Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A.W. Peterson Business Card ... (Read 7244 times)
Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

A.W. Peterson Business Card ...
Aug 26th, 2019 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I was going through a box of parts I bought recently from a regional auction house and on the very bottom was a warranty / registration card for a Vaver-Whittek sight ... and underneath that was this original A.W. Peterson business card.  it's the first I've ever seen.  It measures approx. 2-1/8 x 3-7/8".  The card is signed by A.W.'s son Roy Peterson.

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Re: A.W. Peterson Business Card ...
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
... and because this is the "Rifle Photos section, my A.W.Peterson .22 Ballard rifle ...

IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I'm gonna need a cold shower now...What a beautiful rifle!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Anyone know why the 11s and 12s on the American Standard target only count 10?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Aug 27th, 2019 at 3:17am:

I think the 11 and 12 rings were added to separate the sheep from the goats amongst the bench-rest shooters.

CHRIS

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Wonderful Ballard, and a great piece of paper memorabilia too! Interesting that his business card shows his address as the Larimer street shop, which I believe is the shop he bought from Schoyen's widow after his death in 1916. 
In 1906 when he set that matching record, he was Schoyen's partner, and not sure if his son Roy was involved? I believe Roy was not even teen years when his father shot that record target. The card must be from much later than the date of the record setting match. 
I saved copy of the images of the card though, as I love this kind of history! Wish my Peterson was even slightly close to yours!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Oh, my stars and little comets, what a rifle!

And since the card says "and Son", Roy is certainly part of the business.  But I'd have left the earlier stuff on the back, too; pride, to install confidence in my potential customers, etc..

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2019 at 1:57pm by Bill Lawrence »  

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Couldn't of said it better than what Vall said. Beautiful Ballard and what a piece of history that business card is. What a great find.  Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
rgchristensen wrote on Aug 27th, 2019 at 3:58am:
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Aug 27th, 2019 at 3:17am:

I think the 11 and 12 rings were added to separate the sheep from the goats amongst the bench-rest shooters.

CHRIS

They definitely separate 'em in offhand!   Grin  Should give 'em if they can hit 'em  Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Here is a bit of history on the location. Starting on the fourth paragraph .... as a write up - it's not bad,  for being written by a non-shooter.

From the vantage of the picture, John Lower's shop was just across the street and in the next block to the right. His building was lost in the urban-renewal of the late 1960's.

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:52pm by CW »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:17am
Print Post  
That short article was indeed interesting to me for two reasons.  First, several posts here have said that Henry Simmons was the man Schoyen relied on for stocking.  But if Simmons really didn't join the firm until 1915, the tail end of the classic Schuetzen era, who did the stocking earlier?

Second, I have an ad cover for the Peterson shop in Florida.  Axel and Roy's names are still prominently displayed while Baker's name isn't.  Was this deliberate on Baker's part, perhaps hoping that the Peterson name would still be a major customer draw?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 10:08am
Print Post  
There are typos in the text here and there.  In the following I assume Plower is really John Lower. "Denver had four premier gunsmiths in 1886.  Accuracy was desired in a fire arm.  Accurate guns were build from scratch.  The barrel was the key, it had to machined properly.  Charles Gove, gunsmith, came to Denver in June of 1860.  In 1873 he took on two other gunsmiths into his business, John Plower and George C. Schoyen.  Plower specialized in Sharps rifles and Colt pistols.  Schoven’s niche was match rifles.  These gunsmiths eventually parted ways.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Bill  I know that very often stockmakers, both then and now, did their work in their own shop. Not at all unusual, and it may have become, for a lot of reasons, necessary for him to find new space. Simmons may also have been capable of other gun work and was asked to join the Peterson firm. Speculation on my part, but will ask a person who will have answers.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I think there's more than a couple errors in the writer's story! Not just the JP Lower's name, but also in "Charles Gove" who should be Carlos Gove. 
then there's the part about Schoyen parting ways with Gove, which is nonsense. Gove sold his business to Schoyen in 1884 when Gove decided to retire and turn the business over to Schoyen.
In 1903 Schoyen's business had grown to such extent that he and Peterson formed a partnership and moved the business to the 1417 Larwrence St. address. They remained partners there until 1916 when Schoyen died and AW Peterson bought the business from Schoyen's wife.
Henry Simmons was working for Schoyen long before AW Peterson joined Schoyen, and remained there after Peterson and Schoyen became partners. I have no idea where the author got his 1916 date, but it's just plain wrong since it would be impossible for Simmons to stock guns for Schoyen after he was dead.
John Dutcher has told me that Henry Simmons was responsible for stocking almost all the guns that left Schoyen and Peterson's shop that got restocked. I have no reason to doubt him, since he's got much more Schoyen knowledge than anyone else I know of.
John also told me that when he was a young boy he went into Peterson's shop with his father, and there was a gentleman building stocks there that he assumed was Henry Simmons. I think John said he was about 12 yrs.old, so he didn't think to ask for sure who the little old man was. But Simmons did continue to work with Peterson after Schoyen died.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:17am:

Second, I have an ad cover for the Peterson shop in Florida.  Axel and Roy's names are still prominently displayed while Baker's name isn't.  Was this deliberate on Baker's part, perhaps hoping that the Peterson name would still be a major customer draw?

Bill Lawrence

Peterson never had a shop in Mt. Dora, Florida. The contents of Peterson's shop were purchased and moved there by the buyer. It is maintained as a sort of Peterson museum, and used to attract customers to the shop.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint