Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Casting pleasure (Read 9859 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Casting pleasure
Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Cherry cut Randy.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Back to the number of bullets cast per session...the worst part for me is getting the pot, alloy, and mould up to heat, but once I start getting good bullets I’m likely to go along time, like until the pot runs low or something calls me away.  The actual process of casting, once I’m “in a groove” is actually not that bad.  Since the setup and warmup takes so long though I don’t even start casting that often, so it’s a good idea to take advantage of a good run and make all I can!  Wink

Froggie 🐸

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Took me a while to learn this but recently I now turn on my furnace, put the mold blocks so they sit on the rim of the furnace, and walk away (to have breakfast, etc.), and not come back for at least 1 - 1.5 hours. When I come back my thermometer is pretty near my desired temperature and when I start casting my first bullet is almost a keeper. This is with a PJ mold casting a 428 gr bullet. I will next try this long heat-up process with a Saeco 410 gr bullet mold that seems to be bit more tough to get up to temperature.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Once the lead pot is up temp while also having the mould sitting on top of it. Take and just put the bottom front edge of the mould into the alloy about a 1/4 to 3/8 deep for a count of 25 seconds and the first bullets will start to come out really nice. The alloy that is left on the front edge when removing the mould from the lead pot can easy be wiped off with your casting glove.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I fire up the gas burner under my 25 pound pot and put my moulds on a WalMart hot plate set on medium. In 20 minutes I'm ready to start casting. I cast yesterday with 4 moulds for an hour and a half and got 300 bullets.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Any good resolutions to keep the lead sticking to the dipper? I've applied the black mold prep to it in the past and it never seems to last very long. Sure wish someone offered a mold with non-stick teflon coating or something! This lead sticking to the dipper creates a lot of oxidize lead that I have to flux the pot like almost every 10 bullets Sad

The alcohol? in the mold prep also evaporates pretty quick but I've found you can add more to the bottle to revitalize it.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Feb 25th, 2020 at 9:33am:
Cherry cut Randy.

You probably have a good fixture for bringing the molds together around the cherry and also which keeps them in perfect alignment?

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #22 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 10:34am
Print Post  
The only person I ever heard say he loved to cast was old Dale Casner. He used to cast for John Amber who habitualy showed up with either no bullets or the wrong bullets. Dale would cast for him and John would share his catered lunch. Truth be told I think it was the lunch that Dale loved.

Having said that every mold depending on size and caliber will cast differently. Bigger molds want cooler tempos than smaller molds. I adjust my temperatures so that the bullet will give me the heaviest bullet and still  fall out throughout the heat up - cool down cycle that all electric pots go through. 
My typical method is to put my mold on the edge of the pot when I plug it in and walk away for an hour. Then I cast 10 or 12 bullets before I start to keep any. Keeping a good rhythm I add one of the warm up bullets at the top of the heat up cycle I scrape dross every 8th bullet cast and weigh every 12th to make sure im staying consistent. I cast about 100 at a time. 
I weigh each bullet and reject any thing that is more than i tenth if a grain per 100 grains of weight. thats  2 tenths for my 218 grain .32s. out of a batch of 100 I typically throw one or two back in the pot.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
I do not mind casting bullets. I cast in the Winter. I spliced cable for Ma Bell and got used to repetitious work for several hours. Below is my set up. If you use Telco lead you might find this page of use.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #24 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
I actually like to cast bullets. I have a big table with an old wooden chair next to it, so it's fairly comfortable to sit there and cast. The other thing is that you need molds that work well, luckily my favorite molds cast nice bullets without much fuss. I can sit there and cast 100 bullets fairly easily.  Cool

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
If I am on a roll I will go ahead and cast 220 without stopping Bob.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Kurt,
  Thanks for that Bell solder paper.  I have a block of "Wiping Solder" here somewhere.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

4060may

Reply #27 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Kurt
is the sealing solder used to close joints on large phone cable splices...might explain why the bullet look so bad

Hepburnman
I use Molycoat Paste-G, brush the crap off the ladle, get hot and dip it into the can, shake off the excess and reheat the ladle, lead will not stick for at least two long casting sessions, reheating the ladle burns off the grease and leaves a moly coat on the metal, I have pure moly in a powder form but have not tried it

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I have what look like Lyman handles, large and small that are cast/machined from aluminum. Don't know when they where made...'50's maybe? They are much lighter than the iron ones and are pleasant to use. Have some other aluminum handles made by Shiloh in the 70's that I modified-heli arched to fit other brand molds too. Is true the big custom molds and the over size handles are fatigueing after a spell.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
This is a 30 caliber mould I recently cut for someone on this site. I made it small and the same as I like and to fit those Lyman handles shown. But moulds don't need to be big and actually the smaller the better it is to retain the same heat. Casting match quality bullets should be real comfortable and real enjoyable to do and bigger mould blocks is not by any means the real answer. I also gifted what you see to him as he is a real gentleman and I truly enjoyed doing what I could to try and help him out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint