Poll
Poll Question: Let me
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: coljimmy on: May 3rd, 2019 at 11:00pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: 1873 Sharps 90 Bull Barrel (Read 12858 times)
Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Re: 1873 Sharps 50 Bull Barrel
Reply #15 - May 4th, 2019 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Dave,
  I think you did a damn fine job. For Zack to compare it to a dug relic or the other one in better condition than your's is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the idea your work devalued it by 5-7 thousand dollars or more. The stock doesn't look touched to me.
  I smell a troll. Wink

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - May 4th, 2019 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
No Jeff not a troll. Been here for going on a decade. Instead of name calling Ill just say that anyone who has seen more than one original sharps knows that wood has been cleaned and that cleaning the metal like was done did more damage yet. All the best and Im done with this as it could go on forever,

Zack

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - May 4th, 2019 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Not picking sides but in Zack's defense a many a dug relic from Civil War battlefields will bring, to my way of thinking, unbelieveable amounts of money while a pristine example of the same period pales in comparison. Could be that many of the Sharps investors hold to the same value standards.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #18 - May 5th, 2019 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
  Probably another $1000 down the drain. Grin

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - May 5th, 2019 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Grin that smug Yankee humor is funny regardless if its ignorant ! Grin Endearing too.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - May 5th, 2019 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Red rust is active rust; it's still causing damage and by no stretch can be called "patina".  Speaking as a restorationist and a professional appraiser, it seems to me that Schuetzendave did the right thing.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - May 5th, 2019 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I would agree regarding red active rust but would still argue that 1- too much cleaning was done as the gun looks like a bright shiny wreck or 2- if the gun was 100% active crawling red rust  the job was only half done and the gun was left looking bad after. Either case an amateurish job on a potentially rare gun.  Might as well dropped the thing in evaporust and rubbed it down with vans-probably would have looked better actually. I violated my own "im not going back tit for tat on this post forever" rule. Have a nice day all and keep the steel wool, pennies and blind enthusiasm off of old guns- and remember that people can disagree and call each other out without YELLING (dave)  or name calling (jeff) and no "Yankee" is not name calling I capitalized it  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - May 6th, 2019 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Dave- that barrel looks terrible. Im sorry it just does. It looks like a poorly cleaned gun. That grey is what I am referring to when I say "bright". A patinated gun or even a gun that was abused and rusted but continued to be used doesnt look like that. There are lots of other less aggressive ways of neutralizing active rust if the gun was truly 100% active red rust. When people replace parts on antique guns actively rusting the part is the first step in matching the patina. The way that gun was cleaned it screams from a mile away that the metal was cleaned. That gun gets listed by an auction house and the description will read rare 1869 sharps with highly desireable heavy barrel in .50cal. Condition: cleaned metal and wood- the "cleaned metal and wood" part is not a good thing. It is not like saying very clean 1955 Chevy Apache. With many antique firearms and Sharps in particular the metal and wood cleaning easily cut the value in half or more. The more pics that are sent and the more I look at them the more sad I feel that the rifle was damaged so.   I stand by everything I said previously.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2019 at 8:28am by Zack T »  

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - May 6th, 2019 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Right on Bill L about the red rust. 

Kudos to Dave and his friend for saving this great piece of firearm history. Bet she will speak again soon and we will get to see targets. Keep her on the range often, the patina will return naturally and we can enjoy hearing that big fifty roar for many more years unlike that stockless tent stake posted earlier.

Wink

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - May 6th, 2019 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Don- buy a shiloh if thats what you want. Forrest Fenn owns sitting bulls pipe but does he clean off the grime and smoke it ? Maybe you would so it wouldnt just be a tomato stake on the wall. The rusty exterior of the gun Dave killed wasnt keeping it from being shot. That attitude ruins so many artifacts of our past each day. Scares me.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - May 6th, 2019 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Zack T wrote on May 6th, 2019 at 9:54am:
Don- buy a shiloh if thats what you want. Forrest Fenn owns sitting bulls pipe but does he clean off the grime and smoke it ? Maybe you would so it wouldnt just be a tomato stake on the wall. The rusty exterior of the gun Dave killed wasnt keeping it from being shot. That attitude ruins so many artifacts of our past each day. Scares me.

This is a perfect example of why many people do not participate in these forums.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - May 6th, 2019 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
You know Zack I tried just what you suggest, I have Pope High Wall Schuetzen (last muzzle loading barrel Harry made) in my care and I would not trade one shot from that rifle for a 1000 shots from the modern High Wall I bought to take the pressure off the Pope. I do not shoot it often but I do shoot it occasionally to keep Harry from throwing a lightening bolt through my heart for not shooting it.

DP

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - May 6th, 2019 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Don1885, is your Pope High Wall the one he built for Lucian Carey and which, I think, was sold at Julia's 4-5 years ago?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - May 6th, 2019 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Yes it is Bill.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - May 6th, 2019 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
While we all regret mistakes made in attempt to restore or clean up a antique, it is really no one's business but that of the owner. Volunteer your opinion once. There isn't any point in arguing. I am fortunate to have a Pope Highwall, and I do shoot it.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint