Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Breech seating depth question (Read 4317 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Breech seating depth question
Jan 10th, 2020 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Is there any inherent problem with breech seating a bullet too deep?  Do most seat to engage 1/2 the base band or do most go deeper?  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech seating depth question
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Tom I breech seat my bullets so they engrave completely through the base. Think of it as just being the opposite of muzzle loading a bullet where it is also completely engraved. I have done this with more than one rifle that just did not want to shoot. They all turned out to become extremely competitive after doing so.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I agree with John, more is better

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
At John’s urging, I adjusted my seater to go completely thru the baseband and it made a noticeable difference for the better. I was seating just into the base band.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 9:22am
Print Post  
My method is to start at +.062" Breach seat and push one out and check it for engagement with the chamber. Assuming all is well I then start shooting to find the velocity that gives me the smallest amount of vertical stringing. Then I go back and readjust my seating depth until I get the smallest amount of verticle stringing. I move .005" at a time. Usually am best at the .062" But every so often it wants to be deeper one rifle wanted .080" another wanted .105" 

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Also depends alot on how much freebore the chamber has. And why one cannot just depend on the 1/16 ahead of the case mouth that is always being recommended. The freebore on my 28-35 is .220 for example. The reamer was bought used and as new and the way someone wanted it ground. I seat the bullet to engrave just beyond the base so a plugged is a no go and this rifle has been extremely competitive since the day I chambered it and it still is. Seat the bullet any less than and accuracy falls off. I have found this to hold true with all of my competitive rifles and it's well worth giving it a try. Now to find someone who is interested in making the same high quality breech seaters as the Weber's are for our shooting community.

IP Logged

Barrabruce

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 6:29am
Print Post  
So you are saying that you seat the base of the bullet 0.220" + deep ahead of the case in that rifle.
Or 
It engraves the rifling to the front of the base band of the bullet and the base band is filling the free bore?

I sort of got lost with the plugged bit as a gauge.

I’m getting my best grouping by just dropping a bullet in the barrell and using the end of a pencil or such to tap it gently a couple of times.

I know it’s probably totally ridiculously rough but I am trying learn to do it properly. As one day when I get a real gun  I have figured out what I am supposed to do.

The chamber reamer I am thinking of has 100 thou free bore.
Thnx
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2020 at 6:48am by Barrabruce »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 11:34am
Print Post  
The base of the bullet is seated .220 ahead of the case.

IP Logged

squibshot

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Make sure your not continually hitting the end of your chamber and working up a burr or wear at the six o'clock position.  Shouldnt be a problem with a properly built seating tool.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
This is some what true and why my seater plug has three very distinct sizes and the last to fit the bore minus half a thousandths. If using a brass seater plug any damage that might take place would be to the brass seater plug itself and not to any of the harder surfaces.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Breach seating to fully engrave the base that will create fins. Won’t that decrease accuracy? With muzzle loading no fins are created on the base ....

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
There are no fins created unless the bullet is way over the proper groove size.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks John ....

IP Logged

Dusty Rhodes

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 6:18am
Print Post  
Thanks for the experienced info guys, I was about to ask a question on how deep we can go with breach seating. My 40/65 has .200" free bore to the start of the lands. 
A thick base band is advantageous. The old 1/16th of an inch rule is irrelevent. My seater is set at .110". If we were to stick with the 1/16th of an inch in the perfect world, we would have to be continually trimming cases other wise the gap varies with each different case. I know shooters who don't use a full case of Black powder, proving that the gap size is not an issue because the Wad is down inside of the case a little.  cheers all.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint