Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) One followed me home (Read 7937 times)
John Boy
Ex Member

Re: One followed me home
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Lucky You -Great Find and with an original Beach Combination foresight

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2019 at 1:05am
Print Post  
I tried to finish a replacement sight for this acquisition over the weekend but best laid plans...  have to talk to that boss of mine  Wink   
Attached a few pictures of the project, with any luck I'll finish it before the shooting season begins - outside now - I don't think it's ever going to get here.   Sad Sad

It's my version of Farrow's sight, from 10 feet away it resembles one... somewhat... Huh

Like many of my sights, things change a lot as I progressed - the ball on the end of the screw will be modified so it doesn't turn, but allows oscillation.  If you notice the screws, the bottom is LH and the upper is RH so it operates like a turn buckle permitting extension.  For the detent, I plan to copy the spring method like the sight on a Phoenix a while back.

Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Feb 18th, 2019 at 11:40am
Print Post  
As usual a spectacular tang sight Greg! How will you match the Farrow's tang contour? By hand fitting, or ???

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2019 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I made a tracing attachment for the mill but by the time I get it in and set up lamp black and a file is about as fast.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2019 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
I believe the front sight is a lyman copy of a beach's front sight. It is a Lyman No. 5 if I am not mistaken. The Beach front sight ring, if you will, was gold washed, and to my eye, a little more elegant in the way it was shaped.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Feb 18th, 2019 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Greg, very nice. What sight picture is in the background? If I get to PO tomorrow I will mail the spring winder. I tried it out and made several so it works.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Rodney, I think that is the picture you posted of a sight on a Phoenix a while ago, a Carver I think.  I started one for my Phoenix as per this photo but I never finished it and this Farrow has interrupted my plans...   I printed it off to get the idea for the (detent) spring, still haven't done one yet, got distracted making eyepieces this evening.
Here's the picture and of the fruits of my labor this evening...

You use music wire for the springs don't you? not sure I have the right diameter but there's a couple rolls around here somewhere. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Greg,
  I thought it might be a Carver. That was shared by another fellow . The music wire needs to be .055 I get the 12” lengths from MSC . I tried .062 and it will work but is more difficult to in stall in the Breech block, any way .055 was per the original.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 8:48am
Print Post  
The Damascus looks great! Nice contrast......

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Skalkaho wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 8:48am:
The Damascus looks great! Nice contrast......

Thanks, 
One eye piece I got right side up when I formed the dish the other I must have been dozing... the figure isn't in the cup it's on the back- not that it matters that much but I notice out in bright daylight cross lines in the cup give me clearer picture than none or circles- may be a mental thing too.   I have found about 3 eye pieces out of about 20 that I really like... need to try these.   
Maybe somebody that knows more than I will comment?

Rodney,
There was an outfit here that works on pianos and they had spring wire by the spools- we use to use it for an alignment method on some equipment I'll see if they are still around and what sizes they have.  I made some interesting compression springs with it once.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #25 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:56am
Print Post  
We have a local high end hardware store that sells piano wire in 1 pound boxes. It was just under $5 per 1/4 pound the last two rolls of .045" and .055" that I bought last time.
The maker is:

Malin Co.
5400 Smith Road
Brook Park, Oh. 44142

216-276-9080
Email: MALINCO@SPRYNET.COM

Might contact them if you need wire and maybe they'll sell direct, or tell you who has it in your area?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 10:53am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Feb 18th, 2019 at 1:10pm:
I believe the front sight is a lyman copy of a beach's front sight. It is a Lyman No. 5 if I am not mistaken.  

You are not mistaken, the first variant #5, as indicated by the shape of the ivory bead; later, 5A & 5B variants were added, differing in the shape of the post or bead.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks Redsetter, you made my day. At my age one begins to question their recall abilities. I am having an early 1894 Favorite built for my first and probably only grandson for his first birhday, and it will have a Beach's front sight and Lyman #2 tang sight. Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys! I go mostly by design in my name calling so clarity is nice. (still call an adjustable wrench a crescent)
When somebody in later years stumbles across one of my sights that has a Robbins style base and a Sharps upper, a Carver detent, but everything is just tad bit off, I'll chuckle.

Vall,
Thanks for the info.  I did find a few rolls I had stashed - there was a .055" roll - brand was Roslau so it should be good.  I'll soon have another diversion in the mix  Grin

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
GT wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 1:07pm:
(still call an adjustable wrench a crescent)

Well, if you can get away with that, guess it's not too bad that I still call a pipe wrench a Stillson.  The one I sometimes used in my youthful days in the oil patch was a 48-incher.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint