Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New month, new gun... (Read 3982 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

New month, new gun...
Jun 10th, 2019 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Trying to stay true to form with my passion... The proprietor from a LGS sent me an email while I was enroute to the Baker shoot last week and said he had a rolling block show up in a caliber he'd never seen before.  When I read that it was a 444 Marlin I sent him back that it was more than likely a Navy Arms, and if it was I'd take it so save it for me  Smiley  Not that I wanted a roller in this caliber, don't have any brass, dies, molds or any other goodies - nor  interest - but that can change in a moment.    After holding it, I'm like a father with a newborn.  It's nothing spectacular, clean bore, fairly good finish, nice trigger, wood that is second cousin to mother of fence post  Grin   Here's pictures and now the rest of the items will hit the list...  maybe find time in the next couple months to experiment and I'll share results.  Wink 
(it's sitting on top of some of next winter's projects that showed up - just for clarity and for the rub to a few  Grin )
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: New month, new gun...
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
The Roller is neat, but I want to know more about the parts under the Roller!!!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I am afraid I am with Marlinguy ... yes, the Rolling Block looks fun but are you milling the Ballard rifles breechblock halves?!

Joe

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I finally found/saw the RB. The Ballard breechblocks were what drew my attention! 

(Nice Roller by the way).

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Jerry, Val & Joe
Thanks for pointing out the Roller. All I saw was those Ballard breech block halves. Grin

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Roller looks good but I like what you are doing with the Ballard’s. I will let you know how that dst set works out.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:08am
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:20pm:
I will let you know how that dst set works out.

Collusion???

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Well...  I do have a few Ballards and the fitting process looks to be a challenge.  A few different ideas have crossed this feeble mind and there will be a few wrecks - as with many situations like this, the cost of cutting a few blanks was actually more than doing several   Wink   Thanks guys, I'm glad they didn't go unnoticed.
Here's a couple of pictures of the breech block I'm working on for my #3 - I'm leaning towards trying a close couple set for this...
Greg

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 1:39am
Print Post  
JerryH wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:08am:
rodneys wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:20pm:
I will let you know how that dst set works out.

Collusion???

JerryH

There may be just a tiny of that, Rodney may have bribed one of the fellas involved with this with a Ballard casting - Understand there is a considerable amount of fitting and work left - the holes aren't c-bored or tapped, no parts, no pieces -so as far as the insurance co. is concerned it's a piece of steel with holes and some milling done and if asked what it is, it may be a southern port for a northbound hobby horse.  Grin  Besides it may be another 6 -8 months before this someone has time for it - not sure it will work or that there is enough talent here...

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Excited to see the outcome......you guys are amazing...I'm still working on figuring out how to keep my shoes tied...maybe the next 40 will teach me something....(lookin into slippers and double knotting)

IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Count me in as very interested in a Ballard breechblock, I have a frame with no innards and would enjoy fitting it up! Have the dst triggers, hammer and such, just no block.Sigh.

Also...I had a No.2 Ballard a while back that liked 444 Marlin brass and a 330 gr bullet over a case full of 2F black powder.Amazingly fun to shoot and accurate enough to win more than a few dollars at the range.Try it...You'll like it !

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Am also interested in a set of those block halves for my #3 receiver. Please keep us posted on availability.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint