Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard No. 5 Pacific in .38-55 WCF ... (Read 7298 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Ballard No. 5 Pacific in .38-55 WCF ...
Jan 14th, 2019 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
My latest acquisition just arrived in the mail this morning!  A Marlin Ballard No. 5 Pacific in .38-55 WCF.  It has a few small "warts", but nothing too serious for a rifle of this age.  Serial number is 33230.  (I'll let Val advise me where that might fall in Ballard production dates?)  It has a bit of light frosting in the throat area just ahead of the chamber, but the chamber itself and the rest of the bore is in very good condition so it should still be a good shooter.  Standard rear sight and no tang sight.  The globe front sight has a "lollypop" style post and bead which is one of my favorite sight types and I like them fairly fine too, which this one is.  I'm meeting a shooting / collecting friend out at one of our gun clubs tomorrow, so if I can load a few quick test rounds of .38-55 today then I'll test fire it onto a target while we're at the range tomorrow.  Can't wait to shoot this old girl a bit ...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard No. 5 Pacific in .38-55 WCF ...
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Congratulations appears to be very nice and looking forward to seeing your targets and hearing about your first outings results and thanks for sharing.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Nice looking Ballard!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
That's a pretty nice Pacific in a great caliber! The Marlin Firearms Co. rollstamp, and 33,000 range serial number put it pretty late in production. Guessing around 1888 or so with that high a number. 
It appears to be well maintained, and has a Ballard fixed globe, and correct rear sight with the early Ballard "ears" on the rear of the sight. Only thing I see is it has the wrong elevator, but that's a very minor issue.
Will be interesting to hear what the groove diameter is? Some can run fairly large on these old Ballards in .38-55 Ballard.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  Yes, I'll have to slug it and see how big the barrel is, but .380" to .381" wouldn't surprise me at all.  The only cast bullets I have on hand right now to load in it are .377" to .378" and might be undersized, but I'll shoot a few in it just so that I can make it go "bang" tomorrow and if they don't group well or show signs of tipping then I'll have to cast some more bullets to test and leave them full sized, as cast and just pan lubed.  I can always try a softer bullet alloy too and duplex load it and see if the force of the black powder charge will upset the bullets and give better accuracy.  Too many project guns and not enough time and energy to play with them all!
I'm planning to try 20.0, 21.0 and 22.0 grains of IMR4198 tomorrow with WW .38-55 brass and WW Large Rifle primers just for initial testing and I'll be happy to just get it onto paper.  The cast bullets I have on hand are 255-ish grain, some with plain base and some with gas checks.  I'll see what happens ...
Oh, and by the way ... when he shipped it to me he removed the buttstock to shorten the parcel and I noted that the buttstock is numbered to the serial number on the upper toe under the buttplate so it is definitely the original matching stock.  Haven't pulled the forend yet to look underneath, but were the forends matched to rifles by serial number too?

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
By the way, do you have any photos of what the proper rear sight elevator should look like?  Are there any correct repro elevators available?  (I suppose that an original would be tough to locate since they are likely an often "lost" part?)

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Boy, you sure pick up some really neat single shots. It seems to me you show new ones every few weeks or so.  Is it time for a new gunsafe to keep these beautiful rifles in ?  Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I already have 4 rifle safes plus 2 smaller handgun safes, but to be honest they are getting pretty full these days.  In my defense though I have been culling out some of my older Winchester lever actions and replacing them with single shots so the numbers haven't really changed all that much.

Oh, and I have 2 more Maynards coming sometime soon as well ...

Wink

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I'm just taking a short break to make a couple of quick phone calls, but I'm in the middle of loading some .38-55 test loads for the Ballard that I'll shoot tomorrow.  I did some digging and it turned out that I did have a few .380" / .3805" cast bullets left along with some .377" / .378" so I'm loading the larger diameter bullets to try first.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Jan 14th, 2019 at 4:54pm:
By the way, do you have any photos of what the proper rear sight elevator should look like?  Are there any correct repro elevators available?  (I suppose that an original would be tough to locate since they are likely an often "lost" part?)

I used to have a source for reproduction elevators, but no longer have one. Here's a picture of the Marlin "harpoon" elevator that is correct for Marlins, some Remingtons, and also Savage 1899 rifles. This one happens to be on a Rolling Block I own. They show up on Ebay occasionally.

If you remove the forearm wood, Marlin serialized them on the back edge that mates to the receiver. Usually half the number on each side of the center hole for the wiping rod, or the nub on all other Ballard forearms.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
If having an example it should not be to difficult to make even if only have hand tools I would tend to think?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I'm not a metal worker so I wouldn't attempt to make one, but now I know what to look for and can keep an eye out for a proper Marlin "harpoon" (like that term!) elevator.

Just finished loading some test loads for tomorrow and found that the loaded rounds in WW brass with those .380" / .3805" cast bullets are really tight seating in the chamber for the last 3/8" or so.  Might have to thin the case mouths a bit so that I can comfortably seat a large diameter bullet, or I might try to find some Starline brass since I understand that it tends to be a bit thinner at the mouth?  The PO replied to my emailed questions and he said that he was shooting .379" cast bullets with SR4759.  I can try that next time since I still have a bit of hoarded SR4759 tucked away.  It's a shame it was discontinued as many of my other old rifles shoot well with it.  Anyway, I'll try these IMR4198 test loads tomorrow and see what happens.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
By the way, has anyone ever done any load testing with H322 in the .38-55?  I lucked into about 7 pounds of it from an estate at a reasonable price and being short grained it meters well through a powder measure.  I have a large action Martini that was re-bored by Ron Smith in Alberta to .338 / .303 British and it LOVES H322 with cast bullets!  I've shot several groups that went into one big hole shooting the 200 grain Lee .338 cast bullet and it's got me wondering how it might perform in the .38-55 as well ...

IP Logged

freebird

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Beautiful Pacific.
And thanks to your post, I now know that I need to look for a complete rear sight for mine... Oh well...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
In desperation I have hand filed some harpoon elevators out over the years. Once the proper thickness material was sourced it's not an impossible task. There are some details that don't show in the picture I posted, like the little pointed tail at the base opposite end from that point. 
I found this one at Ebay that shows a good picture of the correct elevator. The seller might be a bit crazy on his price, but they do seem to get about half his asking price.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Looking at the profile, except for the "harpoon" tip, it looks like it was made very similarly to one of the early un-numbered WRA sight elevators.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #16 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:16pm:
Looking at the profile, except for the "harpoon" tip, it looks like it was made very similarly to one of the early un-numbered WRA sight elevators.

Later Marlin repeater sights lost the little point on the rear, but retained the harpoon tip. If I recall correctly the Winchester didn't have the harpoon tip, and had some sort of serrated thumb piece?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Go back further in time, Vall, to the WRA Model 1873.
Two of those early WRA elevators didn't have the widened thumbpieces like the later production 1A, 1B and 1C sight elevators had... one had the notches parallel to the top flat of the barrel, and the other had the notches at an angle like shown on that Marlin Fish-hook elevator.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:41pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #18 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:28pm:
Two of those early WRA elevators didn't have the widened thumbpieces like the later production 1A, 1B and 1C sight elevators had... one had the notches parallel to the top flat of the barrel, and the other had the notches at an angle like shown on that Marlin Fish-hook elevator.

I believe you! I'm not a Winchester guy, so I don't know the details. I just know that it's likely the early Ballard sights were made by the same company that made sights for Remington, and Savage 1895, since I see these sights on all three guns. And later Marlin repeaters and Remington single shots used a modified version that was the same for them, and for the later 1899 Savage rifles.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:46pm:
BP wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 4:28pm:

I believe you! I'm not a Winchester guy, so I don't know the details. I just know that it's likely the early Ballard sights were made by the same company that made sights for Remington, and Savage 1895, since I see these sights on all three guns. And later Marlin repeaters and Remington single shots used a modified version that was the same for them, and for the later 1899 Savage rifles.

Vall,

You raise an interesting question...  has anyone ever discovered just who that "same company" was that produced the sights that were used by so many different firearms manufacturers?
That outfit had to have a name, building(s) with street address (and mailing address if different from the street address), workers who were there at various times, purchase records for steel and other basic sight production materials, production equipment, tooling and special cutters, etc, and billing invoices that were addressed to the different firearms companies when the sights were delivered to them... and the firearms manufacturer records should have had copies of the billing statements in their own records for accounts payable that were made back to that "same company" somewhere.
Who has uncovered at least some of the records pertaining to that "same company" ?     Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2019 at 5:50pm by BP »  

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Ideal/Lyman and Bridgeport Gun & Implement would be possible "same other company" candidates, except neither goes back far enough.  Or perhaps as is well documented in other trades, especially tools, one of the "big", fully-outfitted companies might have "jobbed" sights and such for others.  Again looking at the timeline. that would put Remington and Winchester itself at the forefront.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 6:13pm:
Ideal/Lyman and Bridgeport Gun & Implement would be possible "same other company" candidates, except neither goes back far enough. 

But BGI had a predecessor:

"The Bridgeport Gun Implement Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut was founded in 1878 by Marcellus Hartley. The firm was one of the major suppliers of loading tools and accessories for sportsmen. Hartley purchased a company from Charles D. Leet in order to found his own firm; Leet was the manager of the Bridgeport Gun Implement Co. for a time. The company sold tools in sets that ranged from basic to very complete; sets included gun-cleaning implements and loading tools. Most of the company's tools are marked with the company name and a tool number."

From Conn. Hist. Soc. website.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Bill,

Cornell has a reprint of a  c. 1881 Bridgeport Gun & Implement catalog...  

Quote:
CONTENTS INCLUDE:
Bridgeport Gun Implement Company 1881
Bridgeport, Connecticut
Expansion Loaders
Bench Closers
Molds
Calls
Cases
Reloaders
Crimpers
Spears
Compasses
Measures

Strange thing is that the BGI catalog contents listing doesn't appear to mention anything about gun sights... 

As far as Lyman and Marbles sights go, the major gun company catalogs illustrated and called out the available Lyman and Marbles gun sights that they were willing to install as optional equipment.

WRA had dimensioned drawings for their sight specifications, and if WRA had chosen to farm out production of component parts or entire sights, it would seem that WRA would have notated who they were subletting the production out to.
If it actually occurred, shouldn't Cody have stumbled across any records of that by now, and word have already circulated among researchers and collectors?

And I agree, the timelines don't jive.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #23 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I believe BGI made sights for many of the gun companies. I saw a BGI catalog years ago, and their sights looked like what I see on many guns.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:01pm:
WRA had dimensioned drawings for their sight specifications, and if WRA had chosen to farm out production of component parts or entire sights, it would seem that WRA would have notated who they were subletting the production out to.
If it actually occurred, shouldn't Cody have stumbled across any records of that by now, and word have already circulated among researchers and collectors?

If they had survived; but many other records didn't.

But it would be surprising if someone had not previously researched such a well known firm in one of the many arms publications--Gun Report, Armax (both now defunct), Man at Arms, etc.; no easy way, however, to locate such old info.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Vall, 

Do you recall a catalog date?
Or any of the various models of the sights that were depicted?

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Just got home from the range and I'm quite happy with today's initial results with the Ballard Pacific.  I shot it at 100 yards and I have to admit it was tough to get a decent sight picture with the coarse open sights and the size of target that I used.  I think something with about a 12" to 14" white round centre would let me get a white "fringe" around the front "lollypop" sight bead.  (The targets I used only have about an 8" white centre circle.)  Anyway, the 20.0 grains of IMR4198 printed on paper after a few sighters to see where the rifle was shooting, and it tightened up a bit with 21.0 grains, and opened up a bit with the 22.0 grain load.  Again, nothing really set in stone since it was hard to get a decent, consistent sight picture with these targets, but 21.0 grains shows some promise.  I'll have to try some with SR4759 as well for comparison, plus I'll try to finds some targets better suited to the coarse sights.

Anyway, here is 20.0 grains ...

... and 21.0 grains ... (and I suspect that the low flyer was me rather than the rifle or the load) ...

... and 22.0 grains ...

All in all a good day and a good start!

Smiley

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:14pm:
BP wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:01pm:

If they had survived; but many other records didn't.

But it would be surprising if someone had not previously researched such a well known firm in one of the many arms publications--Gun Report, Armax (both now defunct), Man at Arms, etc.; no easy way, however, to locate such old info.

Considering the high number of sights that would have had to have been produced to supply the demand and ongoing volume requirements for the firearm production of the multiple major manufacturers that occurred for decades, how could it have remained a secret for so long?
People constantly talk... and damned few can keep a secret... secret for so many, many years.    Grin

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:27pm:

Considering the high number of sights that would have had to have been produced to supply the demand and ongoing volume requirements for the firearm production of the multiple major manufacturers that occurred for decades, how could it have remained a secret for so long?

A matter of small significance to customers--who's making the sights on their rifles--doesn't have to be a deliberate "secret" to simply be forgotten as times change.  I doubt that whoever's job it was to mount the sights gave any particular thought to where they were coming from, unless perhaps it was also their job to re-order them when the parts bin became low.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Perhaps we should move this sight discussion into its own thread.

But until or if that happens, first, since the "same other company" must exist by at least the late-1870s, Marbles is out.

Second, except for Remington, all the other big boys are either in Connecticut or neighboring Massachusetts; ideally the "same other company" was too.

Third, there has long been a contention that because of the diversity of its offerings, BGI (and its earlier counterpart?) was at least initially only a distributor ala Sears.  Still, as Vall notes, BGI did eventually market its own brand of at least simple, open sights.

Fourth, Remington was not adverse to jobbing and even went so far as to rent space within its buildings, sometimes for a goodly while, to developers/inventors, especially when the company might eventually make money off them, sometimes even creating semi-independent "divisions" to do so.  Henry Quackenbush and his air guns and Christoper Sholes and his typewriter are two well-documented examples (though only the typewriter becoming part of the Remington corporate family).

Last for now, as any experienced historian will attest, it's most often the things that "everybody knows" that fail to be formally documented and/or preserved.  Plus not counting that fellow who has "written" two books by essentially reproducing catalog pages, has anybody rigorously researched gun sights and their accredited and actual makers?

That's enough for now.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #30 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Moved my reply to a new thread in "Collecting".
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2019 at 1:33pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #31 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:16pm:

Reverend Al,
That there is a FINE "working" rifle chambered for a versatile cartridge! I'm sooo envious, never having owned a Pacific Rifle. You made me go back and re-read Ned Robert's comments on his .38-55 Pacific - the one that so impressed his uncle, who believed a store-bought cartridge rifle could never be as accurate as his muzzle loading target gun.

You have reason to be mighty pleased with you initial shooting results.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks!  Yes, I love Ballards and especially like the looks of the Pacific model.  I still have the first one I bought in .40-90 3" Ballard and wouldn't part with it and was very happy to find this one in a fairly standard chambering that I already have lots of components for and a variety of different moulds that I can try.  I'd still like to delve into paper patching for several of my single shot rifles and I need to quit procrastinating and go ahead and buy several paper patch adjustable "slick" moulds from Red River Rick out in Winnipeg.
A friend of mine met me at the range yesterday to do some shooting with me and when I let him shoot a few rounds out of this Ballard he thoroughly enjoyed it.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Yesterday several of us "old curmudgeons" from one of my local gun clubs hosted 25 ladies from our in-club "Victoria Women Shooters" to a day of Rifle instruction and coaching.  We brought a variety of different rifles for them to shoot (mostly .22's to start out with) and one of the guns I brought for them to shoot was this .38-55 Ballard Pacific.  It got a lot of attention and many of the ladies asked if they could try shooting it.  Of course none of them had ever shot a rifle with double set triggers before and the looks on their faces when they barely touched the front trigger and the rifle "barked" were priceless.  One young lady in particular was quite intrigued with the rifle and when she touched it off the very light trigger pull really startled her and she screamed (a good, happy scream followed by a hearty laugh).  She did the same again on the second shot and on the third shot just as she was preparing to fire she said out loud: "OK ... I'm NOT going to scream this time ..."  LOL  Absolutely made my day.

Grin

The motley crew ...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #34 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Always fun to expose new shooters to these fine old guns!

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #35 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Wish we had a "Like" button, Rev. Al!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint