Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schuetzen Medals and Ribbons (Read 6883 times)
Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Schuetzen Medals and Ribbons
Dec 12th, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Last Sunday's lots at Heritage Auction renewed my interest in Schuetzen Verein medals and ribbons.  I have been able to add two or three to my collection but they very rarely come up for sale.

I had this photo from A.O. Niedner's album of himself holding a Maynard Long-Range Creedmoor rifle in front of two boards of medals and ribbons.  I was able to zoom in on the boards and thought it was too cool not to share.

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2018 at 8:20pm by Joe Do... »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Schuetzen Medals and Ribbons
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Wow, I was saying the pictures would not open, and, Bang! There they were. Cool, stuff, and a really nice photo of the great man in his later days. Then, the photos disappeared again. Anyhow, I'm glad I saw 'em just for a few moments. Thanks.

edit: Now they are back. I guess I'll take it. Thanks again.

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Ha ... thank you.  "It's not you, it's me"   Grin  I was resizing them to post.

IP Logged

wcf3840
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA Life #299

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Great pictures, Joe. I'll have to pick your brain about Niedner. I had a grandmother and a couple of great aunts who lived in Dowagiac while he was there.

Matt

GTalk  
IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Get a load of the l-o-n-g trick carving right at the top of the frame holding the medals.  Niedner's "just-for-fun" work, do you suppose?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Phewwww.... I'm glad it wasn't anything more bizarre than that! I have too much weirdness happening around here right now. Nice photos.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks for posting those pics, really brings back some history.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Nice Photos Joe. 
There are few people in the single shot game who worked with so many people as Pop.
Munier, Pope, Mann, Leopold, Baker, Shelhamer, up to Kelver. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Those re really great images of a huge figure in firearms history! Thanks for posting them Joe!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Wouldn't it be nice to see all that collection on the wall? There must be some interesting stuff in those frames. 
Bill, I saw that on the frame also. Saw another one much like it in a so-called antique store in Sacramento area a few years back.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
     One of the medals on the board, center at right, is a Victory Medal, awarded by the Massachusetts Rifle Association to "persons possessing suffficient skill to win one." "The medal was struck in gold, silver and bronze, and the figure on the front of the medal is of Victory, taken from famous Walhalla (Hall of the Chosen) or German "Temple of Fame." but one or two gold Victory medals have been awarded, a few silver ones only, and those in bronze are far from common ; for, even with the acknowledged skill possessed by some of the members of this old association, they have seldom been able to fulfill the requirements to recieve this beautiful trophy."                                                                                                      
   "There have been many engraved medals produced for this organization, which have been won by members and visitors at the Walnut Hill Range, but as the association prospered and enlarged its membership, there was a general desire among its members to produce a trophy which would be superior to the engraved badges, and of sufficient value and beauty tobe highly prized by the person possessing sufficient skill to enable him to win one." I found a silver one many years ago, and after considerable searching, found this information in The Rifle, pg. 13, May of 1885.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Can't help but wonder where all his medals ended up?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I would bet that a great number of them, being made of gold or silver, were sold and or melted down by relatives that inherited them and had no interest in family history or any history for that matter. Most of the single shot rifle collectors I know or have known have an interest in them, and have quite a few in their collections. This being said, there may be a fair number still in family keepsakes. The lady that I aquired the Victory medal from had many medals from her grandfather, most from or related to the Massachusetts Rifle Association, which he had belonged to. She was selling them at an antique fair in Paso Robles, Ca. Her husband had passed away, and neither she or their children had any interest in them. I doubt if she was even aware of another outlet where she could dispose of them. I still have them, and will make sure that they end up in the hands of someone who would appreciate them.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
The above reply was not suggesting what happened to Mr. Niedner's medals. It would seem that a lot af his history was retained,firearms, paper, photos, etc, suggests that they may be in someones collection. I sincerely hope so.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Steve Miller

Reply #14 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
It is interesting that some of the ribbons are for shooting matches sponsored by Turn Vereins.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint