Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My Gorgeous Ugly.... (Read 11987 times)
Skalkaho
Oldtimer

My Gorgeous Ugly....
Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Here is an  A.W.Peterson 22 Ballard Union Hill #6.It is an almost gaudy Gorgeous stock,but very well executed. A buddy well versed in Ballards figured A 1960's restock, I agreed. What makes it Gorgeous Ugly is the top of the barrel. I mean 16 holes!...18 now counting the front base I mounted at 7.2" to the rear base. Someone at one time must of been drinking or the drill press and vice were not very stable. ! 24" barrel.Weighs in at 14#, and shoots pretty darn good!My first group at 100 yds was a 247,A slight 9 oclock breeze ,one flag at 20 yds.Shot in less than five minutes. Its a keeper.......

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Re: My Gorgeous Ugly....
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
The last pic...a drill hole right thru Peterson! Taking out part of the E and R.....

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Neat rifle. I really like the engraved action !!  Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
That's some fine old iron! Congratulations!! Love that carved stock and action engraving. Nice find!

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
"OOMPAH!" says this Alt Deutcher.  Also, if it were mine, I'd have the sacrilegious excess of holes welded up, the "ER" recut, and the barrel rust blued.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 10:38pm:
"OOMPAH!" says this Alt Deutcher.  Also, if it were mine, I'd have the sacrilegious excess of holes welded up, the "ER" recut, and the barrel rust blued.

Bill Lawrence

Yes, it's well worth the expense of having this work done, despite my dislike of the stocking job; not the workmanship, but the taste of whomever commissioned it.  At least no "naked lady," as Arthur Hubalek had carved on one of his Ballards!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Skalkaho wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:40pm:
shoots pretty darn good!My first group at 100 yds was a 247,A slight 9 oclock breeze ,one flag at 20 yds.Shot in less than five minutes. Its a keeper.......

What ammo was that?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Bob. I used the Ely bulk ammo from CMP.I bought 5,000 rds for $350.00 shipped.Just pulled em from the box of 500 and shot.I weighed out a box later,very consistent ammo,great for OH practice  at 7 cents a shot! This is a center fire action set up to shoot rim fire,excellent workmanship. When I have the time will put 10X ,and some Lapua thru it. Hard to get a calm day living on A hill in Montana! Pete   Scope...Lyman 10X Jr

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 10:38pm:

Bill Lawrence

Welding holes in a barrel will "pull" the bore metal leaving the bore harmed. Considering it's an AW Peterson rifled barrel, the bore is very important to not chance harming it. 
I would install tight plugs and then cut them off short and peen them down. Then draw file them and they will disappear. I've done this with several old gun barrels that had extra holes and dovetails, and once rust blued they look great. 
My Schoyen had 6 extra holes, and two extra dovetails. One dovetail took out the "GE" in GEO. C. SCHOYEN on my barrel. I had the GE re-cut by an engraver friend after the repair.

That's a really neat AW Peterson, and the fact it still shoots good makes it even better! I like everything about it, other than the many holes. But the holes usually make them more affordable too! That ivory grip insert is nifty too!
But it's a #6 Schuetzen action, not a Union Hill. Union Hill were #8 or #9, and had loop levers, not ball and spur like a #6 Schuetzen model.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
I have a Peterson barrel on a Pacific Ballard action, but it was welded before I got it  Cry

I used it for offhand, but it didn't shoot well enough to win on the bench.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:44pm:
I have a Peterson barrel on a Pacific Ballard action, but it was welded before I got it  Cry

I used it for offhand, but it didn't shoot well enough to win on the bench.

John Taylor has done more gun welding than most people. He told me years ago that there's really no way he'd weld on a barrel and not plan on relining it afterwards. 
For guns with famous maker's barrels, I would never consider harming the barrel by welding on it. The bore of those type of guns is the thing that makes them so valuable, so destroying it will kill the value.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle, Pete! 

Are you bringing it to Spokane? I want to touch it Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Didn't know CMP was selling Ely bulk ammo? That's a very good price! I have a case of Winchester standard velocity CMP ammo I won at our gun club's annual Christmas party many years ago. Seems to be pretty good shooting, but probably not as good as Ely!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
I have seen that rifle and carving pictured in a book. Currently trying to identify by who's hands was that carving done as it's actually some very nice work.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 12:07am
Print Post  
I have seen screw holes in barrels plugged  that when done you couldn't  see them and where not welded.  Al Perry was one that did it but he is long gone and he would not work on anyone's gun but his own. his neighbor is also one that does this. Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint