Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Maynard 1873 Model #8 2 barrel set w/ box (Read 19635 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Maynard 1873 Model #8 2 barrel set w/ box
Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
No offense, as I've always thought they were classic early single shot rifles. But I could never get over the break barrel design. Just never appealed to me.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 1:13am
Print Post  
That break barrel design was always a concern for me too, especially bench shooting.  However, we did have a fellow many years ago who shot one at Tacoma and did very well with it.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

freebird

Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Thank you for the details on adapting modern brass Al, it does not seem out of my league on my lathe... if I ever get a Maynard that is  Smiley

Is Layman's book on the subject worth investing $15? for the sake of knowledge...

As for Civil War Maynard, it's easier to get them in France than the 1873 or 82 models, as vast quantities of Civil War surplus carbines were shipped to the French National Defense Govt after the demise of Napoleon III and our defeat against Prussia. 

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 11:14am
Print Post  
A shooter friend shoots a gorgeous Maynard at out weekly 22 indoor Match.With Schuetzen hook, iron sights.He;s built A couple barrels for his also.thanks for sharing. I think he's go nuts seeing the little setup you have.He doesnt do computers.

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Yes the Maynard Bug is very bad be carful.

ron

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
freebird wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 7:41am:
Thank you for the details on adapting modern brass Al, it does not seem out of my league on my lathe... if I ever get a Maynard that is  Smiley

Is Layman's book on the subject worth investing $15? for the sake of knowledge...

As for Civil War Maynard, it's easier to get them in France than the 1873 or 82 models, as vast quantities of Civil War surplus carbines were shipped to the French National Defense Govt after the demise of Napoleon III and our defeat against Prussia. 

I had a quick look through both of Maynard books that were supplied with these 2 Maynards that I just bought and I thought they were good reference material.  They are really more just booklets than books, so they aren't all that thick, but again there is lots of good information in both of them to help feed the addiction ...

Roll Eyes

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

freebird

Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 2:22am
Print Post  
Thank you, Al "the Pusher"...  Wink

(Now, find the money...  Undecided )

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I like to think of myself as more of an "enabler" than a "Pusher" ...

Grin

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I just ordered a 25 round box of 20 gauge Magtech brass hulls to convert to .64 smoothbore cases to get the smoothbore barrel shooting again.  Now I need to order some 18 gauge cards and fibres to load them with.  The things we do just so we can shoot a round of Skeet with our old guns!  LOL ...
Grin

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Al, you are an enabler! -that's someone that presents us with things we didn't know we needed... But we don't know how you are personally either though...  Smiley  I've been referred to as a pusher, when you take a newbie to the range, set them down behind a vintage firearm and hand them ammo to burn, that's a pusher.  I bet you'd qualify if given the opportunity.   Grin   

Freebird, those of us that encourage you to purchase these items you find -  we like to be referred to as your support group.  I have several of my support group members at my fingertips (smart phone) and they've done an exceptional job lately!  If you ever need help trying to decide a purchase, please feel free to add me to you support group list - I've learned a lot of key phrases and one-liners that really help.  Grin Grin Grin
Greg

ps, George Layman's books on both the Ballard and the Maynard are worth having in your collection.  They're not as good as some but there is useful info in them.   Wink

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

freebird

Reply #25 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks Greg, my grasp of English is making swift progress with you all  Wink
This forum sure has been a great support group to my addiction since I started reading through...

I got G. Layman's Ballard book. It's compact and informative, so I guess I'll get me the Maynard one also, thanks for the confirmation.
I still need to get my hands on a copy of J. Dutcher's Ballard opus... but that sounds like a tough quest... (or an expensive buy...)

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Yes, I've been hoping to walk into one of our local gun shows and "magically" find a copy of Dutcher's book on Ballards on somebody's table, but so far it's been as productive as looking for "Unicorn Poop" ...

Sad

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
GT wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 12:09pm:
Al, you are an enabler! -that's someone that presents us with things we didn't know we needed... But we don't know how you are personally either though...  Smiley  I've been referred to as a pusher, when you take a newbie to the range, set them down behind a vintage firearm and hand them ammo to burn, that's a pusher.  I bet you'd qualify if given the opportunity.   Grin  

Well then I guess I qualify as both a "pusher" and an "enabler" since I've been known to do BOTH!  LOL ...

Freebird, those of us that encourage you to purchase these items you find -  we like to be referred to as your support group.  I have several of my support group members at my fingertips (smart phone) and they've done an exceptional job lately!  If you ever need help trying to decide a purchase, please feel free to add me to you support group list - I've learned a lot of key phrases and one-liners that really help.  Grin Grin Grin
Greg

ps, George Layman's books on both the Ballard and the Maynard are worth having in your collection.  They're not as good as some but there is useful info in them.   Wink

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
So I just opened today's mail and received the box of 20 gauge Magtech brass hulls in 20 gauge, so now I have to check and see if they fit into the .64 calibre Maynard smoothbore barrel.  Slowly getting closer and closer to shooting all of these various Maynards that I've been buying!

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #29 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Rev. Al,
Have you decided on the load for your .64 cal. shotshells?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint