Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 in .25-20SS ... did it again! (Read 20396 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 in .25-20SS ... did it again!
Reply #15 - May 9th, 2019 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
My Ballard shows no sign of primer pounding the breach block shooting 1000s of LR.  I did have the boyz at Cody make a new breech block but that was to have a quick change spare part in case of spring or firing pin problems during a match. Neither shows the problem.  Could it be a high pressure issue?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 9th, 2019 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
I do know that Kirk at Shiloh Sharps advises not to use pistol primers in the rifles he builds.  He's apparently had people bring in damaged breech blocks.

I have shot thousands of them in C. Sharps highwalls and hundreds in my CPA rifles with no ill effects, but I almost always shim the primers with 0.006" paper.  I don't know if that really helps, but it sounds good to me.

Chris.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 9th, 2019 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Well, that was easy enough to check. I just checked Federal small pistol match and small rifle match. They both measured .1185 in height. Maybe CIL used to make some weird ones;-) I use the Federal small pistol match primers in my 25-20 SS, by the way, with 6.8 grains of H108 under Lyman 257420 GC bullets cast of 1 to 20.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2019 at 8:02pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #18 - May 9th, 2019 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Could it be a high pressure issue?

I believe it was.
John used a higher powder load so the slamming back of the pistol primer was related to his load being more of a rifle load as opposed to the pistol loads most Schuetzen shooters use.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 9th, 2019 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on May 9th, 2019 at 7:56pm:
Well, that was easy enough to check. I just checked Federal small pistol match and small rifle match. They both measured .1185 in height. Maybe CIL used to make some weird ones;-) I use the Federal small pistol match primers in my 25-20 SS, by the way, with 6.8 grains of H108 under Lyman 257420 GC bullets cast of 1 to 20.

My Ballard experience has been Fed 150 LP.  I have never measured them. 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - May 9th, 2019 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on May 9th, 2019 at 9:47pm:
oneatatime wrote on May 9th, 2019 at 7:56pm:

My Ballard experience has been Fed 150 LP.  I have never measured them. 

The Small Rifle and Small Pistol primer pocket uniforming tool from Sinclair uses the same smaller diameter cutter and is set to the same pocket depth for both types of small primers.
The Large Rifle and Large Pistol primer pocket uniforming tools from Sinclair uses the same larger diameter cutter, but the Large Rifle primer pocket uniformer is set for a deeper pocket depth, while the Large Pistol primer pocket uniformer is set to a shallower pocket depth.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 10th, 2019 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Do we know yet the maker of that tang sight on Reverend Al's rifle?

<div class=

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - May 10th, 2019 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
The sight mystery is solved!  I went to take some close ups of the sight today.  When I removed the sight disc and looked closer I saw that it was marked "Watson Reg'd" on it.  Nothing else on the base or mast.  OK, so next I had a closer look with a magnifying glass at the front globe sight with pinball post and very faintly (a bit tough to read with my terrible eyes) it says:  "Watson Pat'd Dec 12 05" and then under that "Niagara Falls Canada".  There is something more just behind the patent date, but I can't make it out.  Possibly another date?

So I went looking online (Google is your friend!) and low and behold I found a post about Mr. Watson and his sights!  Apparently he was a Canadian sight maker in Niagara Falls, Ontario which makes sense since this rifle came from Ontario.  Here is the info that was in that post.

I had the opportunity of examining an 1899 rifle on the weekend that had a Watson front globe sight. On the sight it stated "Watson, Niagara Falls, Canada, Sept 06".
This may help solve the mystery of who Watson, where and when he produced sights.

Does anyone have any further info on Watson sights?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - May 10th, 2019 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Good work, Reverend Al!  It appears to be a very well-made sight; and since Niagara Falls, Canada is literally just over the border, I'm surprised that we haven't seen more of them, especially on guns originally from the New York area around the falls.  In any case, it gives me something new to look for.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - May 10th, 2019 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
That rings a bell. I had to look it up and when I saw the square shaft that cinched it. I have one at my smith that some day will end up on my H&A 1122 when it is lined.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Well, I finally got out to the range today with this Stevens in .25-20SS and shot a few rounds out of it.  What a pleasant little cartridge to shoot!  I think this will soon be a favorite of mine.  Seems like most folks like 7.0 grains of 4227 so I loaded a few rounds with the 86 grain bullets from the original Winchester mould and it's a good start!  (But these are only at 50 yards ...)

The flyers are likely just me, plus I didn't bother to weigh any of the bullets.  One problem I'm having is that the tiny aperture hole on the tang sight is partially obscured with dust or lint.  What is everybody using to clean dirty tang sight discs?  I've used pipe cleaners in the past on larger aperture discs, but the aperture hole on the disc for this sight is so tiny they won't fit through the hole.  Anyone have any tips on how to clean it?

Didn't take the Maynard in .25-20SS with me today ... I'll shoot it another day.

Smiley

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

338br

Reply #26 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
good looking rifle and shooting. I have one in 25-20 with a bad bore, relined to a 218 Bee shoots well

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 1:58am
Print Post  
Oh, and by the way ... these old WRA cases were large primer and I used Winchester Large Pistol primers.  All of the fired primers looked fine.
I'll have to take my Labradar chronograph up to the range with me next time just to see what velocity these loads are generating in my Stevens 44.  Next time I'll take my 1882 Maynard and test fire it with some of these same loads and chrono them for comparison too.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Going up island to a gun show tomorrow and will pick up another 35 rounds of .25-20SS brass from a gunsmith friend that lives much farther up island, but is coming down island for the show.

This morning I was on an online auction site and bid and won 130 rounds of .22 Lovel which I can fire-form into .25-20SS.
This now gives me about 250 rounds of brass for my two rifles so that I can dedicate about 125 to each gun and keep the fired cases segregated.  (I'll neck size only after they are all fire-formed in the two rifles.)
Smiley

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 9:49am
Print Post  
I often clean out sight apertures using a can of compressed air that I bought a few years ago at Staples.  It works really well.  Often I find that when I can't get a good sight picture it is from a very tiny amount of lint stuck in the rear sight aperture or in the front sight insert.

It looks like you've got that little Stevens rifle working well.  I had one for a while that made the rounds through the various gun shows here on the mainland.  The .25-20 SS is a cool little cartridge!

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint