Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Victorian (Read 2392 times)
gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Victorian
Feb 6th, 2019 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I would like to see a picture of the Ruger Victorian.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Victorian
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
According to this Rifleman article, the name was only Ruger's tentative, pre-production, terminology for the new SS he was designing--he was evoking the image of the great British SSs of the Victorian period.  There was never a specific model called by that name, according to this piece.

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
I recall seeing an original Victorian stock years ago and it was beautiful. It was covered, I believe, in the 1967 gun digest, to which I do not have access. There was a picture on the front cover of a publication from that area and it may have been the the 67 digest. Ruger modified the stock to make it lighter for the #1.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
gwahir wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 12:57pm:
It was covered, I believe, in the 1967 gun digest, to which I do not have access.

That's correct--there's a brief excerpt from it in the much later GD piece cited above by JLouis. I checked the several GD Treasuries (collections of previous GD articles) I have, but the original '67 article was not reprinted in any of them.  Maybe the Archives have the '67 ed.

However, this statement does not make it sound like the "Victorian" was marketed as a model distinct from other No.1s:

"Originally, the rifle was going to be named the Victorian, due to its 19th century styling, but not long after it went into production, the name was changed. From the beginning, the actions were stamped “No. 1” and that became the official name."

Most of the very early production No. 1s were stocked in much fancier wood than was later used. 

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
gwahir
I have that 1967 Gun Digest and it has an article introducing the "new" Ruger single shot rifle. Viewing it in hindsight, this article by Roger Barlow was obviously thrown together from notes made on a visit to the Ruger factory in Connecticut prior to actual production. There were no complete rifles at that time. The article does have an interesting photo of an assembled barreled action with all the component parts laid out alongside. The closing paragraph made a statement that the rifle will probably be called the Ruger Victorian.
The Digest cover is a painting of a Winchester 66 with a 100th Centennial commemorative Model 94.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
RSW wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 8:36pm:
The closing paragraph made a statement that the rifle will probably be called the Ruger Victorian.

That word "Victorian" has enormously historic & positive connotations for me, as it obviously did for Bill Ruger; however, it seems wiser of him, on second thought, to have selected a name that did not, where the American public was concerned, call for any special knowledge of "ancient history."  Doubt there were very many US buyers of the No. 1 who were well versed in the history of British SSs.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I think whether buyers know the history of a name or not doesn't affect the number of guns sold. Ruger sold a bunch of Bisley Model SAA style revolvers, and the vast majority who bought them had no idea what the Bisley name meant.

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen, thanks for your input.

IP Logged

ww

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 9:24am
Print Post  
When did the No1 switch from the Red recoil pad. I see rifles listed with red  and grey. WW

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint