Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens Countertop Display Poster (Read 5381 times)
ACGould

Stevens Countertop Display Poster
Mar 3rd, 2019 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Dated 1941 showing that Savage/Stevens retained some memory of the Stevens heritage.  Bottom folds out to support a rifle.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Stevens Countertop Display Poster
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Very cool! Love to see they recalled the Stevens roots in that display!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
ACGould
Nice item. Not many things of that sort have survived the years.
An associated story:
The target held by the central figure is a simplified version of an old full color advertising poster for Stevens-Pope rifle barrels from about 1901. The German ring target shows the record of 2238 for 100 shots set by Fred Ross at Greenville, NJ Schuetzen Park in 1901 with a Stevens-Pope rifle. Both Ross and Pope were working for Stevens at that time.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
RSW wrote on Mar 3rd, 2019 at 9:43pm:
ACGould
Nice item. Not many things of that sort have survived the years.
An associated story:
The target held by the central figure is a simplified version of an old full color advertising poster for Stevens-Pope rifle barrels from about 1901. The German ring target shows the record of 2238 for 100 shots set by Fred Ross at Greenville, NJ Schuetzen Park in 1901 with a Stevens-Pope rifle. Both Ross and Pope were working for Stevens at that time.

Is there a reprint of this I could buy to frame?

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

ACGould

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
I  bought it many years ago from a quitting business sale at an old gun shop in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I prowl around eBay on a regular basis and, until a few years ago, atended many gun shows but I have never seen another.
Leon

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 12:36am
Print Post  
830singleshot
There is no reproduction of that poster I am aware of. All I have ever seen is a photo of an original.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Savage-Stevens posters, counter displays, and other such  point-of-sales pieces are rare enough; those from Stevens independent "glory days" are almost unheard of.

That being said, it might be possible to have this later counter display reproduced in very high quality.  The man's name is Jeffrey Johnson; he lives in Muncie, Indiana; he sells on eBay as big-jeff; his business is making and selling high-quality gun- and gunpowder-related POS reproductions. 

It's is my understanding that while he prefers to own the original, he will also work with loaners under the provision that he can add them to his ever-growing product line.  He does nothing to the original other than scan it.  He then restores the scanned image and prints copies.  If the item was originally a flat or 3-D die-cut, he mounts the prints on appropriate backing, trims the result exactly as it was originally, and adds reproduction hangers or folding "easel legs" as needed.  In short, when he's done, what he sells is as close to the "minty" original as you could hope for.

Last, I have no connection with Mr. Johnson other than being his very satisfied customer and no stake in his business whatsoever.  Indeed, he likely wouldn't even recognize my name.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Bill, what makes his products "POS"? It sounds like he's doing a good job from your description?

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Vall
No offense intended. I think he is using the Point Of Sale definition for POS rather than the much more familiar Piece Of Sh....  Wink

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 11:38am
Print Post  
RSW wrote on Mar 4th, 2019 at 11:23am:
Vall
No offense intended. I think he is using the Point Of Sale definition for POS rather than the much more familiar Piece Of Sh....  Wink

Thanks Randy! Hadn't seen that used as "point of sale".

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Randy beat me to it, Vall.  However, this also points out one of my strongest reasons seldom using abbreviations or acronyms, beloved as they are by today's electronically-addicted "communicators".

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 4th, 2019 at 10:22am:
In short, when he's done, what he sells is as close to the "minty" original as you could hope for.

Are they identified, however inconspicuously, as repros?  Of course, no one could mistake a "minty" repro as original, but the fakers have developed sophisticated techniques for artificially aging almost any kind of repro product.

There's a flood of faked factory literature, hang-tags, boxes, etc., being sold on ebay.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
He didn't used to, Red.  Instead, he relied primarily on the the larger originals being lithographed and therefore having colors that remain solid under magnification, while his colors, though the dots and dashes were very tiny, did not.

But as you say, many fakers are very good and getting better.  Moreover, as I found out when I discovered guns I'd restored - and marked - being sold as originals, many people see what they want to see as they pull out their wallets.

That being said, nowadays Jeff may well be taking precautions against being accused of perpetrating fraud; but if so, you'd have to ask him what he does.

Me?  I'm just going to enjoy the results of his skill and passion.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I for one would be interested in a reproduction of this.

IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Bill,
Thanks for pointing out the ebay seller "big-jeff".  He has several pieces I will be buying from him.
ACGould,
Thanks so much for sharing this.  When I examine the picture carefully, there is much more to see.  It ties everything together for Savage from the glory days of schuetzen to the boy's rifles they were building at this time.  It looks to me like the schuetzen shooter is on a separate piece of cardboard and stands out slightly in front of the boys in the background.  It also appears that it was designed to display a rifle.
If a reproduction of this was made available, I have a favorite I would restore just to display on this!!!  Count me in as being at the front of the line
Randy,
If you run across the picture of the 1901 Stevens color poster, please post it here.  I would love to see that as well.

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint