Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Another No. 1V (Read 2476 times)
bg7m

Another No. 1V
Feb 22nd, 2019 at 5:04am
Print Post  
Picked up a Ruger No. 1V in 25-06    Has a couple dents on butt stock but really like the walnut. Sure like the No. 1's

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Re: Another No. 1V
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Ruger used very high quality on the buttstock of their No.1 rifles ... especially the early ones.

Nicely done on the new addition.

Joe

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Indeed they did use good wood Joe Do and the checkering was also hand cut.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
My hunting partner used an identical 1V in 25-06 to kill a nice mule deer buck in 1992.  I was really impressed with the rifle and its performance except for the fact that it was so heavy to pack around the mountains of Idaho.  That spring I found a Browning B-78 in 25-06 with the lighter weight octagon barrel and got hooked on hunting with single shot rifles.  I have a 1V in 223 and a custom #3 in 7mm Krag Improved so Ruger is represented in my collection of single shots.  Your rifle sure has nice wood like the early models had!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

bg7m

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Bulseyetom wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:06pm:
My hunting partner used an identical 1V in 25-06 to kill a nice mule deer buck in 1992.  I was really impressed with the rifle and its performance except for the fact that it was so heavy to pack around the mountains of Idaho.  That spring I found a Browning B-78 in 25-06 with the lighter weight octagon barrel and got hooked on hunting with single shot rifles.  I have a 1V in 223 and a custom #3 in 7mm Krag Improved so Ruger is represented in my collection of single shots.  Your rifle sure has nice wood like the early models had!  Tom 

I have a Browning 78, 1973 year with octagon barrel in 25-06 also. Good shooter

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle.  I always liked #1s but never quite knew what I would use one for  Undecided  I was tempted to buy their LR model, but it really was a collector/show piece, not a LR shooter. 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
I have a  1982 vintage 1V in 25-06,  was a birthday gift. Harvested several Kansas white tail with it & a Wyoming pronghorn in 1985.
Don’t shoot it much anymore. It has never had a factory round run thru it. My favorite load is Rem. brass, 56gr 4831, & 117 gr Hornaday seated just short of the rifling, Federal BR primers.
I never felt at a disadvantage useing a single shot, of course I have never hunted dangerous game. It will shoot 5 shots at a 100 yards you can cover with a quarter. Enjoy.
Mike

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
What's really quite sad is the majority of all the new firearms are now using synthetic or laminated wood stocks in lieu of having nice wood. The caring of the wood through out all of it's years of use it what provides one the pride of ownership and one the ability to hand it down to the upcoming generations just as my Father also did for me.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
John, most of my rifles have nice wood but the first rifle I ever bought new looks like I drug it 2000 miles.  It is a Model 70 in 270 that I bought myself for a graduation present from Fresno State in 1973.  For years it was my only rifle and was used for shooting ground squirrels to deer.  I hunted the forest land here on the coast for 25 years with that rifle and it must have logged at least 3000 hours in a saddle scabbard.  I lost it once as I had a deer tied on the saddle and was leading my horse back to the trailhead and it slipped out of the scabbard on the steep downhill trail.  I had to backtrack several hundred yards to find it!  A few years ago I decided to restore the stock but looking at all of the gouges from riding through thick brush and scrub oaks had done its toll and I broke down and put on a synthetic stock.  The metal finish is not too bad and the bore is pristine as I cleaned it after every use.  I figure the rifle has around 3500 rounds and it has lost some accuracy but I found it was still under moa with the 110 grain Barnes copper bullets that we have to use.  The rifle is a lot like me, not near as good looking as it or I was in 1973!   Grin  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I had myself a brand new Ruger 77 25-06 with the 24 inch medium size barrel with a brand new Balvar 2.5 to 8. Coming down a slide from 10'000 feet while headed down to a Buck that I just shot. When very suddenly out from under me went my feet and it put a nice dent in that brand new scope that I had just got. Didn't hurt the stock all that much but it was now broken in to say the least along with a good story to tell when asked about the dent in the scope. When I shot that Buck he was headed in hurry to the east and the bullet went over the ear facing me without touching it and into the center of his head it was that steep.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint