Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) One followed me home (Read 7929 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

One followed me home
Feb 11th, 2019 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
There's a few items a person finds now and then that cause internal unrest and butterflies - I found one of them.  I now have another part time job as another piece of history followed me home this last weekend.  As we say - we purchase these firearms and we think we own them, we are just the caretakers and guardians of these items for a duration in time.

I stumbled on a Farrow rifle at the Sioux Falls gun show this last weekend.  Thought I'd share a picture or two of it - the rifle appears to be a 32-40, I haven't done a chamber cast nor have I slugged the bore to check size yet - a sized 32-40 brass fit and it popped a primer with fairly well centered strike.  It is a 14 groove and appears to be a gain twist - the bore appears to be pristine.  The tang area of the frame has a minute crack coming in from each side but the rest appears solid.  The rear sight appears to be a Ballard and it's loose in the base, the rear mount has a shim under it  and brings the staff to the right vertical position, so it's not originally cut to fit this tang.   The front sight is a Beech with an ivory bead attached.  The serial number on the face of the action is... 100.   

I will shoot this rifle but I will take care of it also so that maybe others can enjoy it later in time.  I was informed that there may be some provenance that goes with this gun is one of James Grants books, I thought I had all of Grants books and I scoured what I have.  I do not have book number five, Single Shot Rifles Finale.  If someone has this book, would you check and see if there is any mention of this and send me a PM.
Regards,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Re: One followed me home
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Nice find!  That is a beauty ...

Cheesy

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

rglenz
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
I'm glad you bought it! I looked it over and was very tempted.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Nice pickup. Let us hear how it shoots when you get to that part. Did I say, nice pickup?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Very Very Nice! Congratulations the Farrows are not easy to come by and I have always had a soft spot for them and you have found a very charming one. Congratulations again and please let us know how it shoots if and when you have the time.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Any Farrow is a great buy! That one appears to be a pretty nice specimen, and a great find!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
GT, congrats. RGlenz and I looked it over closely and as Rick says it was tempting. Hope you enjoy it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
You should send that poor fitting tang sight to me Greg! I'm sure you can make something much nicer, that fits much better! Wink

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 11th, 2019 at 8:27pm:
You should send that poor fitting tang sight to me Greg! I'm sure you can make something much nicer, that fits much better! Wink

I was thinking about that but I have a Ballard that needs one too.  Grin   
Was looking for the Farrow copy I made a couple years ago, can't remember what I put it on and it's not showing up in all the places I'm looking- need to quit looking in the same places hoping for different results too - ever have that problem?  Angry

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
I looked in the the finale book by James grant. No Farrow like yours. At one time I had collected info on 26 different Farrows, and owned 2 at one time. I will see if I can find the data, it seems like I had #100 in my list. As you examine it I think you can see that he was a watchmaker-jeweler, some of small parts that he used.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Very interesting Farrow, Greg. Different from most of the pictures I have seen.
Have a lot of questions about how it works. Very nice acquisition.
Chuck

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 10:53am
Print Post  
The wear on that forearm wood really tells a story of how it was used and carried for many years! I love the character that gun has!

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Rodney, if you have anything in your notes that would really be appreciated!  and yes with the way this thing works and the intricacy of how everything goes together it is easy to believe that the stories about Farrow being a watchmaker/jeweler in his early life.   
Chuck, I intend to get a few measurements and compare them to some of my drawings and the ones I currently have in process.  It'll be interesting to compare notes with you on the one you built.

Vall, if only these things could talk... The barrel right in front of the action has a dovetail cut in it and the fore end has a slot in the same place like there was a palm rest of sorts there originally.

Regards,
Greg

And to my support group out there when I first discovered this - A BIG THANK YOU!

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 10:39am
Print Post  
How many Grooves? I've seen two one had 12 and one 16.

40 Rod

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
40_Rod,
I finally did a quick slug of the first 4 inches, I didn't have anything on the bench that fit the bore nice so I quickly bumped up a .316 slug of some sorts and drove it in.  I'll do a little more thorough job of it later but initial dimensions are:  .325" major diameter???? and groove of .320" and it is 14 groove.

Upon closer examination of the slug,(under a scope) it wasn't bumped up enough for the major OD - there's insignificant OD rubbing. 

Greg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint