Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My Gorgeous Ugly.... (Read 11993 times)
40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: My Gorgeous Ugly....
Reply #30 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Screwholes for different lengths of scopes, while somewhat unsightly, is like a ding on the stock. Simply proof of honest use. It seems to me that the rifle has been through a bunch of hands and that it shot well enough to have a newer of better sope on it with each owner.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #31 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 11:54am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 11:16am:
Screwholes for different lengths of scopes, while somewhat unsightly, is like a ding on the stock. Simply proof of honest use. It seems to me that the rifle has been through a bunch of hands and that it shot well enough to have a newer of better sope on it with each owner.

40 Rod

But some owners are nicer than others too. In the case of some of the holes on Skalkaho's Ballard, and my Schoyen, the person doing the work was less than professional work. One thing to have extra holes, and another for them to be off center, or poorly done like my gun had. Poorly done holes are better repaired than left as evidence of many owners. Some owners need to be forgotten.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Some owners need to be forgotten.

Amen, Bro. Vall!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 11:16am:
Simply proof of honest use.

Does that include checkering or stock carving jobs done with a pocket knife, probably at a hunting camp while drunk?  It's no shame to be incompetent, as I am about many tasks, but I detest the idiots who are too stupid to recognize their own incompetence.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Some were purchased and used as a tool and I know of one competitor who looks at them as just being that. Some simply could not afford to have them worked on and did their best with what they had to work with.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Redsetter I am not sure how you came up with or could even try to justify incompetence. When a fellow has worked hard and paid for something that he now owns what he does with it from there is simply his own business and none of our own. But yet here we are trying to condem them for everything we don't happen to like as if we originaly bought and paid for it and actually have that right.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 1:49pm:
Redsetter I am not sure how you came up with or could even try to justify incompetence.

I sure as hell DON'T!  I hate it!  Whoever engages in it voluntarily, of their own free will (as opposed to some emergency situation where competent work can't be obtained) isn't guilty of breaking any laws (unfortunately), but IS guilty of crass stupidity.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #37 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
I don't believe those who damaged or degraded these fine old guns did so intentionally. Of course the end result speaks to their talents, but not to their intent.
What these guns were worth back when the work was done often speaks to what went through the individual's thought process. He may have paid very little for what today is a valuable rifle; so taking on a task above his skill level wasn't taking a big chance in his mind. 
I am saddened by the end results of some of the old home gunsmithing projects. But I do understand they were usually done to save money, and on guns that had less value than they do today. Even big name custom single shots weren't appreciated nearly as much as they are today. Heck, even gunsmiths known for making great guns themselves didn't mind destroying what their contemporaries made before them! I've seen Schoyen barreled rifles that AW Peterson installed a .22 liner in the barrel. I'm sure he wanted the work, and didn't question it when the customer brought in a Schoyen barreled rifle to make a .22 out of.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 18th, 2019 at 12:05pm:
I don't believe those who damaged or degraded these fine old guns did so intentionally. Of course the end result speaks to their talents, but not to their intent.

It isn't their "intent" that deserves condemnation, but their inability to recognize the harm they're doing un-intentially.  There is a name for this state of mind--the failure to perceive & understand that what you're doing (even if it looks good to you) doesn't meet most other people's standards of "good workmanship"; that name is "stupid."

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy very well stated and thanks for sharing your thoughts as those were indeed very different times and not forgetting  the depression and the wars where these firearms were left behind for a time they were also very challenging. It's actually quite remarkable that so many have survived in the shape they are in or still being restoradble and regaining back some of their popularity once again.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Their intent was never meant to please or to meet other's standards is what you don't seem to understand so why would you think them to be stupid is what some just don't understand.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jan 18th, 2019 at 1:17pm:
Their intent was never meant to please or to meet other's standards is what you don't seem to understand so why would you think them to be stupid is what some just don't understand.

What I don't understand is the "pass" some would like to give to the perpetrators of willful gun butchery.  So alright, let's all give a pat on the back to all the gun butchers of all time, because, according to you, their "heart was in the right place."   

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Was to them just not you and theirs to do with and simply not mine or yours.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #43 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
It's no different than if you had something very valuable and told yourself you wont chance messing it up. But you had some clunker worth very little, so you decided to take a shot at it yourself. I've taken a chance fixing something of little value also. I figured if I fixed it that would be great, and if I didn't not much loss. 
As I said, there was little value to many of these guns when they were messed up. You continue to base the idea of not harming them on the fact they've become valuable. It's not about giving these guys a pass, it's about considering the time frame in which it was done.
Hindsight is 20-20.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 18th, 2019 at 6:49pm:
But you had some clunker worth very little, so you decided to take a shot at it yourself. I've taken a chance fixing something of little value also. I figured if I fixed it that would be great, and if I didn't not much loss.

I have no problem with that.  But I've never heard anyone complain about a butchered clunker, so obviously that's not the kind of gun we'd be talking about as victims of carelessness.  But is it asking too much of someone's intelligence to discriminate between a beat-up Model 94, or sporterized military rifle, or other mass-produced gun, and what was obviously, in the past, an expensive, high quality, rifle?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint