Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Traditional Rifle Winter Project (Read 8032 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Traditional Rifle Winter Project
Reply #30 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
Scroll down and read CPA's own thoughts on using the through bolt.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #31 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
The link you have provided no longer shows the image which used to show the triangular piece attached to the lower tang that the through bolt screwed into.

The piece the through bolt screwed into did not appear to be attached to the top tang in the old image CPA used to show.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
The block is attached using the existing upper tang hole and the bottom shared the same tapped hole for the hammer spring  on those I have worked on how is yours attached Dave? A picture of it would indeed be very beneficial to the group I have yet to see one only being attached to just the one tang. The link posted was only to show CPA's to me a non recommendation to use the through bolt and the possible cracking of the stock if one does not follow their after each use recommendations.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #33 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Reread the posts John.

I was talking about a 1885 High Wall through bolt and referring to the through bolt image previously posted by CPA; which has been removed.

I had previously used a loaned Stevens 44 1/2 (not a CPA) with a through bolt - but do not have possesion of it to take pictures for you.

Also there were previous posts by other ASSRA members who indicated their CPAs were only attached to one tang with the CPA through bolt.

Maybe one of them will reply again to confirm.

Again I stated the 1885 WINCHESTER HIGH WALL is significantly more stable with a stock through bolt.

Since you may not read my initial response it was:

1885 Winchester High Wall with set trigger, coil hammer spring, forearm hanger, skeletonized hammer, bushed Neidner firing pin, and stock through bolt fastener will make a competitive bench rifle
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2018 at 7:28pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
My miss understanding Dave and I apologize I had thought you had mentioned fixing the trigger issues with your CPA through bolt by tightening your lower tang attachment screws and it must have been somebody else.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Just a bit confusing the OP didn't mention having a HiWall action on hand so I was trying to stay with what he did have on hand to work worth and the pros and cons accociated with each of those.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #36 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
John you seem to be having problems comprehending what I said in a previous post.
I said the central screw on my CPA would come loose and then affect the trigger function of my CPA.
I said I stopped it by using lock tite on the screw.

I never said anything about tightening the tang screw to solve the trigger problem.

Here is a picture of the action so you can understand what central screw I was referring to.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I am lost Dave are you now referring to the Hammer screw?

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #38 - Nov 22nd, 2018 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Most anyone I know can figure out which screw is the most central on the action.

Think about it John.

The smaller screw beween the other two smaller screws are on the edge of the action and not towards the center of the action.
So what do you think is the central screw?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  
It was a straight forward and simple question that must of went over your head I guess.

IP Logged

hobert

Reply #40 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Why not just get another bbl for your CPA in 32/40 save you money since you already have the rifle. It is acceptable as a traditional rifle. The stock configuration is a slight problem, but you can add a temporary fix so it recoils straight. The bbl can have an add on so it also recoils straight. The CpA is stronger than most. Otherwise use a High Wall they are fairly reasonable now on the internet and there are lots of parts available. Ballards are great, but they are weak and as we grow older, we tend to make mistakes and a double load is not very friendly

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 23rd, 2018 at 10:15am:
It was a straight forward and simple question that must of went over your head I guess.

John,

Since the lever pivots on the unthreaded "Lever Bolt" (unless CPA changed it to a screw), that leaves three possibilities for what Dave is calling "the central screw".
If Dave's not referring to the "Hammer Screw", then using the Stevens naming conventions, you are left with either the "Trigger Plate Screw long" or the "Trigger Plate Screw short".

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint