Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Do Ballards really add 10 years to your life? (Read 12879 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Do Ballards really add 10 years to your life?
Reply #45 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 10:18am
Print Post  
A shotgun buttplate on a Pacific is pretty rare variation Chris! See them on Midrange #4 1/2 and Longrange #7, but not often on a Pacific.
Was it smooth steel, hard rubber, or checkered steel? If it was smooth steel Marlin used Model 1881 Marlin buttplates for the smooth steel.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Rex N

Reply #46 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
I only bought a frame but the breach block from my 40-85 pacific fits perfectly so I am using it until I find another or make one.  I loaded up 50 rounds this morning and it is up to -8 now so I think I will give it a try.  I almost put a shot gun buttplate on this one but the plank had some serious knots to work around and I couldn’t get things lined up for a shotgun butt plate.  Hopefully in 38-55 it will be okay.  My 40-85 pacific has a crescent plate and you don’t shoot it often without a slip on recoil pad.  I had the bruises to prove the point.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 10:18am:
A shotgun buttplate on a Pacific is pretty rare variation Chris! See them on Midrange #4 1/2 and Longrange #7, but not often on a Pacific.
Was it smooth steel, hard rubber, or checkered steel? If it was smooth steel Marlin used Model 1881 Marlin buttplates for the smooth steel.

Val it was the hard rubber buttplate.  I bought the rifle from a place in Ontario that was selling part of a collection of rifles owned by a guy named Ted Girodat who was a gunsmith and collector of single shots.  He seemed to like unusual rifles.  I still have two of his highwalls.   

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Val I found a couple of pictures of my old rifle:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Chris.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Does anybody make an insert for the lever that is shown on Chris's rifle like the Shuttleworth/Stevens rifles or do you have to make them yourself?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #50 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 2:00pm:
Does anybody make an insert for the lever that is shown on Chris's rifle like the Shuttleworth/Stevens rifles or do you have to make them yourself?

If you mean the wooden "ball" that fills the ring on the Pacific, then the answer is nobody makes one. If they did, it would need to be just a close fit, as they were hand finished, and not all exactly alike. I've made a few from scrap walnut, and they're not too hard to make. Even a amateur with wood llike me can make them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Rex N

Reply #51 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I shot my new Ballard today, it warmed up to -15 with the windchill so it was cool on my fingers and then some.  I only shot light loads of Unique 8.8 gr under a 250 gr lee bullet but it shoots really well.  I think this could easily become my favourite rifle.  I am looking forward to some warmer weather and full charges of black under a 330 gr bullet.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 4:04am
Print Post  
do you feel any younger?

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Rex N

Reply #53 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Much younger and preserved by the freezing.  I think it is the shooting of a ballard that makes us younger, we just need to shoot more to find the fountain of youth.

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #54 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Rex N wrote on Mar 10th, 2019 at 8:38am:
Much younger and preserved by the freezing.  I think it is the shooting of a ballard that makes us younger, we just need to shoot more to find the fountain of youth.

^^^^^^ WHAT HE SAID! ^^^^^^

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 11:21am
Print Post  
OK!!!  I just needed some motivation, I'll finish the extractor on mine! Put on the snow shoes and go to my range- I need something that makes feel younger today...  Grin

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint