Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Do Ballards really add 10 years to your life? (Read 12906 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Do Ballards really add 10 years to your life?
Reply #30 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I am no threat I am with DWT1885 he has his priorities set on the right track.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #31 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Dale definitely is a dedicated 1885 guy. But I hear an occasional Hepburn slips past those 1885 doors too!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 10:40am
Print Post  
I actually like them all Vall and it's actually quite hard to find one not to like.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #33 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 11:16am
Print Post  
From a historical standpoint I like them all too. But there are some I've never had a desire to own personally. But I wont name names as I know I'm likely in the minority in my feelings about some of them.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
What I truly enjoy seeing and hearing is all of the individual tastes. And like you there are several I would not care to own but they are all indeed very charming and beautiful by there own unique and individual designs. 

IP Logged

August West
Participating Member

Reply #35 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I would care to own any rifle I found very charming and beautiful by there own unique and individual designs. 
And I'm not afraid to say it.

Nick

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I'll know it when I see it - and may have to live ten years longer to pay for it!

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Well I own three Ballards. Only one is functional, it is a 61/2 Schuetzen with a Barrel by A.Elliot of Fall River Mass. The other is a Rigby that came to me as an empty Reciever, got an original Rigby 38-55 Barrel from Green Frog, have 
acquired a Breech block, am looking for wood. As I can not be trusted around Wood. It burns too easy. The third is .22 action that is complete and is the one with a Etched Engraving pattern on the Sides. Between these I am doomed to live to 107 Yrs. Not sure I want to, will have to start selling this stuff off. FITZ. OLD TUCK Smiley

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Always interesting and fun projects. If you regularly play with barrel length damascus, you could consider an upright pvc tank. I know of a few of them setup, takes very little surface area, and with a slip fit cap, ready to go at any time. I'm only wondering out loud, but maybe the breech end of a damascus barrel could be heated in a forge and flared on a mandrel to follow the contour right up to the face of the action. Sorry to drift off topic, but thanks again for showing your projects.

IP Logged

hornet

Reply #39 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Don't own Ballard YET but low walls high walls J STEVENS keep me looking yes SINGLE SHOTS keep me young  wish i knew how post photos  Max Grin

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Craig,
I had considered placing a flange of some kind on the tube and use the PVC standing up right, still may make one.  As for swaging or flaring the barrel... I may do that, thanks for the idea.  I have 5 more Damascus tubes to experiment with.   

If anyone plans to dabble in this, I learned a few do's and don't but for the most part it's similar to stuffing a liner in a barrel - only in reverse.  If you use a shotgun barrel, cut the choked area off before trying to figure length of barrel you're messing with.  Same with the chamber end, don't go thinking you'll fit the liner to it, more hassle than it's worth.  My barrel length ended up finishing at 26".   And finally, when I do the next one, I'll use acraglas or loctite - I tinned this one, it worked but it's considerable effort and not really needed.

There's a couple more things about this 22 project that I haven't mentioned yet, I'll have a little more to report on after some range time with it.  Roll Eyes

Hopefully I've added yet another 10 years, should be a Ballard showing up tonight or tomorrow.   Cheesy

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I added another ten years tonight!  The guy said he did a chamber cast and the dimensions he was giving came out close to a 38-56.  When it showed up I gave the bore a little cleaning and dropped that cartridge in it, it is!  It's a cast action which makes me nervous so I'm very doubtful I'll ever shoot that cartridge in it.  It has been shot a lot, it locks up tight and from looking at the face of the breech block, wear indicates that was the cartridge.  The bore slugged .375 - there's a little pitting but the rifling is pronounced.  Numbers all match and that's the part that intrigued me - X777.  I think I have another makings of a 22, happen to have a Crossno style liner assembly I made that will drop in... and it is a dual firing pin breech.  Smiley  Another extractor of sorts, Hmmm.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #42 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 12:39am
Print Post  
If it's numbers matching, then it likely was either a .38 Long rechambered to .38-56, or a .32 Long rebored, and chambered in .38-56. Either way, as you say I'd never shoot it, even with lighter loads.
Might be a good candidate to sleeve the chamber, and then reline it to a smaller caliber.

IP Logged

Rex N

Reply #43 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 12:18am
Print Post  
I built a Ballard from a rusty chewed up but forged frame picked up at a gun show.  It now has a barrel made from aTJ liner in 38-55 and DOM tubing. If it ever warms up I am anxious to go try this out.  They are predicting above zero weather later this week so there may be hope.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Rex that is really nice!    I once owned a Ballard Pacific that was pretty interesting.  It was a light weight barrel in .40-85 with a shotgun buttplate.   I bought it sight unseen from a dealer in Ontario Canada.  The bore was rated good and I asked them to have a good look at it before I completed the purchase.  When I got it, it was clear that the bore was good because it had been relined Smiley, but the chamber had a large bulge.   I ended up selling it off, but I probably should have kept it. 

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint