Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My Ruger No. 1 (Read 1716 times)
Roy Bob

My Ruger No. 1
Feb 8th, 2019 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Here's my Ruger No. 1, chambered in 22 BR. It has a Shilen select match stainless barrel and a Kipplinger single set trigger. It is very accurate and will shoot .5" groups all day long with Lapua brass and 40 gr. Berger bullets leaving the barrel at over 4000 foot seconds. It is not a friend to ground squirrels.

The butt stock is Ruger and I made the wide forend. The scope is a Unertl 15 power Ultra Varmint. Love this rifle.

IP Logged

blunderbus41

Re: My Ruger No. 1
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:39am
Print Post  
That's a beautiful gun! I have a 98 Mauser actioned 22-250 with a douglas barrel that I have replaced the trigger with a timmney and had jeweled the action, but have a sporterized 98 stock on it so it's not pretty, john

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
That rifle looks like sudden death to ground squirrels and other varmints.

Very nice!

Curl

IP Logged

Roy Bob

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
I had never worked with a falling block rifle before I build my Ruger No. 1. I had dabbled in organized benchrest shooting so my experience was with bolt guns. My goal was to build an old-fasion falling block rifle and see how accurate I could make it. I bought the finest components I could get for the rifle and the cartridges. I spent a lot of time prepping my brass (weight sorted, neck turned, flash holes reamed, etc.) I did a lot of load development with it and wrote an article about my results in Prescision Shooting Magazine.   

In preparation for the article I shot 58 groups (five shots each) with various bullets and powder combinations. My average group was .627. This is an average of all groups fired, the good and the bad. My pet load includes a 40 gr Berger bullet and Benchmark powder. This load results in velosity in the range of 4010 fps and groups in the .25 range. I'd say this Ruger No. 1 is a very accurate rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint