Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another one off the list - M33 Swede (Read 5151 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Another one off the list - M33 Swede
Mar 16th, 2019 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Thanks to my support group I have another rifle checked off my list! Wink  It's not immaculate, the butt stock is fairly loose but a dab of glass can fix it, the bore has a couple of substantial craters and a few rough spots but it should shoot...
Didn't really know it was ever on my list until I saw it.  This M33 Swede happens to be a 9.3 x 57R and going back through the archives I found out several members here have one.  There wasn't a caliber marking on it but following Marlinguy's lead, I checked.  Bore slugged at .375 and it appears a 38-55 case shortened about a .100 is going to fit it perfect, - thanks Vall for that info.  It doesn't have any holes in the tang for a sight, but if I want to shoot it - the barrel sights on it aren't an option for me...  I just about finished a sight set for another rifle I'm building so it's off to the races again, not sure what these need to look like.  Huh
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

freebird

Re: Another one off the list - M33 Swede
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Excellent addition to the hoard, GT.
Been looking for one for several years, but I guess most must have crossed the pond as it is a rare sight in Europe nowadays...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 11:24am
Print Post  
I think the Type 33 is a very sleek, and neat version of the Rolling Block! And yours being likely the same caliber as mine with it's .375" bore makes it really easy to load for and shoot too!
That's a good looking half stock version, but as you mentioned the sights are really poor on these guns! I put an old Marbles Special Flexible Base tang sight on mine, along with a globe front. I had one for a Marlin repeater, so it's 1.125" spacing on my Type 33 now. The gun was always super accurate, but couldn't realize it until I changed sights. I love shooting mine now with better sights!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

freebird

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 12:58pm
Print Post  

here is a typical sight that Danes or Swedes would have used on a match (civilian) version of their rollers.
(This one is on a 9.3x57R 1867 Danish model modified for target shooting (that is still in the hands of its seller... I may need some help from my support group to have it imported...)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Nice, GT! What's your serial number so we can get a feel if the older rifles had the larger bores. Also when mounting your tang sight be sure to take into account that the tang has cast off.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
lookin for years, still can't find a 33, great find!

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Great looking rifle! Quite svelte! Like Elke Sommer! Have never found one, but remember one like it graced the fireplace mantle in my grandad's house in Winnipeg. It went to the guy who sold the house for the estate when he died. My dad thought it would be illegal to bring back to the states, so, oh well. Lucky find for you though! Keep us posted about it, I'm curious about the sighting system you come up with for it.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys, the serial number is 31XXX .   I hope to spend a little time with this and a couple more providing work load and weather cooperate.  I've got to run a bore scope down this thing, patching there looks to be an issue 12" from the chamber.  Maybe in the morning...
Greg

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Well that shoots down the theory that 22xxx and above were real 9.3s at .366. I guess we are back to the factory refreshed barrel theory. How lucky am I that my two 33s which I wanted to be .366 to match my Husky 17 really were?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 11:50am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 12:08am:
Well that shoots down the theory that 22xxx and above were real 9.3s at .366. I guess we are back to the factory refreshed barrel theory. How lucky am I that my two 33s which I wanted to be .366 to match my Husky 17 really were?

Chauncey,
Since one of the calibers listed for the Type 33 is 9.5x47R, it would seem that's what the larger diameter bore is on the Type 33 that is .375" groove. 9.5mm to inches is .374" approx. and 47mm is about 1.85" long. Both dimensions fit the 33's with larger bores fairly close.
I don't think they are re-rifled, but rather just the larger bore 9.5mm.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
I thought the 9.5x47R was a bottleneck case? GP, is your chamber closer to 47mm than 57mm and it is for a straight case? Here's a link with pics of the 9.5x47R: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
The mention of a 33 hanging over the fireplace in Canada - what about a special order shipment of 38-55s to North America?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Right you are Chauncey! I wasn't aware the 9.5x47R was a bottleneck. So it remains a mystery why some of these have larger .375" bores I guess.
Wonder if it might be some factory mix up where the larger 9.5" barrels got the smaller 9.3 chambers? Can't imagine so many being worn out and sent back to be re-rifled to the larger bore?

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Since they were already making the .375 barrels it would seem chambering them for 38-55 for a relatively large volume special overseas order would have been easy. Getting accurate chamber length measurements from those with the .375 rifles would tell the tale. I just ran an experiment. An empty 38-55 case will easily fit in a 9.3x57R chamber but an empty 9.3 case will stop about a quarter inch out of a 38-55 chamber. Loaded ones won't fit either way.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
.38-55 cases wont chamber in my type 33 Chauncey. I was told mine was a .38-55 when I bought it, but the seller said that because he got it with .38-55 brass. When I did a chamber cast it was shorter, and a .38-55 original 2.125" length case wouldn't fit. I could almost chamber one of the newer short cases, and a .375 case almost fit too, but needed trimming.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
I scrubbed the bore a little and used my cheapo bore scope on it.  There's a little corrosion in the throat area and some substantial about 12" down the barrel.  Not planning anything until it gets shot a little, then maybe a little work with some JB's.
We've all had some rifles that shot well even when the bore looked bad.  Smiley

Sorry Freebird and Rebel, it's not bad enough that I'd just hand it off to you and save me the misery... Grin Grin
Greg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint