Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My Gorgeous Ugly.... (Read 11999 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: My Gorgeous Ugly....
Reply #45 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
A Model 94 was once a expensive rifle when new. Considering it would cost the average worker a couple weeks pay back in the late 1890's. 
A run of the mill Ballard was under $20 new. And if I saw someone had messed up a Rigby Ballard I'd think they were nuts, as they never reached "clunker" status. But they were always expensive when new, and never as cheap as standard hunting models when single shots fell out of favor.
But a nice old single like the OP's was also expensive. But the owners of the gun didn't screw up a valuable engraved action. They messed up a barrel. We know a famous maker's barrel was expensive, and are desirable today. But I also know from my older friends there was a time when the barrels from Pope, Schoyen, Peterson, etc. were being pulled off and tossed aside because guys wanted "better calibers". So AGAIN, it's a matter of timing, and the highly desirable barrel today, wasn't always highly desirable.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 9:41am
Print Post  
You are hilarious Joe. Gun fits me for OH,shoots well off the forearm or off the barrel for BR.I may build a squared BR forearm to ride the bag for BR Matches, just to bug you! I am liking short fat heavy swiss cheese  barrels!.......Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #47 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Looks pretty compared to the rifle Ralph MacDonald once painted the stock (hand carved aspen wood) with the yellow paint used on Highway trucks - or the one he had with a butt pad on a piece of angle iron.

It shot great offhand Joe.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 3:02am
Print Post  
What about Chuck Bender's duct taped rifles? He shot very  well.  Beauty is in the is in the eye of the beholder   Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #49 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Joe...At our Wed Night Indoor Match have seen no one snicker, but alot of fondling. Holds very well, short and fat. Maybe after my other projects are done will get back with Marlinguy about cleaning up the barrel.A rust blue and CC on action would really set it off!

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint