Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My Gorgeous Ugly.... (Read 12012 times)
Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My Gorgeous Ugly....
Reply #15 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads up, Vall.  From now on when it comes to barrels, I'll always fill and peen.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Frank,will be at Spokane all 10 days this year.....Will of course be shooting Gorgeous Ugly.Fondling tickets on sale..LOL.  For the time being,will leave the gun alone,maybe just leave it as it is,its a classic and is what it is. I appreciate the advice and knowledge on this forum. I always wonder how many Guys held this gun and the stories behind them. Thanks,Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
kensmachine wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 12:07am:
I have seen screw holes in barrels plugged  that when done you couldn't  see them and where not welded.  Al Perry was one that did it but he is long gone and he would not work on anyone's gun but his own. his neighbor is also one that does this. Ken 

Al is another who told me not to weld on barrels. He and Denny are the ones who explained to me how to fill holes and dovetails and peen them to make them disappear. Denny showed me to not use screws, but instead to tap rod short, so the threads ended before the rod bottomed out in the barrel. Then cut the rod about 1/16" long and peen it down. Then draw file.
Same for dovetails. He told me to make my own hand filed fillers that would drive in tight. Then cut them long and peen each end. Then draw file the fillers too. 
I've followed their advice for years to fill holes and dovetails. When rust blued the difference in metals between filler and barrel wont ever show, but if hot blued dissimilar alloys can be slight color differences. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
I like it!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Kensmachine I have filled a few holes using the same method and really not all that difficult to execute. One only needs to be very careful and cautious of not damaging the surrounding area around the plugged screw hole while doing the work. If so when all is said and done it can longer be seen or found by the eye of the one who has done the work.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
In addition to the steady and patient hand, it helps greatly if the hammer face is well hardened, slightly domed, and blemish free and mirror polished.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
A nicely ground tool and to size for the job at hand along with a magnifying visor can be a bit more helpful than just a hammer in hand. Just the way I prefer to go about it and to me there is no right or wrong way to go about it as long the finished result turns out to be the same.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I second and third the use of an Opti-Visor or its clone, especially if your eyes are finally starting to get as old as the rest of you.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #23 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 3:03pm:
In addition to the steady and patient hand, it helps greatly if the hammer face is well hardened, slightly domed, and blemish free and mirror polished.

Bill Lawrence

I use a plain old ball peen hammer to work the donor metal down. Then once peened down, it is expanded enough that when draw filed the joint doesn't show.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy just so those who might not be aware of and who might not be in the know. The problem with just using a screw to plug and peen is the odds is there will still be void left from a thread that cannot be peened over or covered up and why Marlinguy mentioned the process of using a per-say short threaded stud and please correct me if that was not presented quite correctly I wasn't quite sure how else to word it so one could actually picture it in his mind.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 10:21am
Print Post  
That's what I said. I use threaded rod because screws wont fit tight enough. Rod being short threaded will tighten into the hole before it bottoms out, thus fully filling the hole at the top. Cutting the rod off about 1/16" or longer above surface will then allow the metal to expand even further when peened, prior to draw filing.
I also use mild steel rod, as it forms easier, and makes a better filler. Same for the dovetails where I make my fillers from mild steel stock also. Dovetails are much trickier as I use a body and fender dolly on one end while peening the other end. Then switch to do the opposite end.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
That Germanic style of carving on the stocks reminds me of some stocks I've seen on Arthur Hubaleck rifles from the '30's. I understand that he sent stocks to Europe and had them carved there.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Very interesting.I have searched all over trying to find something in the line of this Ballard stock.German Craftsmen makes sense! Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Skalkaho
The butt stock looks to have been inspired by those "radical" Schuetzen stocks from the Geo. Schoyen shop back about the turn of the 20th century. The forestock shows definite Stevens influence. IMO
It's an handsome rifle.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #29 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Didn't realize that Henry Simmons ever did any stock carving when he was the stock maker at Schoyen's shop? I've seen some elaborate stocks he made, but haven't seen any with as much carving as the OP's Ballard has.
Simmons' stock work is just about as good as any great stock maker of the 1800's and early 1900's! His schuetzen stocks done at Schoyen's, and Peterson's shop are exquisite!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint