Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Casting pleasure (Read 9835 times)
AndyZ

Casting pleasure
Feb 22nd, 2020 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
       Casting bullets only fun at first, after 50 or so, more like work.
Ran 200 + in 2 hours  today.  Fast for me.  Recut Lyman single cavity on Lyman old style handles, so very light.  Plus bullets drop freely and look very fine.  So easy to work with.
       .325  210 gr from Werner Wolf mould.  Wonder if he's still alive?
Anyway now looking at my regular Jones mould and wondering if it could be lightened significantly.  Anyone ever try this?
    Only one question remains "How will they shoot?"

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Casting pleasure
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2020 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Andy if you have enough material to remove it should not be a problem. Typicality the sprue plate screw and the stop are close to the outside edges. So you might need to relocate and modify the sprue plate and handle attachment screws. Might have to do the same with the handle attachment scews after you deepen the mortices.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2020 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Yes, indeed for example those older lyman one piece very light molds are a dream to reduce fatigue during casting.
BUT
We must remember, tho, that a larger mass of the mold blocks makes for better heat retention/consistency of the temperature of the mold blocks, therefore helps for more consistent bullet weight.

beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 9:25am
Print Post  
200 bullets in two hours is moving right along. When I cast the same and do it none stop it takes me about an hour and forty minutes give or take. When it comes to heat retention if you still have to wait for the sprue to freeze no matter what size the blocks are. And that is also the proper way to cast match grade bullets heat retention becomes a none issue. I have personally found the larger the blocks the more time it takes for the sprue to freeze. The longer it takes for the sprue to freeze the longer it takes to cast a batch of bullets.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
AndyZ wrote on Feb 22nd, 2020 at 8:08pm:
       Casting bullets only fun at first, after 50 or so, more like work.

Ain't that the truth. I do 60 at a time as I'm almost crying from boredom by then. While I don't care for any of the other steps required to load, casting is by far the worst. Only another 1000 and I'll be thru for the season. Ugh..............

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I typically cast 120 at a time as I want to end up with a 100 match grade bullets after doing the visual inspections. I also don't keep any that don't meet that standard for foulers or any other type of use.

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
The initial "warm-up" where the castings are dropping out poor I find tedious.  Once everything gets hot and the slugs are coming out nice I have a difficult time saying "last one"!
My limit is usually less than 200 in a session.  Several molds are Accurate aluminum blocks and those don't fatigue the hands as much.  Also, Accurate Molds are double cavity and that accelerates production.
I do a visual inspection while casting then all are weighed.  Anything out of range will go back in the pot. I at times saved odd ones for "practice" but had a wealth in PB I was not using so they were all recycled.  No more; not good; not worth wasting good powder on.
Mike.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
You can mill metal of molds and leave the sprue plate and stop alone. Just stop before reaching that edge and the plate pivot and stop can remain. Much simpler than totally modifying the points and the plate.
You can also take metal off all 4 sides of the blocks if you don't go crazy. I personally have never found bullet casting fun, or enjoyable. I do it because it's cheaper, and I get better control over quality. But I've also never found single cavity molds to be heavy enough to bother trimming them down to save a small amount of weight.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

AndyZ

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone for the replies.  Maybe find a little used mould and practice on that.
    If I do trim one will try to post pictures.    Thanks

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 8:20am
Print Post  
I would send that mold to Richard Z along with instructions on which alloy to use.

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 9:55am
Print Post  
I managed a total of about 190 good bullets in under 2 hrs from my  first run with 2 new DDEPP 38cal molds for 38-50RH from BACO that I had designed.  I cast in tandem , alternating two molds.
These BACO molds are spot on for the dimensions I specified
and the run was indeed Casting Pleasure with excellent quality bullets. Molds released the bullets easily. Mostly just fell out upon opening the molds.
Now, I only need a decent day to go out and shoot some of them
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Old One piece Ideal molds are the best to cast with. Fast casting and not as tiring as having an anvil on a stick like modern molds. They produce bullets just as accurate and are fun to cast with.

IP Logged

AndyZ

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
mes wrote "I would send that mold to Richard Z along with instructions on which alloy to use. "

And so he will cast bullets for me????????????  Yeah, that should work.

Gee thanks marty.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I would highly encourage everyone to learn how to make their your own bullet moulds and their own mould blocks. I have personally found that two alignment pins are by far not enough. Three as shown below is a bit better but four is what gets one allot closer to casting the best match grade bullets that one can and also being shown below. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And four.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2020 at 9:09pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2020 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
John
Very nice looking molds. Are your molds cherry cut or do you cut the cavities on a lathe?

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint