Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mr. Roller (Read 6515 times)
LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Re: Mr. Roller
Reply #15 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
The rifle appears, to me at least to be a sporing rifle with an octagon barrel. In the picture I have seen of Custer when he was on a buffalo hunt with the Russian Arch Duke he was using a military issue rifle with a full length stock. As to the death of Crazy Horse, it was always attributed to the Indian police, then it was uncertain. Now it was the soldiers who killed him.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
I've looked at and enlarged the better image found by kootne and there does seem to be something on Touch the Cloud's belt or more likely his right braid that together with the rifle being angled is the source of the action's "strangeness".  In any case, it's certainly a rolling block.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
How about this one? (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Here is another of GAC with his rolling block rifle and a nice bull elk. I know for years there has been speculation about those rifles being the same rifle but I personally think the barrel is shorter in the Custer/elk photo than the one Touch the Cloud is holding. Remember George was about 9" shorter than the Indian. But both rifles do appear to round tops with heavy barrels.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
I don't know, the ratio of the length of the foreend to the barrel past the foreend seems to be about 3:4 in both.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Well, I dug out a heavy barrel sporter (30.375" barrel) for comparison measurements. The GAC/elk picture doesn't give a good view of the end of the forearm so I compared length of receiver to barrel length. I am putting it at ~28.44"
On the Touches the Cloud rifle I measured the forearm and barrel and using the forearm length of my rifle (10.875) I am putting his barrel at ~30.5"
I blew the pictures up and used a Mitutoyo dial caliper to measure the pictures and a tape measure to get the rifle measurements.
I don't think they are the same rifle. 
ymmv
I do think somewhere I heard the serial number of GAC's sporter was 3535 but that seems late for what looks like a roundtop. I only remember that because I have one #3735

Dennis
p.s. to the OP, I love the comment added to the picture!

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Custer had two Remington Rolling Blocks. One a hunting model that I believe was a .50-70 Sporting rifle, and a 2nd that was a standard Creedmoor Long Range model in .44-90 with 34" full octagon barrel, pistol grip stocks, and long range sights. This second gun was given to Custer after he wrote a letter to Remington telling them how much he liked the first Sporting rifle.
The 2nd gun was donated by Brice Custer to the Monroe County Historical Society in 1991. It is still in that museum

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint