Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 1873 made rolling block buffalo rifle (Read 2946 times)
Jacob Hargrave

1873 made rolling block buffalo rifle
Sep 1st, 2019 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
New to the forum and thought you all might like to see an original buff gun I have. 50/70. The photos were taken by the shop I purchased from here in Houston. Cell phone shots are me when I did some looking for the serial number. 

J. Hargrave
Humble, Texas
IP Logged

Jacob Hargrave

Re: 1873 made rolling block buffalo rifle
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Another picture

J. Hargrave
Humble, Texas
IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
If your "roller" has a single-set trigger, that's an uncommon option.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Looks like someone ordered a short barrel, or cut it down to make it an easier carry gun. It's a very heavy weight barrel also! Has a lot of character for sure! And as Bill said the single set trigger is a somewhat uncommon option.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2019 at 10:37am by marlinguy »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Love that gun ! Has a great look to it and no one has cleaned or messed with it thank goodness ! Did collectors firearms have that ? It looks familiar. Very hard to find rolling blocks in 50-70.

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
The pictures are from the Collectors Firearms website, also the lanyard/strap gives it away. Jacob, did you get any history on the rifle? Nice historical piece.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2019 at 10:08pm by rollingblock »  

IP Logged

Jacob Hargrave

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I did get from Collectors, yes. Good price (4K) too since they had no history and didn’t even remove the forearm cap or butt plate to get the serial number. I really wanted an original buffalo gun.  I did find the serial number and consulted Ken Womak from Rolling Block Parts. Here are his comments.... 

Jacob,
Very interesting rifle.
The receiver exhibits characteristics  from different years (periods) of manufacture.
Tang markings are typically pre-1873.
The breech block and hammer were not made prior to August of 1870.
The absence of the patent numbers on the side of  the receiver also supports manufacture prior to 1873.
The numbers on the side of the tangs were production numbers not serial numbers and as such don't tell us much. Your barrel marked 1871 is far more consistent with the proper SN.  Given the features of the rifle that SN would be time period correct.  You might look closely at the inside of the forend tip, inside of the butt plate back end of the forend and the front face of the receiver walls for a SN confirmation.
Interesting that the butt plate on the rifle is typical of the sporting rifles made after late 1872 to early 1873.
Remington was not above mixing parts that happened to be in the bins. 
I am comfortable with manufacture circa late '72 early '73.

The dovetail under the barrel is very consistent with the barrel mounted forward sling swivel.
That leather lace through the wrist is more like a saddle ring than anything else I can think of. Definitely not don to reinforce stock wrist damage or weakness.
The crowns on the barrels were cut flat in the factory, that wear off one side was probably not something done overnight.
Love to know the history of this one.
Thank you for sharing,
Kenn Womack

J. Hargrave
Humble, Texas
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 10:47am
Print Post  
I have one very similar to yours in .44-77SBN. It also is a single set trigger, and heavy barrel, but the barrel is 34" long. Serial number range on mine is in the 1400 range.
My gun has no tang markings at all, and was never drilled and tapped for a tang sight. 
I don't think the absence of rollstamps on the left side of the receiver means much to date them. Mine is a lower serial number than yours and it has the patent dates on the left side of the receiver. Seems Remington was not all that consistent about markings. Mine not having a tang rollstamp puzzled me because that usually was omitted when they D&T for a tang sight. But mine isn't, yet no tang markings.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint