Poll
Poll Question: Let me
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: coljimmy on: May 3rd, 2019 at 11:00pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: 1873 Sharps 90 Bull Barrel (Read 12832 times)
LRF
Oldtimer

Re: 1873 Sharps 90 Bull Barrel
May 3rd, 2019 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Cool
If you know anymore history or possibly even half truths about the gun please tell us. Smiley

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 1873 Sharps 50 Bull Barrel
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2019 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle and a good restoring job, not too much.
My idea of a buffalo rifle, maybe a little light for 50 plus shots of .50 caliber.
Chuck

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2019 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Also probably hurt the collector value price.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Let me suggest "Metal Cleaner", a soft metal alloy that resembles a Brillo Pad, but this stuff doesn't scratch a blue finish or even nickel plate, especially when used with a drop of any kind of oil.  MSRP is $6, but also seen for 5.  Wrap a few strands around a bore brush and it really helps a rusty bore.  I much prefer it to fine steel wool.  I will try a copper penny, thanks for the tip.  Good job on the Sharps.
James

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Looks like a conversion action with a 74 lockplate. Did the stated 1873 manufacture date come from a factory letter ? All things being equal- if that gun was for sale in its prior untouched heavily rusted state and in its current cleaned state it would without a doubt bring more money with the rust...probably a lot more money.

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Hmmm as I look at it more it could be an 1869. Cant tell need a better look at the lockplate. Thats an early barrel stamp and the hump on the lockplate looks like an 1869. Is the lockplate thicker than a typical 1874 ? If thats a numbers matching gun it would be very interesting. The refinished wood and now the cleaned metal cut the value 50-70%. Sharps guys like the rust  Sad

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
I disagree. I buy and sell whats probably an above average number of sharps sporting rifles and see a fair number of them bought and sold. The sanded/cleaned wood hurt the gun. The cleaned metal look killed it. I generally dont get into contentous things on here and keep my opinion to myself but cleaning the metal on that rifle really hurt its value. You scraped away thousands of dollars with the rust. people buying these kind of guns are buying the rust and wear and bruises. They arent buying blueing. You cant grade a sharps buffalo gun like a model 70 winchester. Like it or not you hurt the value of this gun-big time. It should never have been cleaned like that

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
And the wood has absolutley been cleaned. All the best-

Zack

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Dave Please tell me you didn't scrape that stock.  Anyone can see from a mile that is not the original patina.  That stock has been taken down with a scraper or whatever. Between the cleaned metal and scraped stock  that gun lost $5000-$7000  or value. If it's a 1869  then maybe more.  If you did the cleaning you should cut a check to the owner.  It should be a crime.  I seriously feel sick but this kind of thing happens anymore. Not only that but it gets posted on a site  pertaining to antique guns as a success...

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2019 at 12:02am
Print Post  
That butt stock has absolutely been cleaned. This is like arguing that the sky is blue.  Dont take my word for it. Take it to a real gunshow. Lay that gun on a table at Denver then see the ol boys cringe and weep. For anyone following this thread and might be thinking about "cleaning" their old sharps or rolling block or plains rifle- what was done to this gun was a shame. Just a crying shame...

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2019 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Forgive the bad picture. Its dark, bad lighting, cell phone pic etc. take a look at this gun. Its covered in rust. Has a decent bore and I could scrape the metal, replace the wood, straighten the bent tang and have a gun exactly like the one the original poster posted. Dig deeper and you find out it was shipped to Ft Griffin Texas. A buffalo hunter bought this gun off the rack of Frank Conrads store which was part of a cluster of thrown together tents and plank buildings on the plains of north Texas. What happened to that buffalo hunter ? No one will ever know for sure but a lot of them met untimely ends at the hands of unfriendly Comanches. look closer at the gun and you will see the barrel has been cut down to 20"- then carried so much that the edges on the underside of the octagon barrel have been worn smooth. What happened to this gun that its in such poor shape ? I dont know but the upper tang has been bent down and the end of the lower tang was broken off. Was it taken off a dead hide hunter by a Comanche then used as a club in some desperate last stand then left on the plains ? No idea but when I pick up this gun I can see the history it lived through. It was there. When I pick up a gun like the one Dave cleaned I just see another cleaned sharps with a shiny barrel... Cry

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2019 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Forgive another bad picture. This gun is a heavy 44-90 Buffalo gun. Went to Frank Freund i Cheyenne. Forend worn off. Covered in rust. Thats 140 years of patina on the wood. A scraper, a penny, strong elbow and some OOO steel wool And it would look just like your Dave. Would also be worth about 70% less

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2019 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Pic

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2019 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Nope. Wood has clearly been messed with. "Derusting" hurt the value guaranteed. You did the owner no favors. The first thing I would do if I got this gun would be to re-rust it to make it not look like it was just scraped with a penny and rubbed with wd40 and steel wool. Glad the owner is happy. Ignorance is bliss I guess. For others looking at this thread- dont do it !! Its a crime against history and another relic of our past has been irreparably damaged. If that gun looked like it had been dug out of the ground and still had dirt sticking on it would have been better to just brush the dirt off, apply some light oil to the metal only to stop but not remove the active rust and then either leave it alone or sell it to someone that will. At minimum that wood has been scraped, sanded and oiled. Sadly everyone seems to have steel wool and linseed oil around their garage. A couple beers later and there you go. Sad

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2019 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
I won't get into the debate about cleaning vs. value.  But please do replace the Allen-headed forearm screw.  If the threads are unmolested, original screws should still available from Dixie, S&S, and possibly other sources.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint