Sad After the sixth reload, I had two case failures- out of the twelve I've been shooting.  The case on the left I've been expecting failure, it had a long lube dent from the beginning and the mouth cracked a time or two so I kept trimming it back.  The case on the right doesn't make sense though, wall thickness is uniform and it looked good going in to the sixth round...  I ran another 20 cases through some of the process, maybe finish them tonight.  I made some more changes in set up, lube and annealing, we'll see how these go - so far success rate is slightly better.
The saying, a body in motion... have to - for unmentionable reasons.
Regards,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint