Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard No. 5 Pacific in .38-55 WCF ... (Read 7319 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ballard No. 5 Pacific in .38-55 WCF ...
Reply #30 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Moved my reply to a new thread in "Collecting".
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2019 at 1:33pm by marlinguy »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #31 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:16pm:

Reverend Al,
That there is a FINE "working" rifle chambered for a versatile cartridge! I'm sooo envious, never having owned a Pacific Rifle. You made me go back and re-read Ned Robert's comments on his .38-55 Pacific - the one that so impressed his uncle, who believed a store-bought cartridge rifle could never be as accurate as his muzzle loading target gun.

You have reason to be mighty pleased with you initial shooting results.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks!  Yes, I love Ballards and especially like the looks of the Pacific model.  I still have the first one I bought in .40-90 3" Ballard and wouldn't part with it and was very happy to find this one in a fairly standard chambering that I already have lots of components for and a variety of different moulds that I can try.  I'd still like to delve into paper patching for several of my single shot rifles and I need to quit procrastinating and go ahead and buy several paper patch adjustable "slick" moulds from Red River Rick out in Winnipeg.
A friend of mine met me at the range yesterday to do some shooting with me and when I let him shoot a few rounds out of this Ballard he thoroughly enjoyed it.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Yesterday several of us "old curmudgeons" from one of my local gun clubs hosted 25 ladies from our in-club "Victoria Women Shooters" to a day of Rifle instruction and coaching.  We brought a variety of different rifles for them to shoot (mostly .22's to start out with) and one of the guns I brought for them to shoot was this .38-55 Ballard Pacific.  It got a lot of attention and many of the ladies asked if they could try shooting it.  Of course none of them had ever shot a rifle with double set triggers before and the looks on their faces when they barely touched the front trigger and the rifle "barked" were priceless.  One young lady in particular was quite intrigued with the rifle and when she touched it off the very light trigger pull really startled her and she screamed (a good, happy scream followed by a hearty laugh).  She did the same again on the second shot and on the third shot just as she was preparing to fire she said out loud: "OK ... I'm NOT going to scream this time ..."  LOL  Absolutely made my day.

Grin

The motley crew ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #34 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Always fun to expose new shooters to these fine old guns!

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #35 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Wish we had a "Like" button, Rev. Al!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint