Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Farrow 1887 (Read 9362 times)
craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Farrow 1887
Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Thanks Waterman. I had thought that Bullard production may(?) have started a year or two prior to 1885, but I'm not sure. In any case, it's always interesting to me that examples survive and a small handful of folks have the passion to do some research. 

I had corresponded a while back with the Bullard books author. It stuck me as interesting, that there seems to be a similar number of surviving rifles per every estimated one hundred rifles built, that you had seen while recording Farrow rifles.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
My info is the Bullard book 2nd Edition and the early editions of the Rifle.  Farrow's prototype appeared a few weeks before the Bullard single shot.  When Farrow was a Bullard employee, he sold repeaters.

IP Logged

msellers
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Were there any pistol actions made along the lines of the farrow action? Seems like it would be a sweet handling gun if so.
Thanks,
Mike

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Didn’t Farrow produce some rifles in Morgantown, Wva Ledball

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 4:07am
Print Post  
I think all of the long actions were made or at least finished in Morgantown, W.Va.  My spin on the Farrow chronology is this: 

1: He made the prototype and maybe a couple of "regular" rifles in Springfield, Mass.   
2:  Then he moved to Brattleboro, VT, maybe in late 1885.  He stayed in Brattleboro for just under 2 years.  He made a few rifles in Brattleboro, maybe the ones that have very low SNs.  Norman Brockway put one of his ML barrels on a Farrow action, and the Cole rifle was made there.   
3:  In late 1887, Farrow moved to Holyoke, Mass.  I think that is where most of the short actions were made.   
4:  About 1891, he moved to Tennessee.  I don't think he made any rifles there. I think Abby simply pitched a fit and made life miserable.   
5:  About 1893, he moved to Morgantown. Just a guess, but I think any action with a SN in the 80s or higher was made in Morgantown.   
6:  Farrow moved to Washington, DC in 1897 and that was the end of the competition rifles.   

I'm looking forward to reading what Joe Ruth has to say.  Hope I can afford his book.  My rifle $$ were in the stock market.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 9:58am
Print Post  
That’s good information waterman the Farrow book is available on blurb it’s 90 bucks for 34 pages nice pictures but dang!!oh I’ll get one but dang!!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on Mar 21st, 2020 at 9:58am:
That’s good information waterman the Farrow book is available on blurb it’s 90 bucks for 34 pages nice pictures but dang!!oh I’ll get one but dang!!

So it is self-published?  Who is the author?  Joe Ruth?  And is there a title for the book?

And those are just my ideas about when Farrow built stuff.  Nothing there to die on the cross for.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Tom Rowe did the book of Joe Ruth’s collection is my understanding. The  title is the Rifles of W. Milton Farrrow. Go to the BLurb book site bookstore part and search Tom Rowe or Farrow. They print the book when you order I believe.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 4:25am
Print Post  
Went to the Blurb site, found the book.  Joe's classification of the models & their sequence makes a lot of sense.  He lists & describes 28 Farrows, at least half without serial numbers.  I'm with Rodney.  90 bucks is a lot for 34 pages.  Nobody who is not totally into Farrow is going to buy it.  I'm totally into Farrow & Farrows, but I can't afford it.  $90+sales tax+shipping.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #24 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 9:34am
Print Post  
All Tom Rowe publications are, at least in my estimation, absurdly high in price.  Perhaps the underlying pricing philosophy is that if you can afford the guns and all their go-withs, you can also surely afford such books.  But if that's the theory, perhaps reality does sneak in if, as rodneys suggests, a book is not actually printed until ordered.

Oh, well, we all have to make some money somehow.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 11:45am
Print Post  
The costs of printing books have gone through the roof.  Anything of good quality but specialty interest is not going to be cheap.  Check your local college bookstore on textbook prices, and realize that about the population of one good-sized class using that textbook is likely to be about the total market for a Farrow gun book.

And then there is the cost of locating and traveling around to see and photograph the pieces scattered in collections around the country.  If Mr. Rowe makes a McDonald’s manager’s wage out of the Farrow books he sells, he’s probably doing well.  If they don’t all sell, likely he’ll take a bath on that title.

Of course, if Mr. Rowe could see fit to lard the book’s pages with a sex&violence saturated back story of Milton Farrow as The Punisher, saving the world and its fair damsels from bad guys with his patented deadly accurate single-loading sniper rifle (see photos and descriptions), it would likely be a best-seller, and the individual book price would come down.  Cheesy

In any case, the people who will surely profit from the book will be the Farrow collectors.  No surer means of amping up the interest (and price) of a “collectible” exists than writing a book about it.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Interesting comment (at least to me) about the cost of book production.  My son (age 49+++) has worked in a small high-end printing place for 25 years.  They closed their doors for good last Thursday.  The CA mandatory shutdown was the last straw.   

A few years back, they were working on the layout of a book on Frank Wesson guns for a local guy writing about his collection.  They made a trial run in b&w, just so the customer could check the layout.  But the customer never came back to pick up the book.  A couple of years later, Tom Rowe put out a book on Frank Wesson guns, basically the same book.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Farrow was not able to sell all his rifles.  During WW1, Farrow had a contract (at one of his DC addresses) to make some sort of rifle cleaning solvent for the military.  He needed working capital and sold stock (or tried to) in the Farrow Arms Company.  The purchaser of a larger than average number of shares was rewarded with a Farrow rifle.  I have no idea how many such sales were made, if any.  That could be the source for rifles suspected of having been made from reject castings.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Bent Ramrod, if they put a bunch of sex, violence and whatnot into the book, it still wouldn't sell. Most of us would wait for the movie and see it all then.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint