Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Feeding the 44-40 Extra Long (Read 6203 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Feeding the 44-40 Extra Long
Feb 20th, 2020 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Please pardon the recap but the story began with my acquiring at the Denver Show a Frank Wesson Two-Trigger circa early to middle 1870s. Several opinions were given me that most of these would be happy with shooting 43 Russian and the cartridge I picked up at the show seemed to be happy in the chamber. I made a  chamber cast and the case length was determined to be 1.6 inches. Being a Wesson I jumped to the conclusion that it was a 44 Wesson Extra Long, albeit with a sloppy chamber. Hey, it's old. So I picked up some 445 Super Mag brass which happens to be 1.6 inches long and of the same family as the 44 American, 44 Russian, 44 Special and 44 Mag just in different lengths, worked up a load and was enjoying it - at a 44 Russian level of course. Then recently I picked up a copy of the Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions and was just flipping through it when I landed on the 44-40 Extra Long. Wait, that's the same size as the chamber cast. No. Could it be? A 44-40 dropped right in the chamber. Son of a gun. Today I received in the mail a vintage cartridge headstamped U.M.C. .44-40 but 1.6 inches long. It dropped right in the chamber. Now some folks believe that the 44-40 Extra Long doesn't exist in a rifle but that it is just the 5-in-1 Hollywood blanks with a bullet stuck in. To be sure a 44-40 Extra Long would no longer be a 44-40 but say, a 44-50 in that nomenclature. A case headstamped U.M.C. would be later than the rifle as I don't believe they starting headstamping them until 1883 or something. However, unheadstamped cases do exist! It is just that there don't seem to be any rifles chambered in it. Well, I know of one and that one dates back to the time of the creation of the 44-40 for one of those Winchester thingies. I would like to find one of those unheadstamped rounds. Meanwhile, back at the ranch. How to you go about making them now? Simple, relatively, you take a 444 Marlin case, chop it to 1.6 inches, full length size it in a 44-40 WCF sizing die with decapper removed, trim it back to 1.6 inches, anneal the new neck, and fire form it. Here's a pic of the chamber cast, the U.M.C. round, and two cases made from 444 Marlin (one has had a light fire form and polish and the other fresh out of the annealer and ready for fire forming. That is where it stands right now. More to follow.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2020 at 12:23pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Feeding the 44-40 Extra Long
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2020 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Very interesting! I'm curious what velocity you get with a fully loaded round (BP of course).

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2020 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Never mind, I see it in your other thread.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
The question of whether the 44-40 Long (I don't think it is really necessary to call it "Extra Long") ever existed as a commercially loaded cartridge doesn't seem to have an solid answer. It was easy enough to take the 44-40 blanks (for lever actions) or long cased shotshells and stick a bullet in them. Possibly a round so made would chamber in a 44-40 smoothbore single shot (anybody have one?) to use like a slug but to use in a single shot rifle the chamber would have to be cut to take the bullet. I think the time of the smoothbore single shots is quite a bit later than my rifle. Perhaps Frank Wesson decided to try it with my rifle but ended up with the 44 Wesson Extra Long. Whatever, mine was made for it and likes it and I can shoot it with my modified 444 Marlin brass all I want! By the way, for fun I stuck a bullet in a WRA 44-40 blank and this is what it looks like.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I was able to find 100 pieces of new 444 Marlin Remington brass (the two pieces burntwater kindly provided me for testing were Remington and I knew Remington would work) and I formed and annealed all of them. I loaded them all with what I hoped would be a mild forming load of 7 grains of Bullseye (I have an old Pacific pistol powder measure with a rotor that drops 3.5 grains of Bullseye so 2 drops per) and some light 200 grainish 44 bullets I had laying around which I sized to my .421 for this rifle - some of these were so old that they had been lubed way back when with that Lyman black gunk lube. You old, er, that is, more experienced guys will remember that stuff. Now these bullets, unlike the 240 grain ones from my custom Accurate mold that are long enough to bridge the gap of the large freebore, had to take a huge jump out of the case to get to the rifling so I did not even consider them to have more than "shotgun" accuracy capability. So I stood at the range and started pumping them through the rifle. There were some chunks of clay pigeons on the 50 yard berm so just to not be so bored with the repetition I starting aiming at them and, lo and behold, they started disappearing. I love this rifle. Have I said that before? I just love this rifle. Anyway, I now have 100 formed cases (well, partially at least) and I didn't get any blowback (as I was getting with the 445 Super Mag brass) because the base is now the correct size for the chamber. I have cast up a couple of hundred of my correct bullets and I am ready to start working up a load with the new brass. It's all fun!
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2020 at 1:10pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

Just Jim

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
May I ask what the twist is in your rifle? 

Also, what might be a full load of black powder in these XL cases? I was just sorting some things in my shop, and came across a couple of .430 barrel blanks with 1:36 rifling. Always thinking about future projects, you know!  Wink

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks for asking, Jim. I've been meaning to check the twist. It is 1 in 40. A 44-40 XL blank case will hold 60 grains of Swiss 2F full to the brim with no compression. These are balloon head cases so you can subtract some for solid heads like the .444 Marlin and a bit more for the Marlin's thick brass and some for a seated bullet and add back in some for compression and I think this will bring us close to the mention of UMC making a few sample rounds up for Spencer and calling them 44-50-240 Spencer.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Just came in from our newly reopened range. Finally got a chance to try some loads in the new 44-40 Extra Long cases (ex 444 Marlin). Figured that since this brass was more voluminous than the 445 Super Mag I had been using (not to mention that it actually fit the chamber!) that a new round of testing to find the best load was in order. More on this after I get the targets analyzed/measured and the rifle cleaned but I will say that I had a moment when I looked in the scope and saw that I had 3 shots in under an inch at 100 and that two of them were in the 25 ring. Of course this immediately blew all chances of continuing this run and the next 2 were in 3/4 inch but not with the other 3.  So do we tense up and change the hold or move the rifle on the bags or just get so excited we yank the trigger? One of those little mysteries of life.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2020 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
200 rounds downrange now. Results pending but in the meanwhile thought it might be time to pay more attention to the brass. I polished it and had a good look. Since these were all low pressure loads but some higher than others it was obvious that the brass was in various stages of being fire formed. I thought I'd move it along a bit so I ran a 40 Rifle M expander through them to help them out. Running it in I could feel which ones had expanded more from shooting but afterwards they were all closer together. Thought it might be time to also give them an even trim to true up the mouths of the cases, followed by a new deburr and chamfer, then a fresh anneal to finish up. I'm only sizing about 3/32 of the neck to even up the tension. With all this done I'll be ready for the next 100 rounds with more intensive testing. The little bead on the post covers the red on an ASSRA 100 yard target almost completely - say 95%. The mask we have to wear on the range now keeps fogging my glasses up so it can get interesting trying to hold a perfect bead. Now the problem is that I have shot up all of my bullets so casting time.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2020 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Great to hear you are making progress. I've found the targets get smaller and fuzzier the older I get Grin

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2020 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Tell me about it, ndnchf! So 200 rounds, 8 different powders, and 40 loads. These were hoped to show any tendencies to perform better by more or less of this or that powder. First test powders were AA5, Unique, 5744, 4227, and 4759. Second test powders dropped the AA5 and added Herco, Reloader 7 and 4198. I had my Chrony up for some of the second test (the old plastic sky shields cracked and one flipped off just as the range was called hot so I shot the first 20 without it and taped it up at next cease fire.) The Herco (see first pic) may just replace Unique as my cheapo load as it looks promising - 8 grains goes a long way and it is cleaner. More extensive testing on that next time. 4759 (see second pic) gave a good account and came in with the lowest ES (lowest SDs were 4759, 5744, and Herco). 4227 (see third pic) is the one that drives me crazy - 3 in 3/8 inch this time and 3 in 7/8 inch the first time - but there were 5 shots and the other 2 were somewhere else. 4227 and especially 4198 might burn more consistently with a little crimp but unfortunately the bullet has to be seated so far out to clear the freebore that there is nothing to crimp to. Or does it have to be seated out? Something to explore in the future. As it is I get no leading at all and I wouldn't want to change that. The next 100 will be a highlight round with the now uniformed brass and 10 shot groups to try to eliminate more of me from the results. Remember this is for 100 meter Cowboy Silhouette matches where once I get past the turkeys a little horizontal spread will be OK on the rams. It's the vertical spread that gets you.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2020 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Made it to the range for the next round of testing. This set used 10 round groups and the Chrony was working (except for some err 1 burps on the last set). If I have to use Unique it will be with a 7.75 grain load (997 avg fps). Herco is burning cleaner and giving better ES and SD figures but needs another run trying an increase to 8.5 grains. R7 is looking really good except the load is too light giving incomplete burning. 15 grains only gave 756 fps. Testing with considerably increased loads will be done. 4759 gave its always good results and if I loaded it now for a match would use 14.75 grains giving 912 average fps with ES and SD of 23 and 8. For the next natch, however, I will be using 15.25 grains of 4227 (990 fps with good ES and SD). I'm happy that the brass has now managed to form to essentially its final dimensions. If you question my quarter grain testing you might be surprised at the different figures it can give. By the way, the Chrony company seems to have closed down. The websites are gone but I did manage to contact someone who said they did have a few spares on hand but I haven't heard back from them after I asked about diffusers as mine have aged to the point of starting to crack.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2020 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I just read this whole post. For some reason I was not aware of it.
Wow! Now I want to see this rifle.
I too am more than ready to see the local silhouette matches resume. I want to play with a few rifles.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Out to the range today for more testing. Fired the 15.25 grains of H4227 against 8.5 grains of Herco. Groups were comparable but the Herco gets the bullet there a bit quicker putting it higher on the target. I didn't have the chrono with me today to get actual numbers but I will next time. I also set off a few using Reloader 7. I had begun experimenting with this powder earlier but, easing my way into it, the loads were too light but the consistency was good. Today I tried 5 round groups of 16.5, 17.0, 17.5, and 18 grains. The initial ones weren't very good but the last two improved and the last  considerably so. Based on where the bullets are landing on the target I am slowly approaching the velocity of the 4227 and Herco loads so next trial will be a comparison of those and 10 rounds of 18 and 18.5 (and maybe 19.0) grains of the Reloader 7.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint