Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another in the stable (Read 6592 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Another in the stable
Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 12:03am
Print Post  
It's a cool rifle, don't pay any attention to critics who need to be 'approved' on.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Some of the work to the wood looks to be off, fit to the barrel is really pitiful - little things indicate that it is original wood to the  gun- looks like there was a substantial chip back by the tang and all that was done in my opinion is a little finish was applied.  Like I said, it is ugly - the transition from octagon to round for the brake is hideous - as is the brake but there isn't much I can modify that will hurt it's initial appearance  Wink.  There is enough porting there for a 50 BMG  Grin and in a little 1:18 twist 45-70 - it's overkill- the rifle alone weighs in at 15 pounds, add a 4-16 scope... this weekend I'll go give it a try, maybe it's a sleeper? 

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Some people rescue dogs or cats , but you rescue orphan single shots. some one has to do it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 10:49am
Print Post  
I must be in the extremely small minority! The only Sharps that ever intrigued me is the Borchardt. Never have been a sidehammer fan, regardless of brand.
But I can understand the "need" to accumulate many more single shot rifles! Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 9:10am:
Some people rescue dogs or cats , but you rescue orphan single shots. some one has to do it.

Grin Grin That one made me chuckle.  Nate thinks this one is the red headed step child.

Val,
I have a few of these side hammer guns and like you - they've never really done much for me, with the long transfer bar and all - I struggle getting my mind around how they can be remotely accurate - but three that I've been shooting are doing remarkable at longer ranges!   
I have two builds in process and one is getting the Freund conversion done to it.  I'm "tweeking" the transfer bar/firing pin a tiny bit on both so we'll see where that goes.  Since I've been doing these projects my opinion of the side hammer guns has changed - there still not my favorite but they've moved up a little.   

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint