Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 25-25 Stevens (Read 3645 times)
XLIV

25-25 Stevens
Mar 8th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Picked up a Stevens in 25-25 with a Sidle scope. Someone really loved this rifle, very clean and shiney bore. Probably an east coast shooter. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Can anyone tell me anything about rifle or scope?

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 25-25 Stevens
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
I don't know much about the scope. Someone here does. rifle is a Tip Up made before 1900. The 44 came next and the 44 1/2 after that. Fine with black powder or black powder equilivent loads. not a particularly strong action.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 6:41am
Print Post  
John W. Sidle of Philadelphia was credited by many of his contemporaries as making the finest scopes of his day, and one of those contemporaries was Harry Pope, who even tried for a brief time to partner with him.  Also, because I had a high-power Sidle on a Schoyen Sharps years ago as well as more "modern" vintage scopes on other rifles, I can personally attest that they are indeed very fine sights.  Enjoy yours.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

XLIV

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info guys. The optics are still very clear and cross hairs intact. Looks better than a litschert I have. Searched the net fir brass, only one I could find was Buffalo Arms. They are two miles down the road from me so I drove down and they let me chamber a round. Probably first in a long time for this old gal. New Bertram brass $4 ea and loaded BP $7ea. Might have to sell it. 
Thanks again

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Unfortunately the Stevens .25-25 is one of their proprietary cartridges that has no modern brass it can be made from easily. So if you want to shoot it, I'd contact Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co. and have them make you up some lathe turned brass. I personally wouldn't waste my money with Bertram brass.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Too bad you are down in the US and I'm up in Canada ... I have 50 rounds of WRA .25-25 Stevens brass that I just bought in an online auction.  Of course if I tried to ship them acrross the border to you we would both be branded as "terrorists" under current ITAR regulations and all of the bells and flashing lights would go off at US Customs when they checked the contents of the parcel.  Sigh ... those ITAR regulations are such complete and total stupidity when it comes to dealing with vintage, obsolete brass such as these.
Embarrassed
Maybe you can find some brass someplace and get the old girl talking again.  Somebody on here (in the US) must have a few rounds that they could sell you?  You'd only need a handful.  And I completely agree with the comments about Bertram brass.  With all of the trouble I've had with their brass in various obsolete calibres I consider it a LAST resort too.
Good luck with the project,
Al

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
(Obligitory "teaser" photo of said .25-25 brass... just need a trip through my ss pin wet tumbler to clean them up ...)

Embarrassed

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

XLIV

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
I'm 30 min from the border..as far as I know there aint no 'wall' yet... tks for the teaser

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
XLIV wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 2:34pm:
I'm 30 min from the border..as far as I know there aint no 'wall' yet... tks for the teaser

Heck, just drive over the border and buy them! No rule against taking them across the border is there?

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Well, there is no regulation up here in Canada regarding my selling them to anyone (in Canada loaded ammunition requires a PAL firearms licence for purchase, but not components).  When you returned to the US if you actually declared them I don't know what the response would be?  Technically (to my knowledge) if you are importing any rifle components into the US including rifle brass you are SUPPOSED to have an import permit.  Don't know if they would say anything or not, or if they would just say "Have a nice day and carry on home ..."
Your call if you feel like taking a drive up to beautiful Victoria,  B.C. sometime?
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
(And in the meantime I can run them through my ss pin tumbler and see how they clean up.  There is some black powder corrosion on a few of them.)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Just having the opportunity to purchase that much 25-25 Brass is just something that will not come along very often during ones life. Hope it will some how work out for you to be able to get it into your hands and wish you the best.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
If you're thinking that Canada is the only place that has 25-25, well it just taint' true.    Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
If you decide to sell it, post it here please.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 12:01am
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 10:47pm:
If you decide to sell it, post it here please.

Slumlord44,
It's for my 044 1/2 barrel in 25-25.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint