Poll
Poll Question: Let me
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: coljimmy on: May 3rd, 2019 at 11:00pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: 1873 Sharps 90 Bull Barrel (Read 12860 times)
craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 1873 Sharps 50 Bull Barrel
Reply #30 - May 6th, 2019 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on May 6th, 2019 at 12:14pm:
...This is a perfect example of why many people do not participate in these forums.

Seemed, past tense, to be an interesting project. Is perfection a one way street?

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Re: 1873 Sharps 90 Bull Barrel
Reply #31 - May 8th, 2019 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Dave could you please link the sharps collectors site ? This arrogant collector would like to see the discussion for his own "education"

Zack

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #32 - May 8th, 2019 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Hi Dave- no i am seriously just curious. If im wrong im happy to say so. From the "discussion" over there it doesnt sound like there were any actual opinions or actual discussion. This isnt a personal attack man. I simply expressed my opinion. I buy a fair number of sharps. I look at a fair number of sharps and I see a lot of sharps bought and sold. My opinion is based on those experiences. If there is other information or discussion that actually is robust and refutes my opinions i am happy to weigh those objectively otherwise this thread has gone on too long in this direction with me admittedly to blame in large part

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - May 11th, 2019 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Let’s see. A halfway decent Sharps rifle is given to the “grandkids” say eighty years ago or so, and ends up in a leaky barn or wood shed. Today, it is brown and rusted up. It is still worth “thousands of dollars” to a collector? Really?  Huh

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #34 - May 12th, 2019 at 8:59am
Print Post  
rollingblock wrote on May 11th, 2019 at 8:41pm:
Let’s see. A halfway decent Sharps rifle is given to the “grandkids” say eighty years ago or so, and ends up in a leaky barn or wood shed. Today, it is brown and rusted up. It is still worth “thousands of dollars” to a collector? Really?  Huh

Yes, really! This phenomenon seems to be pretty common among old sidehammer Sharps sporting rifles. Of course they're worth more if kept in nice shape, but even rusty they bring thousands of dollars regularly.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - May 12th, 2019 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I guess since the meat-n-taters of the thread are gone, this is only about the opinion of the definition of rust. Folks can do anything they want to their rifles in my opinion. The thing that makes me pause a bit, sometimes cringe, is if steel wool is taken to an antique. Yup, there could be a place for it, but it's probably taking a little bit of good stuff along with the bad.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - May 12th, 2019 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Yeah, rusty old Sharps always bring more than rusty old rolling blocks, except, there was this dug up 50-70 one out of Montana with the initials GAC on it.......

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - May 13th, 2019 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I have noticed there is a POLL with no question at the beginning of this thread.

Is there a photo of the rifle being discussed in this thread?

Kind of confused. Am I missing something?

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint