Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another in the stable (Read 6587 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Another in the stable
Aug 22nd, 2019 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
I had to do it!  Haven't owned a C-Sharps before, now I can say I do.   
Picked up a '75 in near new condition and of course had to go give it a whirl.  It's a 50-90 and surprisingly comparing this to a roller I built in the same caliber a few years back, felt recoil is very comfortable as far as big guns go.  Shooting a 450 grain and pushing it 1200 fps felt recoil was comparable to my Shiloh in 45-70 with a 500 gr creedmoor.  The next bullet shot was a 625 gr Creedmoor pushing it 1100 fps. - felt recoil is small in comparison to the roller with the same load.  Next loading will be the 765 gr for the mile targets but I think I'll recruit young bodies for load development... Grin
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Re: Another in the stable
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
GT, I think your stable mate is a beautiful. If I shot it I doubt I would find the recoil comfortable. Could you tell us what the grove diameter is?   
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2019 at 8:18pm by LONG RANGE »  

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
GT
a '75 in 50-90 can't be too common. I never warmed up to that model's looks, but have shot them and know they handle and shoot well. I have a Hartford '74  that I built way back and its a 50-90, never could part with that one, just too much fun. They have a good sound I let my rancher neighbors hear every so often.
best
kw

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Hey Greg, Nice rifle. You do know that singleshotitis has no known cure, don't ya?  Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
LR,  She slugs at .5118 so a bit tight compared to the other 4 barrels I have, and a 1:24 twist.  I calculated BC's from last nights data, the 450 gr. come up with a .240 while the 625's gave me a .529.  Accuracy with the first batch of loads on each, the 625's were 1/3 the size... but it was nearly dark.  KW, with a duplex load of 1F it does have a real distinct sound Grin
Dale, I've been told there may be a cure but in words I heard from Jerry H, "if you ever do discover the cure, DON'T tell me what it is".   Wink
Greg

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 11:33am
Print Post  
FYA'sI, 
When I shot this the other evening, I had three misfires but all of them had the appearance of light strikes.  From research on this forum and a couple others a broken firing pin was suspect- when I got the breech block out and started measuring and inspecting, the firing pin was still one piece, the transfer bar looked good - no cracks.  What I did find was protrusion, the firing pin looked like was smeared a little - assume it was forced open (or attempted) a few times without going to half cock... measurement was about .025 protrusion.  I made a new firing pin last night, another application I'm going to try titanium  Cool - Protrusion looks a lot better so when the moment arises, I'm loading and heading to the range again  Cheesy
Greg

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 7:34am
Print Post  
I'm in the minority.... I never warmed up to the 1874 looks. I think the 75 is a great looking gun.

I doubt Titanium will help any with such a small firing pin.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Gard72977 wrote on Aug 24th, 2019 at 7:34am:
I'm in the minority.... I never warmed up to the 1874 looks. I think the 75 is a great looking gun.

I doubt Titanium will help any with such a small firing pin.

Count me in the discriminating minority too!  Much nicer lines on the 1875 IMHO. 
Not looking for one in 50 caliber though. Wink 

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Good looking 75 ,  Wil the rear sight be tall enough for a mile?  And what does it weigh? 
LD1

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Gard,
The titanium won't do anything for lock time here  Smiley but the wear and breakage resistance on other firing pins I've made has been significant -   
In my opinion, the '74 is like the Hepburn they had to grow on me.  The Ballard, roller, 85, the 44-1/2, in my minds eye, THOSE are the single shots.  The Borchardt, from how I understand it is a derivative of the 75? without a hammer is still something I'm barely accepting -even after 30 years of collecting and shooting them.   
If all you shoot is gongs, it seems that everyone has a 74 Sharps - Shiloh and C-Sharps make nice ones.  I like to swim against the current and show up with rifles, calibers, and sights that most aren't familiar with.   
Greg

IP Logged

derrickman

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
I believe I still have an adjustable 50 cal paper patch mould.
PM me if interested.
derrickman

IP Logged

flint45
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I have a 75 that started life as a .50-140 re barreled to .the .40-65 one of the most accurate rifles I own. The .50 140 barrel is now a ..50-70 in a rolling block was my hunting gun tell Cal. banned lead bullets for hunting  Angry

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Had the big 50 at a match this weekend, it didn't let me down.  Sort of lost focus after 24 shots and a meal break but I don't think there was a problem with the rifle - of the first 24 shots all were hits   Wink  got a little lax (timid?) on the next 16 shots and it showed.

I did have a problem at a LGS last week...  Cheesy  saw this heinous looking thing and it followed me home today- another in the stable - my son thinks pulling this fugly thing off the end, doing the form 1 thing (suppressor) and making it a prairie dog cannon (45-70 it is) will be quite the work piece - it's so ugly the price was right!    Grin

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
That sure is 'different'.  Huh

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Not trying to do it any injustice but the wood to metal fit could have been approved on. Just doesn't appear to be the type of work for a number one that Ruger would have let leave the shop. With that being said I do believe it was put together using wood that was not original to the rifle?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 12:03am
Print Post  
It's a cool rifle, don't pay any attention to critics who need to be 'approved' on.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Some of the work to the wood looks to be off, fit to the barrel is really pitiful - little things indicate that it is original wood to the  gun- looks like there was a substantial chip back by the tang and all that was done in my opinion is a little finish was applied.  Like I said, it is ugly - the transition from octagon to round for the brake is hideous - as is the brake but there isn't much I can modify that will hurt it's initial appearance  Wink.  There is enough porting there for a 50 BMG  Grin and in a little 1:18 twist 45-70 - it's overkill- the rifle alone weighs in at 15 pounds, add a 4-16 scope... this weekend I'll go give it a try, maybe it's a sleeper? 

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Some people rescue dogs or cats , but you rescue orphan single shots. some one has to do it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 10:49am
Print Post  
I must be in the extremely small minority! The only Sharps that ever intrigued me is the Borchardt. Never have been a sidehammer fan, regardless of brand.
But I can understand the "need" to accumulate many more single shot rifles! Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 9:10am:
Some people rescue dogs or cats , but you rescue orphan single shots. some one has to do it.

Grin Grin That one made me chuckle.  Nate thinks this one is the red headed step child.

Val,
I have a few of these side hammer guns and like you - they've never really done much for me, with the long transfer bar and all - I struggle getting my mind around how they can be remotely accurate - but three that I've been shooting are doing remarkable at longer ranges!   
I have two builds in process and one is getting the Freund conversion done to it.  I'm "tweeking" the transfer bar/firing pin a tiny bit on both so we'll see where that goes.  Since I've been doing these projects my opinion of the side hammer guns has changed - there still not my favorite but they've moved up a little.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint