Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Reidl single shot rifle (Read 1397 times)
adamss45120

Reidl single shot rifle
Feb 5th, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Hello,
I’m new to this forum but not to shooting. Back in the mid to late 70’s I had a notion to go and hunt bison in So. Dakota. To that end I had a rifle built by the Reidl rifle co. Out of California. It is chambered for 45-120 Sharps. At the time I was interested in pushing heavy bullets fast. Recoil of the gun was robust so I never fitted it with a scope although it came with a single piece mount. Fast forward to today and I am working up some lower powered loads and a low powered scope would be a benefit. I took the scope base to the local gun shop and they were unable to match up some rings for me. Sparing everyone the dimensional details, I was wondering if anyone out there has one of these rifles with a scope on it that can give me the correct brand/version?

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Re: Reidl single shot rifle
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I have seen several of these rifles over the years with scopes mounted, never owned one. Modern rifles should use some type of current rings, maybe if you take a look at these one set may be the right one. A picture of the base would help a lot but look here.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Might be easier to ID, if you could post a picture.
Just a guess here, but given the CA origin and the time period, it wouldn't surprise me if Riedl used Buehler bases and rings.
You can still find them on eBay, etc., but you won't find them at Brownells or Midway. Wink

IP Logged

adamss45120

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks...I will post a picture this weekend and check out the sources you suggested

IP Logged

adamss45120

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Hi 
I added this photo that shows the top of the one-piece scope mount. Presumably, it would receive a ring with a square base or at least appropriate flats with a mounting screw thru the center of the ring. So far the only thing I have seen that looks like it has the same general geometry is a Sako ring however, the hole on that ring is not counterbored or counter sunk to receive the screw.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint