Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Maynard 1873 Model #8 2 barrel set w/ box (Read 19628 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Re: Maynard 1873 Model #8 2 barrel set w/ box
Reply #30 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Haven't received the thick rim adaptors yet to fit the 20 gauge Magtech brass cases to the chamber, plus I'm also waiting for some 17 and 18 gauge Circle Fly wads to load in these thin wall brass shotshell cases.  I will likely start out with a light charge of smokeless powder over the primer (as a "kicker / cleaner" to help keep the brass and bore cleaner) and then load the balance with black powder under about 3/4 oz of shot.  (Probably about 60 grains of BP to start and work up?)  I have lots of options for the "kicker" charge including Green Dot, Unique, and Herco, which I think are in the right burning range for the job, but again I'm not trying enhance performance at all I'm just trying to keep things a bit cleaner.  If things go well I'll increase the shot charge to 13/16 oz and then 7/8 oz.
I'll keep you posted as things progress ...
(Also in the process of buying a proper size and weight of bullet mould for the .35-30 barrel.)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #31 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Things are slowly coming together.  Received the brass adaptor rings for the .64 smoothbore (will be fitted to 20 gauge Magtech brass hulls), some more for my .40-60 and .40-70 Maynards, and some for the .35-30's.  Also received the Ideal #36275 160 grain bullet mould for the .35-30.  Just need the 17 and 18 gauge Circle Fly wads for the .64 SB hulls and some time to put all of this stuff to use!  (We have family out visiting from Manitoba that are staying with us and they don't leave until the 19th.)
Our weather out here has been terrible this year with a couple of dumps of very non-typical Victoria snow which thank goodness has now melted off in town, but we still have a foot or more of snow on the ground up at our local range.  I'm hoping by the time our visitors fly back home the conditions will have improved enough to finally get these Maynards up to the range and fire some test loads.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

70worm

Reply #32 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
That's ridiculos cool!

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #33 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 9:39am
Print Post  
I keep coming back for another look!
The wood that was used in this buttstock is particularly nice.

By the way....I've noted that some 1873s have stocks with a comb raised above the upper tang and others have no raised comb like this example. I wonder why, and what was the reasoning behind that....? I don't have a no-comb version to compare drop dimensions between the two.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Just a guess about the comb height. The straight comb may have been designated when the gun was shipped with a shotgun barrel, so that the user could get their line of sight down on the bead?

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 6:16am
Print Post  
The ones with no comb used left over military carbine stocks. In about May 1875 the stock with the comb was introduced. It was merely the carbine stock shortened about an inch on the front and reshaped. This can be seen easily as the screw holes from when they were carbine stocks are still present.

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #36 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Apr 14th, 2019 at 6:16am:
The ones with no comb used left over military carbine stocks. In about May 1875 the stock with the comb was introduced. It was merely the carbine stock shortened about an inch on the front and reshaped. This can be seen easily as the screw holes from when they were carbine stocks are still present.

Thank you, John!
So a standard "no comb" carbine stock would have a LOP of ~14 7/8" as opposed to the later, shortened "comb" stocks with a LOP of ~13 7/8"? That extra inch would personally serve me better.

I pulled off my "comb" stock....and there are the extra holes hidden under the tangs! At some time in the past I recall wondering about those extra holes....but blew it off. Thanks again for solving that mystery.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
When they made the change in the stocks the upper tang was straightened more or less parallel with the lower tang. The difference in the stocks is striking enough that it is hard to believe that's what they did but the extra holes are the tell tale truth.

The pistol grip stocks were new made and they are interesting in themselves as the lower tang  goes entirely through the pistol grip. This was accomplished by gluing an insert in place that is the width of the tang and shaping it with the stock. Many times this is hard to distinguish as the workmasnship was so good.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:23am
Print Post  
Wet and miserable outside today so I finally fired up the casting pot and tried out this .368" mould for the .35-30 Maynard.  Nice mould ... it only took about 5 or 6 bullets to warm up and start casting good looking bullets!

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #39 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 4:15pm:
Careful!  If the Maynard bug bites you there'll be no turning back!

Wink

That bug bit me hard.  I was at an auction (to buy a Ballard, Vall) and had a little of my budget left over.  I bought a #9 configuration Maynard 1873 in 40-40 caliber.  Then I picked up an orphan 64 smoothbore barrel at the same auction.  BTW, mine has the other sporter style stock.

I went to a Spring Nationals of the North-South Skirmish Association to meet Larry Romano  for a couple of small parts I needed and saw how much fun those guys in gray and blue outfits were having... and that cost me a pile of money when I joined in on that game.  I also met Deadeye Bly there and got rings so I could convert 30-40 brass to  shoot it.  I also got Barry Darr to cut me bullet moulds for the two bullets the catalog shows for the 40s.

Unwilling to leave well enough alone I talked Deadeye Bly into making me rings to convert Brazilian brass 20 ga shells to fit the 64 cal barrel... that project is still waiting for some time on my workbench.  Finally I swapped another member here out of a 22 rf barrel that Deadeye (again!  Roll Eyes) had built to fit directly on an 1873 with no mods, so now I have a 3 barrel set.   

"Oh what tangled webs we weave..."  Smiley

Froggie 

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 5:19am
Print Post  
Let me know if you finally get around to forming the 20 gauge brass Mag Tech cases to fit your .64 smoothbore barrel, I'd be interested to hear how you make out.  I bought some of the same adaptor rings and a box of 20 gauge Mag Tech brass hulls for my 2 barrel Maynard (.64 smoothbore and .35-30 Maynard 1873), but unfortunately very poor health lately has put me even further behind schedule on a number of my projects.  I found that the Mag Tech brass was too large to chamber in my .64 SB Maynard barrel and will need to be reduced in diameter at the base.  The same with the .35-30's ... .30-30 cases are too large in diameter at the base to chamber in my rifle and will also need to be reduced a bit.

IP Logged

cdnrokon

Reply #41 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 9:41am
Print Post  
RIP Al your knowledge of single shots will be missed

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 10:12am
Print Post  
It sounds ominous, I hope things are not as they seem.

IP Logged

cdnrokon

Reply #43 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
I was passing this on to the ASSRA forum as I can not find a memorial column on this forum . On (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) forum there is a memorial column and Reverend Al passed on 
June 7/2020 wealth of knowledge, fine collector, and lover of single shots

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2020 at 2:03pm by cdnrokon »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Damn that news is hard for me to swallow and there are no words to describe just how I feel.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint